Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The previous three posts were great and I honestly had to get up and turn on the lights at the blood mirror tale. I didn't want a ghost to blowout the only candle and eat me. :ohdear:

What slightly irritates me about that video is there's no real good backstory. Is it a demonic haunting or just a random pigman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is that the loving Army Man? Ctrl-f army man since it's too long to post here http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/basics/

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Zippy the Bummer posted:

What's that one story where the author is supposedly recounting a story from his childhood in which he and his friend are being stalked by some creepy dude? It involves someone being buried alive.

Was it the one from reddit no sleep forum? I remember one similar where the person recounting him being stalked as a kid and one incident he heard strange clicking from woods he was playing near. Then things happened.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

That was some good poo poo, but there is one problem with it though. It makes no sense why the stalker wouldn't have just kidnapped the protagonist a lot sooner if he was already able to break into their house and take the protagonist into the woods. It felt like the author originally planed it all to be supernatural but changed it without revising that.

These are spoilers for Penpal and also contain some weird sex stuff if you don't want to read. I wish I didn't read this story tbh.

I think the protagonist waking in the woods forthe first time was less a kidnapping attempt and more a way for the creepy dude to be alone with protagonist and not be interrupted. Even if his mom didn't believe that someone was in his room repeatedly, the creepy dude wouldn't have known this. Whether creepy dude was molesting protagonist or not, I don't know. Then when the creepy dude couldn't continue doing this with the kid since he moved away he turned his attention to Josh.
Remember Josh mentioning that he start sleepwalking? Could be that Josh was getting ethered and this was a substitute for what creepy dude wanted/intended to do with protagonist.

Not to mention either creepy due wasn't hosed in the head enough to do a kidnapping, or he didn't have a place to keep a kid without getting caught. I'm not sure of the timeline with creepy dude living with Maggie and pretending to be Tom. Sometimes mentally ill people escalate instead of straight up going postal. Though the creepy dude seemed fairly lucid with Josh's dad.

I still dont know why mom didn't call the cops after her kid came back from trying to find Boxes at their old house and seeing all that terrible poo poo.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I don't know what to make of this. It's weird and creepy. Not exactly horror, but it does leave me with a sense of unease and confusion. I suggest starting at the '11' in the 'Archivo del blog' list. Maybe someone else can make sense of it all.

http://thebooksofsand.blogspot.com/

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

newts posted:

It's called Backwards and Forwards and in One Place. Just scroll down here: http://jezebel.com/10-of-the-scariest-stories-weve-ever-heard-1652856691

It freaked me out :ohdear:

quote:

Backwards And Forwards And In One Place, from Gnomi Malone

A few years ago, I asked my SO if he had ever seen a ghost. He got really uncomfortable and squirrelly, lots of hemming and hawing. Annoyed, I said "Just say yes or no! I won't judge if you think you have seen a ghost." (I'm a skeptic and figured he didn't want to sound like a rube or something).

Turns out he was hesitant because he believes he saw one but it was while he was deployed on a mission in the Middle East, and he was trying to think of how he could describe it without giving up any classified info. The story is this:

He was in the spooky, vague "Middle East" when there was a commotion from the soldiers watching the perimeter. Apparently, they could see a man about 100 yards away from the camp. He had appeared out of nowhere, no one saw him walking up. The man was just standing there, not doing anything threatening. But since it was a strange man in a war zone, they broke out all the high tech gear to see what was going on. They could see his face, his clothes, his height, but he looked bizarrely distorted and was not giving off a heat signature (they have infrared jimjams and whatnot, it's the freaking military not a piddling ghosthunting troupe here). He was not the temperature of a human being, he was the temperature of the air around him. They had no idea what was going on and people were freaking out.

At this point I said some obvious stuff- "Maybe it was a scarecrow or dummy. Or a shadow. Or the soldiers were really tired and delirious and their eyes were playing tricks on them. Or it was a hologram weapon shaped like a human".

His response: They called different people up to come look at the man, it wasn't just a few soldiers who saw this- dozens of people came to look and everyone confirmed that it was definitely a person. Eventually they decided to send out a team to check this guy out. When they got about 50 yards away, the man started walking- only it didn't look like he was walking toward or away from them, only walking in place. They froze, expecting an attack. But the man never got any closer.

