Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah that was a good read. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Quoting myself from the old thread, as I wanted to update the story and save myself having to tell it all again.

princecoo posted:

I've posted before in the thread, about some of the weird things I've experienced, mostly in Roma, Queensland but this poo poo takes the cake.

A couple of weeks ago I was going to go Brisbane (my states capital city - Queensland, Australia) by plane for a union meeting, but I'd be away for a few days and my wife is studying her masters degree (in med science if anyone is interested) and she wasn't looking forward to studying/doing assessment with our 2 kids running around (aged 2 and 3) without my help.

So I contacted my parents who live in Mitchell (89km west of Roma) and they agreed to take the boys for a few days. My dad was supposed to come pick them up but got caught up doing something so I drove them out to Mitchell.

That was fine, I had a nice visit and stayed for dinner, then left at around 7pm. As I left Mitchell I realised that the light in the back of the car was still on. The car is a 2013 model Holden Captiva, an AWD SUV and I guess one of the kids must have pressed the light on while we were unloading their stuff from the back. I was going to pull over and turn it off but decided to wait since the sides of the road are pretty lovely out there and I didn't want to get a flat tire.

Anyway, I continued along for a while and for those playing at home with a map, I had just gone through Amby (kind of like a halfway point between Mitchell and Roma, it's a town with a pub, a general store and a fire station, not much else) when I glanced in my rear view mirror and did a double take.

There was a woman sitting in the rear passenger seat.

I got a good long look in the mirror. She looked like she could be pretty, but her face itself was just shadows, I think because of the light on in the back of the vehicle. She wore a black off the shoulder shirt/blouse. She had a long neck, and the shirt had I suppose what you'd call a medium neckline. Her hair was black or dark, with a fringe. She sat and just looked out the window.

After getting a good look and making sure I wasn't seeing a trick of the light or something, I did a shoulder check, and yep, still there real as anything.

So now I'm freaking out. I know there was no-one in the car when I left Mitchell, and I didn't stop at all.

I decided to talk. I asked her if I could help her, and if she was alright. No answer. She just kept staring out the window.

I didn't stop, I just kept driving, mirror checking constantly and shoulder checking occasionally to make sure I wasn't halucinating. At one point she noiselessly and instantly switched sides, and was sitting behind me, which freaked me out even more. But she just kept staring out the window, but then she went back to the other side again.

She stayed there until we got to Muckadilla (pub, police station, town hall) and I checked my speed to slow down as we passed through, and she was gone when I looked up. Never came back.

I'm a critic, I'll admit that, but I have zero explanation for that. I never felt in danger or threatened, just really freaked that there was someone I didn't know in my car. She never even looked at me.

This is the only first-hand experience I've had that I can't just pass off as something explainable.

That was in November of 2014. Since then, I have seen the woman maybe 6 more times, under nearly identical circumstances. I was told by my father that he remembers a girl and her two brothers flipping their vehicle along that stretch of highway, killing them all back in the 70's. I have looked into this in quite a lot of depth, even going so far as to speak with my doctor about possible hallucinations. I'm fine. My mother has always said it was unlikely for me to get the same hallucination, at the same times, at the same place, but never anywhere else.

I looked into records as far back as the 1800s, scoured local archives and generally done more research on this than is probably healthy, and found nothing. I can't even corroborate my fathers car accident idea, so I guess he got the stretch of road wrong.

I have not seen her for a couple of months. My encounters have not changed; she still just sits quietly and, I feel, sadly, until the approach to Muckadilla, and disappears. Once she did sit up front, and I got to see more of her - specifically the jeans I thought she must have been wearing the first few times turned out to be a dark skirt with small white flowers printed on it. I have still not seen her face, but I get the impression that she is pretty, from the semi-profile I can see, as she never stops looking out the window.

I don't know.

Anyway, a new story.

When my wife and I had our first son, we set up the spare room into a nursery. His name is Zachary, and he is 4, as of September just gone. We've since had Samuel, who is 3 in February.
Anyway, when Zach was only a few months old, he was in his cot, and I was in this rocking chair we have next to the cot. Our routine was to rock him to sleep in the chair, then put him to bed in the cot. Occasionally he would fuss a bit when put in the cot, so we'd sit in the chair and hold his hand or pat his back through the bars.

He had fallen asleep, so I stood up - at which point a laminated placemat with his name on it and a cartoon picture of a pirate on a beach fell from the ceiling, and down the wall opposite. It was part of a goody bag sent to us from my wifes parents, and it had somehow been picked up and stuck to the roof for the entirety of bedtime. My wife and I are far too short to reach the roof without a ladder (even with a chair we can barely reach light sockets) and I remember seeing the placemat on the ground wit his toys earlier in the evening.

So what moved it?

I've said it before: I'm a critic. In the years since, I guess I'd thought that our ducted air conditioning system might have, somehow, lifted the mat up. Maybe my standing changed the airflow/pressure in the room somehow and allowed it to drop.

Now, I'm not so sure.

My wife has taken the children to Cairns, a good 16 hours drive from home, for Christmas with her family. I had to work, and truth be told, don't exactly get along with my in-laws anyway, so I stayed home alone. It's been great. I've been able to sleep in, get some work done on the house, redo the driveway and finish the front gate - allowing us to finally get our dog home (he was in a spot of trouble for being an escape artist).

Saturday, I was woken by wet licks to the face, and the big, heavy and above all very affectionate paws of our Husky/Malamute Thor. It was 5:30am, and he needed to pee. So I got up, let him out, then returned to bed. I had barely started to drift off again when there was an almight crash and lego was everywhere.

Zachary loves his lego. He has a big plastic box full of it, and he makes all kinds of fantastic things, which he claims to custom tailor for us - until they inevitably need to be dismantled for something new. The day before they left for Cairns, Sam decided to throw a tantrum and emptied the box all over their room. Zachary was displeased, and pushed his brother over. The punishment was the lego goes away. We put it all back in the plastic tub, and it went into our room, on a trunk next to my wifes dresser. There it sat, level and pushed back against the wall, all week.

Until at 5:30am Saturday morning, when it abruptly got flung across the room.
My first thought, of course, was the dog. But the dog was outside, no doubt watering the orange tree. The cat? The cat has been hiding in the shed since the dog came home.

So, in light of what I have now witnessed on that lonely stretch of highway, I no longer seek to jump to any conclusions, or try to explain away these things.

I just hope this is as exciting as these... encounters get.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Okay.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
2 spooky 4 me

Avshalom posted:

anyway the ghosts were all the women who'd died on ghost island, such as nude nellie who'd died of hypothermia and anguished annabelle who fell off the high bluff while playing pokemon go, the silly bitch

i laughed

• Locked thread