Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Pretty sure I saw this story here but I'm not positive. It was about a soldier who had a super-scary encounter with a djinn, while stationed either in Iraq or Afghanistan. There are a whole lot of djinn stories told by soldiers who were deployed in the ME -- djinn are apparently like the Bigfoot of the Hindu Kush -- but this one was especially unnerving. The djinn looked just like an ordinary person except he was only visible through night-vision goggles, and he was dancing in an unnatural, disjointed way. Apparently witnessed by everyone who was on duty that night. Anybody remember this, or was it not on SA at all and I'm Alzing out early? Thanks in advance.

spite house has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

newts posted:

It's called Backwards and Forwards and in One Place. Just scroll down here: http://jezebel.com/10-of-the-scariest-stories-weve-ever-heard-1652856691

It freaked me out :ohdear:
THAT IS IT, and it IS really freaky, and now I'm embarrassed as poo poo that I saw it on Cat Lady Central and thought it originated here. Jesus. Thanks so much, though!

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Heard a good creepy story tonight and figured y'all would appreciate it.

I'm currently visiting my best friend and his husband, who live in a teeny-tiny town in rural Louisiana, north of Lake Pontchartrain. BFF's hubby Kevin grew up here. All his family and childhood friends are still around, and it seems like everybody has a UFO story. The best one came from Kevin's late grandfather, and here it is as related by Kevin.

Grandpa owned a grocery, feed and bait shop on the highway that runs between this tiny town and another tiny town. Every single night of his life he'd be home for supper at six on the nose, except once when he pulled a no-show. This would have been in the early 70s, so cell phones clearly weren't a thing, and his folks were frantic. Nobody in the neighborhood had seen hide or hair of him after he closed the store, the police weren't helpful, and everyone assumed something terrible had happened -- until he walked into his house at ten, looking completely shellshocked.

"I left the store at a quarter to six, same as always," he said. "I was driving home when I saw a really bright light in the middle of the highway. Nobody else was around, and the light made it so I couldn't see anything at all -- it was like a road-construction spotlight pointed right in my eyes. I stopped the car and got out, and the next thing I knew I was back in the car and driving right through the middle of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. This is how long it took to get home." He was never late for supper again, and Kevin says he stuck to that story until the day he died.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Somehow I doubt there was a whorehouse in whatever mile radius would've been necessary to make this idea plausible.
Actually, you'd be surprised. It's kinda "True Detective" down here. However I really doubt that's what he was up to, if only because he was described to me as the kind of old-school Southern stoic who never ever deviated from his routine. If he was cutting up in whorehouses, always possible, he wasn't doing it at six PM.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The freakiest thing about the SAR stories, to my mind, is that the dude is claiming he made them all up. The drat stairs --someone must've told him about them, and I believe he embroidered the stories for posting purposes, but I swear to God those fuckers are real. I've seen them, in some unincorporated wilderness near Canandaigua Lake in upstate New York, and my extremely skeptical parents have seen them too, in the early 70s, while backpacking in the Canadian Rockies.

The ones I saw were not too far away from civilization -- distances in the Finger Lakes are not great -- but they distinguished themselves from the random falling-down redneck architecture that litters the region by being entirely too new-looking and clean for having nothing whatsoever around them. No foundations, no chimney or fireplace, no sign that anything was ever there apart from the stairs. They were maybe five feet high and made of particle board, with peel-and-stick linoleum tile on the steps. I was ten or eleven, and I couldn't tell you why they freaked me out so much. I also never found them again despite knowing the terrain pretty well, which made me feel like an idiot when I tried to show them to my brother.

My mom says that the stairs she and my dad saw were way the gently caress out in Middle of Nowhere, western Alberta. Nothing manmade for miles and miles except this staircase, which was a little bigger than the one I saw and looked aged, like something you'd find in an old hotel or saloon. She described the experience as spooky in its lack of spookiness. She and my dad, experienced backpackers both, went "huh stairs" and moved on and it didn't occur to them until much later how peculiar it was. I only found out about this after I found the SAR stories and casually asked Mom if she'd ever seen anything unusual in her years tromping around in the woods.

They were just stairs. No wendigos, no time warp, no missing body parts -- only stairs, but still goddamned strange and I'd forgotten all about them until I read those stories. Eesh.

• Locked thread