Me- "So he was, uh, moonwalking? OooooOOoohh a terrorist with dance moves, scary!"

His shaky response: It looked like it was trying to walk but instead of moving like a regular person, its bones were breaking and splintering backwards and forwards at the joints. I can't think of a better way to describe it. Its head was jerking around like a puppet. When the convoy got a few yards closer, it disappeared entirely. The team hauled rear end back to camp and as soon as they returned, the man-thing reappeared in its spot. Everyone took turns watching it for an hour or so until it disappeared for good. Didn't walk away, didn't fly or melt or explode, just stood there for a looooong time then vanished.

I really liked that description in the last paragraph.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

hard counter posted:

I have no idea how my Grandfather came to be the owner of the mask.

:stare: Don't apologize for an excellent creepy post. Now I'm scare to see what horrors my family might inherit from the German side of my grandparents.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

deadwing posted:

yo whatup fam I really like reading random people's spooky short stories, the problem is that a lot of them suck, and there's not much content produced here anymore which is bad because a lot of the ones from here were good

so I am here to trawl r/nosleep and repost the actual good stories in this here thread

here's the first one

like a lot of the stories on reddit I think this one goes a little too far in the conclusion with the whole head in the window thing and would have been more effective if it reinforced the weird dog proportions to even spookier levels instead of oooooo a head 2 spooky but this one's pretty good and way better than most of the poo poo posted there

i'll be back with more content freshly stolen from the reddits, I read 15 other highly rated but not very good stories to bring you this one

also too many stories are about kids being abused over there I mean what the gently caress reddit

Thanks for this, or not since gently caress sleeping well tonight. Poor Sandy. If you've come across any others I would e interested in seeing them. I think I'm too old to know how to navigate reddit. *shakes my cyber cane*

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

deadwing posted:

I just read another fifteen or so of the month's "top" stories and they were all poo poo, I'll be sure to post if I read any good ones though

quote:

I had to stop Dale. What he did to Jimmy's son was unthinkable. That rat bastard had gone way too far, and someone had to stop him. I had to find that bastard, but he disappeared after he did what he did. I knew who could find him though, but it would cost. The cost didn't matter none considering what was at stake.

No kidding. I'm sure everyone else has read them by now, but here's a good series. A US search and rescue officer relays various weird poo poo happening during their time on the job. Fair warning for child death and some gore.

https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3ijnt6/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iocju/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3jadum/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3kd90k/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3ppq81/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3sktwj/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

That set goes from Intriguing to 50ft Ant.

How so? Maybe in the lengthiness, sure. I don't get the Uber Badass Hard-as-gently caress Protagonist vibe as they do defer to superiors and comrades when they're clueless. At least that author admits it's not real on their tumblr blog, unlike 50ftant.

By the way, there's some other stories on the tumblr too: http://searchandrescuewoods.tumblr.com/

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

How long are those S&R stories? Any chance of getting them posted in this thread? Pretty much every website is blocked where I work (How SA slipped through the crack I'll never know, but I'm eternally grateful) but they sound pretty interesting.

If they're dead long then no worries.

I didn't repost them because subreddit requests that you don't unless you get permission from the authors. The first one is 1384, second is 3985, third is 4314, fourth is 4905, etc. So I guess usually about 4 thousand words each, including brief intro and exitro.

Maybe you can save them to your email drafts, or send them to your personal email, if you have access on your computer? Or save the whole webpage. Spoiling yourself mildly isn't a big deal if you see the end paragraphs, as it's a couple short blurb/tales in a single entry. Not a shyamalan What A Twist! type novel.

By the way, same guy has a new one up. Please Avoid Open Water: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3xxhzh/please_avoid_open_water/ This one is 2346 words long.

The first two paragraphs, which might e able to tell you if you like the writing style and where it might be going:

quote:

I can't really talk about what I do. It's not that it's classified or anything, but it's definitely a specialized field, and the last thing I need is for someone I know to read this and report it to my bosses, which they almost certainly would do. What we do, we have to be really mentally on our game, because if we're not a lot of things can go wrong really quickly, and a lot of money can be lost. A lot of your money, frankly, since your taxes are going toward funding the things I need to do my job. What I can tell you is that what I do involves me being out on the open ocean for long periods of time, in a very small submersible that is capable of going down a very, very long way. It sounds a lot more exciting than it is, I can promise you that, but it's an interesting job, to say the least. Although it's a lot more cramped in there than you'd ever believe. This is not a job for the claustrophobic. It's also not a job for people that are easily scared, or prone to any kind of panic. I'm a level-headed guy, I don't scare easily, and I'm pretty small, so I was sort of uniquely suited to this work. I really enjoy it, actually.
The only thing I don't enjoy is what I want to talk to you guys about. Or, rather, give you a heads-up about.

We started noticing them about a year ago, when I was doing some research at a pretty shallow depth, all things considering. At first we thought it was just some kind of weird camera anomaly, because the pressure really messes with things down here. We have a camera mounted on a little arm that extends from the sub. There's a few arms that do different things, but the one with the camera is important because that's how we can record things like sulfur lakes near volcanoes, which is something we didn't know existed until recently. But as I mentioned, the pressure can really take a toll on the equipment, and glitches are to be expected.

Some other interesting ones that, in my opinion, are relatively decent. Better than that 'tee hee here's how to lose weight girls!! Get pragnant then miscarry' bullshit.

The Shadows of The Woods [2907 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3zi6ad/the_shadows_of_the_woods/
Gets a little cheesy gore-y, but it's a quick read. The ending reminded me of a tale from the wendiggo thread, where a bunch of Native kids on a reervation were doing some dare to run away from a road to touch a rock or cactus at night, and when they were running ack to the main road, they heard huge running things jogging along with them.

Room 733 [7307 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2jxke8/room_733/
A bit conversation heavy, but it's no John Galty monologuing. Just two college students and room troubles. HAUNTED room troubles.

I Was An Air Traffic Controller
Part 1: https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2unmhs/i_was_an_air_traffic_controller_at_atlantic/ [3064 words]
Part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3fvrlw/i_was_an_air_traffic_controller_at_atlantic/ [3221 words]
This one I really recommend reading. Strange things happening at an airfield in the middle of bumfuck. Though I can't say I enjoyed the ending.

A Campfire Story [1761 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2ioklx/a_campfire_story/
Not so terrifying, but still enjoyable imo. It's a campfire tale.

I've been getting strange letters from the St. Louis prison [1602 words]
https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3i8bzr/ive_been_getting_strange_letters_from_the_st/
Short but sweet. Like out of a compilation novel, though maybe one aimed for a teen crowd. No explicit gore, at least. Premise falls apart if you think too hard though.

Hey /r/relationships....
part 1: https://wh.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2aszwl/hey_rrelationships_i_finally_took_the_plunge_and/ [1657 words]
part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2ayfh2/hey_rrelationships_part_2/ [2962 words]
Has anyone heard of V. C. Andrews?

---------------------

edit because it's not worth a second post:

Oh hey by the way, if you see a story called 'pete the moonshiner' it's actually about child rape. So don't bother. Spoiler: two boys tell a third boy a scary story and that makes them lock themselves in a bedroom--for a sleepover?? idk???--and in the morning the third boy wakes up with no memory and a pain in the bowels. Then when the third boy is in college lab he smells ether, which the othrs kids were drugging third boy with to rape him. Tada that's the whole loving worthless unimaginative bullshit story.

value-brand cereal has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Jan 5, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I've been rereading some of the older threads, and while 50ft ant makes it pretty loving impossible at times, there's some gems in there. This one I like:

Abbott Costello posted:

I love these threads, and have been looking forward to reading these tales, always a bit bummed that I've never had anything to contribute. Until this summer.

Definitely isn't super scary, but it's certainly something I can't explain.

Back in June, I was trying desperately to sleep; Chicago,IL had received one of its first real heat waves, and the only A/C unit is in the wall near my dining room. For the entire time I've lived here, (5+ years), my room has always been ungodly warm. My bed is this huge monstrosity that dang near takes up most of the room, and for comfort, I'd placed a large box fan near the foot of my bed (on the foot board). I tried to lull myself to sleep, watching Mythbusters.

It was halfway through the first show, when I'd... I'm not sure I want to say "sensed", but... something was different. I looked down to see if my cat, Renfield was scuttling about the bed, when I noticed the fan was moved. I'd placed it near the right side of my bed, but it was now in the middle of the foot board. Odd, but I figured it was on pretty high, so it may have jostled over, somehow. So, I moved it back and then placed some books to anchor it on either side. I went back to watching the show, and settled in under my sheet, finally getting to that cozy stage before succumbing to sleep.

