Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'd like to hear more details about this thing, if you have them. I read this post right before hopping into the shower, and while showering I came up with a theory that it may be some kind of mountain-and-cave-dwelling desert ape. I came up with a bunch of possible theories about it's physical characteristics and behavior too, but I won't bore this thread with details unless people feel like hearing them.

Good story. :)

Eh, I say go for it. Cryptid chat can be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was there when Slenderman was born and he wasn't even the most interesting thing in that thread. Not to mention a few pages after that the "Create Paranormal Photographs" thread became the "Make Your Own Slenderman Thing." Dude had a great idea though. Does that goon get anything at all for all this stuff being made from his creation?

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jul 17, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

empty sea posted:

I think it was called The Noise or The Sound? I remember it but I haven't been able to find it since. Good story though, if anyone can find it.

That's mine and it actually happened. I'll post it tomorrow when I get to a computer if you want. Otherwise I think I posted it in the unexplained/mystery thread several years ago.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Oct 26, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, so its been a long time snce I've told this story, but since a couple people actually remembered it I figured I'd go ahead and tell it again. I actually spoke to Tony about this a couple days ago because we hadn't seen each other in a few years and it was a Halloween party and I guess I had been remembering things a little wrong, but the gyst of the story is the same.

So maybe back in like 2002 one of my friends Tony had just split up with his wife. They had been having problems, and we all knew it was coming, but since he was the first of us to get married it was kinda sad to see him be the first one to get divorced as well. He wasn't taking it too well, obviously, so a few of us decided that we should take him camping to get some good old fashioned male bounding in there for him. Nothing fixes a broken heart quite like getting drunk with a bunch of good friends around a fire for a couple of days and sleeping outside. He was pretty excited for it so we loaded everything up for a few days of "roughing it" and drove out into some random woods my friend Bryan knew about. I know we weren't supposed to be camping there at all, but who cares? This was for Tony and whats a little fine or something to get our friend out of his slump?

Well, we get deep enough in and find a little side turn off road and decide to park and hoof our way into the woods for a while to try and find a nice spot. After about 10 minutes of walking we find this really nice little clearing that is absolutely perfect. We go about setting everything up. Tony and Mike go off to gather fire wood and Matt and I set up all the tents while Bryan dug us out a fire pit. By this time it was about mid afternoon so I started to make a bunch of sandwiches for lunch while we were waiting for Tony and Mike to get back with the fire wood. It takes them quite a while, but they finally come back and we get our fire going a little before evening and start drinking and talking. All in all it was a pretty great night and we actually wound up going through a lot more of our alcohol than we thought we would the first night.

Eventually we all fell asleep with the plan to maybe grab some more liquor the next day. Matt was the first one up and had breakfast going for all of us. Nothing smells better than bacon cooking on a campfire, so I woke up just a little after him. I went off to gather more fire wood figuring that if I did it now we wouldn't have to do it again until right before dark. By the time I got back everyone, but Tony was up and talking. I kinda figured maybe he was just hung over, and since this trip was about him, letting him sleep for however long he wanted seemed perfectly fine. But when it got to be late morning and he still wasn't up Mike decided to go in and see if he wanted some water or breakfast to feel better. When Mike came back out he looked a little weirded out and just said, "Tony says we should just go home." This came as a big surprise to all of us because it seemed like he was having a really good time the night before. It seemed a little out of character to not want to come and just tell us he wanted to go home so we kinda poked our heads in to check on him. He was just sitting up in his tent with his arms wrapped around his knees and sort of rocking back and forth. I asked him if he felt sick or something and he said no. Bryan asked if he wanted to take a ride to get some food or something and once again he just said, "I think we should just go home." It really was odd behavior from him so we got to talking outside. Matt, Mike, and I wanted to stay camping anyways and so we had the idea that Bryan would go out and grab some more supplies for us, drop them off/pick Tony up, and then the two of them would head home and Bryan could just come get us in a day or so. While we were deciding this Tony came out of his tent and said he decided he'd stay that way we wouldn't need to split up. I really can't explain how odd all of this was coming from him. His whole demeanor was different from what I had always known and he was acting really skittish and timid. I just kinda chalked it up to everything he was going through and put it out of mind. Bryan asked him if he was sure a few times and all of us told him if he wanted to go home then he totally could and we'd be fine with it. We'd see him in a day or so and we could go do something else. He was adamant that if we weren't all leaving that he would stay. I felt a little bad, seeing as though he was the reason we were out there in the first place, but rationalized it to myself that he was just feeling down for the moment and once we all started talking and drinking he'd back to his old self again.

