Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I had been planning on swooping into this thread and expressing the sentiment of "nosleep can suck but search and rescue's great" so... uh, no.
They are not 50 foot ant ever.
Later they start getting a cast of sorts and embellishing these weird events into a storyline, making them a little less believable, but there is no self insert or other 50 foot ant inanity. At no point is anyone more than helpless against whatever is in the woods, which no one ever comes close to knowing.
Also unlike 50 foot ant there's so much imagination being pumped into these stories, even in part 7 there are new surprises.

They really tap into the fear of being alone in the woods.
I think the number of people still being confused and shocked that the stories are now admitted not to be real attests to how well written they are. (whereas I doubt anyone beyond Old GBS could like any of the self indulgent trype 50 foot ant writes)
I especially like how bigfoot has been reinvented from just an undiscovered animal speces into a terrifying child-kidnapping bogeyman. Reminds me of "cowman talks funny" but made worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well then could there be another thread

because I like well written spooky stories and I don't believe any of you

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Nichole posted:

I enjoyed it as well, thanks for sharing.

And thank you to everyone who posts the good stories from No Sleep. I hate trying to wade through all the creative writing exercises there to find the actually good stories. Search and Rescue was pretty decent. The only thing that kept getting me was whenever the stairs were mentioned I remember that stupid old thing that goons made up to try to spot each other in the real world. Something about if you thought someone might be a goon instead of just asking them like a normal person you asked them if they had stairs in their house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the nosleep podcast is trash. maybe check out pseudopod

Does it stick to spooky and eerie

I tried one spooky story podcast, forgot which one, and it featured a lame story about slowly dying in a stuck elevator with nothing paranormal

• Locked thread