I started to feel pretty warm for someone with a fan on them, so I rearranged the sheets a bit to cool down. That didn't work, so I sat up to fix the pillows and turn on my other side. When I sat up, the books on the left side of the fan and the fan itself were back in the middle of the bed. Now, I was curious. The books weren't super heavy, but enough to stop a fan escaping. I tried to think of what would have happened. My next logical thought was that maybe, Renfield stepped on the cord, and it moved. I'm not sure why I would not have heard that, but it's not uncommon. Happy with my genius, I moved the fan and books back and attempted to sleep again. Silly me.

Renfield finally came to bed, and mewed to get my attention, and headbutted me so that I'd wake enough to pet him. I chanced a glance at the fan, and it was where I'd left it. I was getting cranky from not being able to sleep now, so I decided I'd just take one more bathroom trip and then get a quick drink of water. When I returned, the fan was back in the middle of the foot board. I gave in, and stated to no one in particular, "Thanks for telling me you're here, although it's a little warm, and I can't sleep with the fan moving off of me. Stay, if you like, but please leave my fan alone tonight. Thanks!"

This time, when I hit the pillow, I was out like a light. In the morning the fan was right where it was supposed to be. I called my mom to tell her about the incident, and she thought about it. "What day is it?" I told her it was June 29th. "Ah," she said, "that must've been your uncle; it's his birthday."

So, that's my story; I'm still trying to think of logical reasons for the fan moving, but it's also nice to think that my uncle was telling me "Hey! I'm here!" He was a joker in life, so I can see that happening.

The fan started moving again a couple days ago, so after the third wake up, I just talked again. "Thanks for letting me know you're here; I'm not sure if it's [uncle], Daddy, or someone else, but please don't move my fan again tonight. Please, give me a different sign."

I dreamed of my cat, Squeakers, that passed away. He was so big in life that when he died, the doc asked, "Do you know how much he weighs? Our scales only go up to 25lbs..."

Now I understand how the cord could move the fan and the books. A rather hefty ghost cat could've potentially stepped on the cord in an effort to mosey about the room. I suppose I won't really know

:kimchi: ghost cat, woo ooh :love:

Woops I hit post too soon. The second one I like which is from one of the creepy monster / cryptid threads:

Romanshoes:

I have an allegedly true windigo/wendigo story, courtesy of my dad and several of his friends. One of them claims to have lived in the area where this happened and was six or seven when it happened, so it was probably in the early/mid-'60s.

Gray Eyes Man, or Even Awesome Old Indians Are Eaten By Young Demons

This took place somewhere in northern Saskatchewan, in a mostly Native American area. A few miles into the woods from the main town, there was a small lake with an island. An old man lived in the cabin on the island - an old Assiniboine named Gray Eyes Man. If he wanted to go to town in the summer, he would canoe across the lake. If it was winter and the lake was frozen, he would snowshoe across. He didn't go to town much - he was sort of a survivalist, could maybe be considered a hermit. Still, he was very well regarded by the community, mostly because every winter there was a pack of wolves who liked to walk across the ice and chill on Gray Eyes Man's island. Old Indian guy who doesn't care that there are about twenty wolves scratching at his door? Old Indian guy who lets those wolves sleep on his rug? Old Indian guy who wears traditional clothing everywhere and is friends with wolves and lives the traditional way and doesn't talk to white guys on principle? Oh yeah, he gets his respect.

One year, Gray Eyes Man gets the last of his supplies from town, snowshoes across the lake, and closes the door - he probably won't be seen until spring. The next day, a really bad blizzard whips up. A younger guy, maybe in his twenties, gets lost in the snow. They can't send out a search and rescue team because the storm is too bad, and by the time it stops there's pretty much no hope for the lost guy. Honestly, the biggest chance he has of surviving is stumbling across the frozen lake onto Gray Eyes Man's island, and the chances of that have got to be astronomical. His family has a memorial service.

Winter passes, there are some more bad storms, you can hear the wolves howling, and finally spring comes. The wolves scamper across the remaining chunks of ice, looking thinner than they usually do. That's weird: usually Gray Eyes Man feeds them like they're dogs. Speaking of which, where is Gray Eyes Man? He hasn't been seen in months. Usually he comes to town when the wolves leave. Someone should go check on him. Two guys volunteer to do so.

