Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Oh wow, Army-Man! Very few stories have truly stuck with me, but Army-Man is forever seared into my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Kimmalah posted:

This mention of haunted libraries just reminded me of the Willard Library in Evansville, Indiana. Which is apparently so haunted that they've had webcams set up all over the library 24/7 for years. Most of the captures are dumb "orb" stuff or photographic problems, but there's definitely some weird poo poo going on in that place.

Anyone seen anything yet? Had this running next to me in work hoping to see more Army-Man. (Even though he's naked and pale in the story :()

And only now do I notice the giant text saying, "CAMERAS ARE DOWN!" I'm a god drat idiot.

Drunken Baker has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I was abducted by aliens once. True story... Kind of.

I was about 28 at the time (33 now) and hadn't really thought about aliens in the sense of them abducting people since the X-Files were a big deal back in the 90s. I'm a big fan of fantasy/sci-fi but when I think of aliens I think of the Xenomorphs and Predators as opposed to little grey dudes, so when it happened I was a bit surprised to say the least.

I'd fallen on hard times so I was back living with me mum and dad in my old room. So I was in a comfortable, safe space and added to that they live in a heavily built up area of Liverpool which is a far cry from the back water roads and isolated farm houses you'd expect these things to happen, but then again I'm not an alien so maybe they felt like mixing it up a bit.

I couldn't tell you the exact time. I don't have a beside clock and when I woke up I was paralyzed and couldn’t check my phone. I was aware of sleep paralysis and I’d had it a couple of times before this, so I tried to relax and sleep it off, but something shifted underneath me and I realised I was moving. Not sideways or down, like in some falling dream, but up. I was levitating and rising higher and higher with each second. My sheets were still draped over me as I was perfectly horizontal and I could feel them dangling to my sides and air at my back.
Next I began to float backwards, towards my window and I grew numb. I couldn’t feel it but I looked on as I passed through my curtains, blinds and then the double glazed glass. I remember looking down, past my body at the outside of the house as I continued to float away like some giant Scouse zeppelin into the cold summer night.
I wasn’t too far above the house skyline when I was brought into a ship. I didn’t see its shape, but I was being guided down a hallway. Bright, non-reflective silver hallways, lined every now and then with a kind of ribbed section. Like you’d see on a ship, not sure how ships are put together but I presume they connect the hallways together somehow, but I digress.
I should point out here that I was terrified. I knew full well what was going on and as great as it’d be to meet an alien life-form It I’d rather not do so in such a vulnerable state, I’m sure you’d agree. Anyway, it was when I saw the small, grey globe just to my right out of my peripheral vision that something clicked. It was like a lightswitch had gone on it my head and I knew this was just an extension of the sleep paralysis. It was a dream, some mad, mad dream. Trouble was, after I realised this I’d broke the illusion and nothing more happened. That corridor continued on for a few minutes more before I just fell asleep for real that time. (OR DIIIID IIIII? Yes, yes I did.)

The point to all this is that despite it being a dream it felt and appeared SO real. If I had no idea what night terrors were, I’d be convinced %100 that I was genuinely abducted by aliens. I can easily see how people can make those kinds of claims and pass lie-detector tests. I think the only other night terror was kind of like that broken-boned moonwalking dude in the Middle East. Some guy with long hair “headbanging” and moshing in my room, but his arms looked like their bones had been shattered as they thrashed and jiggled horribly underneath his hunched body. Real weird.

As an aside, would this be the place to talk about shared dreamscapes and the like?

Now, I’m no hippy and I don’t think we can ACTUALLY venture into each other’s minds, but I do believe that somewhere along our evolutionary path there’s a lump of jelly somewhere in our brains that’s retained some kind of shared knowledge from years and years ago. It’s why people have animalistic dreams about running on their hands, why people sometimes dream of having their limbs swapped around and more confusingly, the one I’m about to explain.

I’ve brought this up before and I know I’ve read someone else having this same dream, almost to a T. I had it twice as a child, once whilst delirious from fever. No idea if that had any bearing on it, but whatever.

It starts in a bright, white void. I know a void means the absence of light, but anyway. There’s nothing bar a small, black dot on the horizon which gradually grows. Pretty soon it looks like a tiny, little egg. It’s about this time when you notice that it’s not growing, nor is it getting closer. It’s you. You’re speeding towards this dark shape at an alarming rate. The egg continues to grow and it’s massive, beyond gargantuan and towards its upper left quadrant there’s a split. It doesn’t meet the “edge” of the shape, but beyond that break is another blinding, white void. There’s a yawning noise accompanied by an immense pressure as you fly into the crack in the egg.

It’s the damndest thing and years later I saw something similar in the attract sequence of Alien 3 for the Super Nintendo and it made me feel queasy whenever it came on. Anyway, that’s just a few mad things your head can do when you’re asleep.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I saw a video on youtiube about The Rake and someone brought up that it was a fictional creature and linked to it's inception thread or wherever and people countered this with, "Maybe peoples imaginations can create these things!"

Makes you think.

Mostly about how dumb people can be, but still... Makes you think.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Pretty sure you have to murder someone now to appease him.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

coronatae posted:

And since those early stories had been plausible it irritated a lot of people when the later stories took that hard left into weirdness.

Yeah, it's weird to say this in a ghost thread, but some of the more implausible ones (And the ones that are written like creative fiction) never really sit well with me.

Mad dwarves in a school basement though? Not heard that one before. Loved it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How long are those S&R stories? Any chance of getting them posted in this thread? Pretty much every website is blocked where I work (How SA slipped through the crack I'll never know, but I'm eternally grateful) but they sound pretty interesting.

If they're dead long then no worries.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Wedemeyer posted:

I didn't repost them because subreddit requests that you don't unless you get permission from the authors. The first one is 1384, second is 3985, third is 4314, fourth is 4905, etc. So I guess usually about 4 thousand words each, including brief intro and exitro.

Thanks for this. I figured they'd be a bit too long. I'll figure something out, thanks for the links!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Len posted:

Anyone listen to the nosleep podcast? I've been going through it at work and the quality is so incredibly hit or miss it's insane. I'm wondering if they save the good stories for the paid version.

I've noticed the excessive swearing (to make the story feel more real, I guess) prevalent in most creepypasters sounds even stupider and out of place when it's read aloud.

• Locked thread