Well, we were down to just a few beers and some whiskey since we hit it so hard the night before. Tony nixed the idea of going to get more booze so we just drank slowly and figured it would just be a mostly sober day of talking and joking around. Once again, no big deal, but it was still a really odd way for Tony to be acting. Just before evening we were all sitting around the fire and talking when Tony, who had been quite most of the afternoon, piped up and asked, "Don't you guys feel weird? Like we shouldn't be here?" It took me back for a second because I thought he was talking about "here" as on this planet, but I realized he was talking about camping. Bryan said he sort of felt apprehensive or nervous or something, but that it was probably because we weren't supposed to be camping in the woods at all so that was probably it. Mike was the next person to say that he had been feeling odd about things since the night before, but just put it out of mind. Matt and I thought it was hilarious and started giving them a bit of poo poo for being scared of trespassing.

Things got quiet for while after that and I started to feel a little bad for giving them poo poo just for having a weirded out feeling. The sun was starting to set so I decided to go get some more fire wood before dark even though it wasn't my turn just to sort of make up for being a jerk. As I stood up and told everyone I'd be back with more wood in a bit Tony jumped up.

"Don't go get wood. We got enough, just don't go get it."
"The hell is wrong with you today?" I asked.
"Lets just all sit here and hang out together. I have a really really bad feeling and think we should all stick together."

I stared at him and then everyone else for a couple of seconds and sat back down. He was starting to weird me out and from the looks on everyone else's faces I think it was getting to them too. I decided that if he was goona be so weird then the last beer could be mine. I cracked it open and we all sat there in total silence as the sun started going down. Right when the sun was about on the horizon I got this really weird sinking feeling. Like an overwhelmingly odd feeling that I can't quite place and haven't felt before. Not scared, not anxious, but something sort of in the middle. Apprehension would be the closest, but it wasn't that either. Now, I never realized this, but when I was talking to Tony a few days back he said that we were all staring at the same exact spot of the forest. Like all of us, in dead silence, were all looking at the same spot as if we were anticipating something. And we were like that for minutes. That's when we heard it.

It was this incredibly loud snapping/crunching/popping noise. And when I say loud I mean it felt like it hit me in the chest with sound. From what I remember it came from deeper in the woods, but Tony says that it had to have been just a little outside the clearing. Anyway, the next thing I remember is running, full tilt, through the forest back to the car. The woods had gotten dark by then and I still vividly recall seeing the light of the fire illuminating the trees in front of us as we tore through the woods. We got to the car in just a couple of minutes and piled in as quickly as possible. When we fired it up and tore away we noticed it was a little after 9pm. There is absolutely no way it could have been later than 6pm or so since the sun was still in the sky when we heard the noise so we have no idea where any of that time went, and only Matt and I remember the frantic sprint back to the car and speeding back to Bryan's place.

Once we got to Bryans, all of us broke down. And I mean broke down. We were all crying and scared out of our minds and confused. I don't know if I've ever felt so small, and childlike, and frightened about anything ever before and certainly never after. We all sort of fell asleep on each other, huddled in the front room of his apartment, and none of us wanted to move. Tony woke up late that night and said we were all talking in our sleep and still shivering together, but he couldn't make out what any of us were saying and drifted back to sleep just a few moments later anyways. The next morning we all talked for just a couple of seconds about what had happened and decided that there was absolutely no way in hell we were gonna go back for our sleeping bags, tents, or coolers. Tony and I actually have tentative plans to head back up there and see if we can't find the old camp ground and sort of explore around and see if we can't find a fallen down tree or something around there that could have made that sound. I doubt we ever will though and even if we do its been over a decade so I'm sure everything looks a lot different than it did then and we'll never be able to find it again.

I asked Tony what had got him so worked up after the first night and he told me that he had woken up in the middle of the night and just had this incredibly overwhelming feeling that something horrible was gonna happen. And that feeling didn't go away the entire rest of the next day which is why he wanted to go home. When we suggested splitting up he knew he couldn't let us do that and decided that staying was better than stranding us with out a car for the night. Neither of us have any idea about where the time went and he doesn't remember running through the woods at all. Looking back on it I'm really glad he stayed so we had the car there. I don't know what would have happened if it had just been Matt, Mike, and myself there with no way to get home and in a blind panic.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Oct 27, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Any of the giant novellas that routinely get posted in these threads ruins them in my opinion. I wish there was a way to make thread about spooky stuff happening to people with out having authors flying out of their seats to try and post their longest self published ghost story. But more people than not love them so I just have to scroll past literal pages sometimes to read what could be, maybe, a personal story from someone who is not published.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But they had to! They were leaving childhood behind guys! It's not gross and weird at all!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nichole posted:

I enjoyed it as well, thanks for sharing.

And thank you to everyone who posts the good stories from No Sleep. I hate trying to wade through all the creative writing exercises there to find the actually good stories. Search and Rescue was pretty decent. The only thing that kept getting me was whenever the stairs were mentioned I remember that stupid old thing that goons made up to try to spot each other in the real world. Something about if you thought someone might be a goon instead of just asking them like a normal person you asked them if they had stairs in their house.

The challenge is a time honored goon tradition and you shall not speak ill of it! I've never tried it or been asked it ever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What does the second elevator being on the same floor mean? If the ghost was already on the elevator at garage level it's quicker to get to the 6th floor than from the 15th.

• Locked thread