They get to the cabin and notice first the gigantic pile of firewood. It doesn't look like it's been touched in a while. Second thing they notice is the door, which has been pulled down. Oh, man. Either Gray Eyes Man lived the whole winter with no door, or he's dead.

They go inside to make sure and immediately run back out.

Police come and take the body - the bodies - away. Two bodies. One of Gray Eyes Man, one of someone wearing the young guy's clothes, the young guy who got lost way back at the beginning of winter. Both of them look like they've been chewed by wolves. No, scratch that. Young guy has wolf marks all over him, some of his bones are missing, everything's been gnawed on. Gray Eyes Man is definitely missing some pieces, but he isn't a skeleton. He's frozen, looks like a mummy. And those bite marks aren't wolf teeth. More like - hey - that...

Gray Eyes Man had been attacked by the younger guy. There are chunks missing. He had his throat chewed open, has fingernail marks across his chest, bite marks.

The young guy had turned into a windigo and killed a member of the pack before the wolves could break down the door.

Moral of the story: Do not let strangers into your cabin in winter. They will eat you.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I'm starting to think it's about time someone makes one of these threads for 2016... I'm tired of reading anti-Semitic conspiracies on /x/ when I could be reading bomb-rear end ghost stories

Maybe just an all encompassing thread would be good. It's a bit late to make it for 2016 in the middle of the year, I think. I can't write for poo poo, but maybe I can repost some tales from the archives?

value-brand cereal has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 31, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Also it's maybe a grab bag of themes and topics, but The Edge of Nightfall has some old radio plays that are sometimes horror / ghost stories: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheEdgeOfNightfall/videos

Some videos on Frosted Mini Fears is audiobooks of horror / ghost stories accompanied by unsettling or interesting video imagery. It's sometimes a crapshoot: https://www.youtube.com/user/FrostedMiniFears/videos

Midnight Marinara has both humorous, not taking it seriously audiobooks of stories from creepypasta and other horror / ghost tales:
This is the 'serious stuff' playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIP-JSgz_uW9EFXAgToXarGn_lukLsx46
Note: you may need to skip a bit ahead into videos to avoid the long, mildly obnoxious intros.

I wish there were more quality audio recordings like thelittlefears youtube channel but I suppose you get what you can get.

value-brand cereal has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Aug 31, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

samu3lk posted:

Bigtime. Thelittlefears was fantastic. Creepy stories, well produced, in an even tone. Too many people that do this try to "act" or they haven't rehearsed at all and mispronounce words and sound like they're reading.

I don't have a link since I'm on my phone, but I'd also like to hear more like the Kimberly Story. It's not a great story, but the guy telling it is really convincing and has the gift of gab and makes it really engaging.

Is there anything out there like that?

Unfortunately not. Getting the atmosphere just right seems to take some audio technical finagling as well as some skill in voice acting that most hobbyists don't have just yet. The closets I would think is the Edge of Nightfall ones. I think they did The Thing on the Fourble Board? Unless the one of Quiet, Please is a different recording. I can't check right now, sorry.

Some other youbtube channels. I haven't listen to everything on the channels but most seem pretty decent? It can be hit or miss since stories are written by a variety of people.

Sort of like TheLittleFears baby sister: Mithril Audio. Some background atmosphere, decent voice acting that doesn't stumble and comes across as pretty beleiveable, the audio is clear. Thoughthere's no accompanying video, which isn't really a knock against them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoKw9LnjOa3wY3n1rDXxHeg

And Creeparoni is the middle sibling of the thelittlefears ghost family. Pretty good stories, voice acting, and ghost / horror stories. Plus they have some interesting video footage to go alone with it. Some stories are pretty garbage, but the VA didn't write them so I can't blame them for it.

I Read Creepy Pastas is another youtube for horror stories. Their voice acting is pretty good and not monotone stumbling, though you will be aware of the microphone due to puffing and such. I haven't listened to everything on their playlist, I think they're pretty good if anyone wants to check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nobody has made one, so feel free to. Though what I kind of miss from pre-GBS 1.0 mix up was the halloween scary videos/youtubes thread. I remember a ton of freaky videos from it.

• Locked thread