Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

I always like the more outrageous and obscure cryptid/paranormal stories. Don't really care whether or not they are true. They just need to be entertaining.

The Van Meter Visitor is pretty weird/enjoyable, I think:

The Van Meter incident actually happened over a series of 5 nights, from early morning Tuesday Sept 29th – October 3rd 1903. On the first night, at about 1 am., respected businessman U.G. Griffith noticed what he thought was a spot light moving around on the rooftop of one of the downtown buildings. At first he thought it might be a burglar, but when he approached it jumped to another rooftop across the street and disappeared.

The next night (again around 1 am.) Dr. Alcott, the town doctor, was sleeping in a room at his office when he was awoken by a bright light shining into his face through the window. He rushed outside with gun in hand only to discover the source of the light was a tall humanoid with bat-like wings. The blinding light came from a blunt horn in the creature’s forehead. He fired five shots at the creature at close range. After seeing the shots has no noticeable effect he fled.

The bank where Clarence (Peter) Dunn encountered the creature

The next night local banker, Clarence (Peter) Dunn, had an encounter with the Visitor. After hearing about the previous night’s encounters, Mr. Dunn felt he should watch over the bank. Fearing burglars, he brought along his shotgun for the night’s watch. Around 1 am he heard a “strangling noise” outside. Before he could investigate he was hit full in the face with a blinding beam that shone through the font window. The light suddenly switched off and then back on again as if scanning the room, finally swinging back at him. He could make out “some kind of great form” behind the light. Dunn fired his shotgun at the mysterious being, right through the bank’s front window. Then it vanished. In the morning he noticed sets of large three-toed foot prints outside the bank and claimed to have made plaster casts of them.

By the following day the previous nights events had circulated around the town. Later that night local hardware store owner O.V. White had an encounter with the Visitor. He was jolted awake by a metallic rasping sound outside his 2nd floor room above his hardware store on Main St. He grabbed his gun and moved toward the window. Outside he saw the Visitor perched close by on the crossbeam of a telephone pole. White, a known marksman, took deliberate aim and fired at the creature. It had no effect, and only seemed to awaken the Visitor. The creature emitted a stupefying odor that overpowered White, knocking him unconscious.

The shots awoke White’s neighbor Sidney Gregg, who raced outside to see what the commotion was about. He watched in disbelief as the “monster” descended the telephone pole after the manner of a parrot, using its huge beak. Upon reaching the ground it stood erect, and by Mr. Gregg’s estimates it was “at least eight feet high.” Whatever it was, the light from its forehead was as “bright…as an electric headlight.” The light again darted about just as it had the nights before in a “searching” motion. The creature paused only for a moment before taking off towards the old coal mine.

The following night strange sounds were heard coming from the abandoned coal mine at the edge of town described by a local as “though Satan and a regiment of imps were coming forth for a battle.” The Visitor, accompanied by a second creature, were spotted emerging from the mine and taking off into the night. A large crowd of armed men gathered at the mine to ambush the creatures when they returned. They were reported as having enough firepower to “have sunk the Spanish fleet”. Shortly before dawn the creatures returned. The crowd opened fire on the creatures. To their bewilderment, the creatures were totally immune to their assault and only gave off the terrible odor as a response before they crawled back down into the mine. The next day it was reported that “a force of men has been set to work to barricade the mouth of the mine” sealing the creatures inside. The creatures were never seen again.

Credit to http://thebigfootdiaries.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-twisted-strange-tale-of-van-meter.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread