Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd say its pretty integral to the (bad) story. The story isn't really about the spire in the woods. Its about this goony gently caress not recognizing he's being a creep. The spire just ties elements of the story together, rather poorly.

Don't be a rapist or you're gonna get sodomized by a clockwork corpse.

Yeah, I really liked the story and googled about it a bit and found an interview with the author. Apparently he was intentionally trying to convey the importance of enthusiastic consent and making sure things are mutual, so the story about the clockmaker whose self-image was that of a good man suffering who had made some mistakes is supposed to mirror the behavior of Rob who was sort of a creep and the narrator who was a major creep. You even have the situation where Kerry was kissing his neck as a foil and to show this cuts both ways.

I was originally thinking it could have been just as good without the sexual assault angle, and in truth it didn't have to play out exactly the way it did, but I considered it a little and I think it's pretty well-done and respectful and dehumanizes neither nor the perpetrator nor the survivor. I also think it treats mental illness in the same way! I also appreciated the trigger warnings, especially in a community as hostile to compassion as Reddit, ha.

Just one dude's POV, tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Fair criticism. I definitely agree the religion stuff in particular was ham-handed.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think that's the one in this post? I really liked it too. As much as I love the creepypasta I'm down for some more first-person remembrances itt

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I'm starting to think it's about time someone makes one of these threads for 2016... I'm tired of reading anti-Semitic conspiracies on /x/ when I could be reading bomb-rear end ghost stories

• Locked thread