Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

actually, that's only because you're lovely at the game, you loving idiot

they're easy for good players to parry, there's not a lot i can do about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

also i think being able to parry powerstanced ultra greatswords is stupid too

Dexters Secret fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 30, 2015

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Dexters Secret posted:

theyre extremely bad in pvp

your extremely wrong

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Dark Souls is a good game, but I really didn't like its bizarre focus on platforming, since its a game with the absolute worst controls for that kind of thing.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i am trying to play as a cleric now and summoned for the lost sinner. i died on the way there and was so embarassed i didn't summon them again, even though they were the only player summon sign

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i got summoned once and spawned w/ an invader directly behind me and instantly got backstabbed

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Dark Souls is a good game, but I really didn't like its bizarre focus on platforming, since its a game with the absolute worst controls for that kind of thing.

What focus? I mean I'm not saying I didn't just block it out but any seriously tricky platforming was all off the beaten path for extra stuff/secrets.

I only really remember a few weird drops in blighttown, the great hollow and that one jump if you wanna go back to the asylum.

e; oh and the rafters in AL too I suppose

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

The Protagonist posted:

What focus? I mean I'm not saying I didn't just block it out but any seriously tricky platforming was all off the beaten path for extra stuff/secrets.

I only really remember a few weird drops in blighttown, the great hollow and that one jump if you wanna go back to the asylum.

e; oh and the rafters in AL too I suppose

I remember like half the game as being thin ledges/small platforms over bottomless pits. They were the biggest killers by far in any of my runs. You don't have to jump often iirc but it's probably the most superfluous mechanic in the game.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Having to deal with it at all is annoying really, in an action RPG where fighting the enemies are what you're supposed to be concentrating on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I remember like half the game as being thin ledges/small platforms over bottomless pits. They were the biggest killers by far in any of my runs. You don't have to jump often iirc but it's probably the most superfluous mechanic in the game.

Half the game is a huge overstatement.

In Dark Souls, you never have to actually jump except to get optional things or for some shortcuts. (I can't say the same for Dark Souls 2, of course). And while there are areas that feature narrow ledges and death-pits (see: Anor Londo archer part, which I can do consistently now but I still think is one of the few examples of the game just being unfair), it isn't nearly as often as you're saying it is.

Dark Souls jumping is uniquely awful, though. If Bloodborne has it at all it had better be seriously improved. Like, just have jumping work like drat near any other game with jumping (push jump button = jump, jump in the direction you're currently moving) instead of this "you have to be sprinting and then press a button to leap and roll at the end of it" thing. I'd prefer no jumping at all but I doubt that'd happen.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
there's no jumping in blodborn

Dec 26, 2012

its really a question of how inputs are handled, in dark souls so much of the controller was taken up by various poo poo that you kinda do have to multi-map poo poo to add something like jumping

id rather they just do it like demon's souls and just not have a jump if they cant do it well for sure

Dec 26, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

there's no jumping in blodborn

groundborne

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
maybe if you guys had the precision of keyboard movement you wouldnt be walking into pits so much :smug:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

01011001 posted:

groundborne

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

blakyoshi posted:

maybe if you guys had the precision of keyboard movement you wouldnt be walking into pits so much :smug:

no

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

never had problems with jumping in Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls was tricky but 2 was massively better. exploring and fighting in constricted environments and being aware of their dangers is a big part of what makes the game fun and challenging, both in pve and pvp.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
zelda jumping is good

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm trying to play a no shield run in DKS2, but then i started using a shield anyway @_@

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i'm trying to play a no shield run in DKS2, but then i started using a shield anyway @_@

dafuq, shields are actually a hindrance in that game.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I remember one thing that bugged me in Dark Souls 1 was it felt like a lot of the enemy weaknesses didn't make sense. Going through the catacombs you want a holy weapon (obviously you don't need one, but it greatly simplifies things), but once you get deep enough in with pretty much no warning everything is weak to fire instead of holy. Gwyn, lord of cinder? He's weak to fire. Stuff like that. Not a big deal, but along with the rest of the game not really being what I had hoped for after Demon's Souls it was annoying.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Blocking in this game is such bs. Whoever came up with the idea that you have to move your stick into the direction of your attacker AND press attack should be shot. And you have to move the stick there from the neutral position, if you were already pointing it somewhere else it won't count, what the hell. Parrying can go right to hell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Blocking in this game is such bs. Whoever came up with the idea that you have to move your stick into the direction of your attacker AND press attack should be shot. And you have to move the stick there from the neutral position, if you were already pointing it somewhere else it won't count, what the hell. Parrying can go right to hell.

What the hell are you talking about.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is not the metal gear rising thread

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Hm, interesting, but I think you meant to post this in Cinema Discusso.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Silver Striker posted:

I remember one thing that bugged me in Dark Souls 1 was it felt like a lot of the enemy weaknesses didn't make sense. Going through the catacombs you want a holy weapon (obviously you don't need one, but it greatly simplifies things), but once you get deep enough in with pretty much no warning everything is weak to fire instead of holy. Gwyn, lord of cinder? He's weak to fire. Stuff like that. Not a big deal, but along with the rest of the game not really being what I had hoped for after Demon's Souls it was annoying.

It makes sense, considering the dude has literally gone insane from burning for thousands of years. I think he doesn't want to burn anymore.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Doctor Goat posted:

good golly gosh, no. whatever will i do if i cannot enjoy attempting to insert my face in a man's rear end as we spin around each other like retarded armored ballerinas while wielding this weapon. if only there were other things to hit with a giant sword.

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i feel like parrying just shouldn't have been in the pvp at all because it's either way too easy or impossible because of latency

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

platforming in the souls games becomes roughly a million times easier when you realize you can mash the attack button in midair so when you land you will do a plunging attack that cancels out the roll you do afterward

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
that doesn't make any sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well I think it's a cool av either way. I also liked demons souls more than dark souls

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

i feel like parrying just shouldn't have been in the pvp at all because it's either way too easy or impossible because of latency
yeah agreed, sometimes I get a cool fight with what looks like a cool + interesting dude and we both show off our cool RPG man moves and then he starts running diagonally towards an invisible man behind me to the left and I go "oh :smith:" then I die predictably

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's also really retarded how dark souls 2 made parrying and backstabbing and stuff about a million times harder even against npcs, on top of less estus charges etc. so now if you haven't mastered the fairly irritating combat system you really will love the sequel!!!

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

parrying was easier in dark souls 2

they should've started you with more estus charges though, it was pretty easy to get like 3 just starting off but it required looking up information up on the internet

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

it's also really retarded how dark souls 2 made parrying and backstabbing and stuff about a million times harder even against npcs, on top of less estus charges etc. so now if you haven't mastered the fairly irritating combat system you really will love the sequel!!!

you stink

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dexters Secret posted:

parrying was easier in dark souls 2

they should've started you with more estus charges though, it was pretty easy to get like 3 just starting off but it required looking up information up on the internet

I don't think you should look up anything on the Internet during your first playthrough, but that's just me

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I don't think you should look up anything on the Internet during your first playthrough, but that's just me

yeah

Dec 26, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

you are extremely bad at these games

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I don't really know what you mean by making backstabbing harder. Do you mean how like every enemy in Dark Souls 2 tracks your movements for their entire loving animation in a goofy way? Because that was a bad solution and I don't think I've seen even a single person defend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

ds2 is the easiest game of the three lol

• Locked thread