Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

hey this new update is pretty good

im going to reinstall starbound for the first time in half a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I've never seen any official (or unofficial) answer before, but is there a difference between the normal and OpenGL launchers? Not sure which one I should be using so I'm just using the normal one.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

stuntwaffle posted:

Greetings, I love Starbound.

Oh hey me too!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

graynull posted:

I've never seen any official (or unofficial) answer before, but is there a difference between the normal and OpenGL launchers? Not sure which one I should be using so I'm just using the normal one.
One will work with your system better depending on your graphics card. (The other uses DirectX)

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Starbound literally just crashed my computer and I lost an hour's worth of pointless mining "progress."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dang that sucks

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Never played the unstable branch, so I'm liking a lot of the new changes, especially the quests and upgrades on the computer. I guess I have to go to this desert planet to find fuel, but I'm getting wrecked even with no contact damage from monsters. I guess it doesn't help that there's a shitload of dudes with machineguns all over the surface.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Unpacked the file for energy-use rate for guns, but launching with it as its own mod causes a crash/exception for trying to load the same file twice. I assume its due to the unpacked pak file being used primarily. Its a function file.

There any way to bypass that, or do I have to pack/modpack the file into its own little poo poo file?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceF8IP-_9Fo

Sup ya'll fixed up the mod.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Just played this game with some friends for a hour and it is really bad.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Did I exhaust the content already? I got level 6 gear, and killed a robot/mech boss with missiles and a flamethrower. The reward was the heat-proof suit but there dont seem to be any more quests.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this owns

Crimson Harvest posted:

Did I exhaust the content already? I got level 6 gear, and killed a robot/mech boss with missiles and a flamethrower. The reward was the heat-proof suit but there dont seem to be any more quests.

yeah that sounds like the point where they stopped adding quest stuff and actual progression. You make the items that let you advance tiers on your crafting benches I think. You can still get to tier 10.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Latest update just added an experimental 64bit build for OpenGL.

E: In 64bit the mobs on my already generated worlds have changed and one just dropped bandages. :stare:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 30, 2015

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Babe Magnet posted:

this owns

yeah that sounds like the point where they stopped adding quest stuff and actual progression. You make the items that let you advance tiers on your crafting benches I think. You can still get to tier 10.

I'm not seeing anything like that, and I'm also not seeing any more types of planets to land on that I can't survive. The hardest ones are volcanic, magma, and dead.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Well, took them god drat long enough. I lost all hope in this game for a bit when absolutely nothing got released for almost a year now. On the otherhand, I guess I have waited longer for an update in the past (2.5 years IIRC).

This had better be good.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hot tip make animated signs in the outpost. make one that says bad game and place it in your ship

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahundredbux posted:

Hot tip make animated signs in the outpost. make one that says bad game and place it in your ship

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Mining Facility Mission PRO TIP:

After you get frustrated with this poo poo like I know you will, just walk past every motherfucker in the base. After you run past a bunch of them their AI just kind of breaks and it takes them like 10 seconds to aggro. I just ran through it in like 3 minutes while taking no damage except during the boss. :eng101:

edit: Also if you can get at least two of the switches before and after each of the bosses laser volleys you can kill it without it spawning enemies. Aside from the boss, my kill count for that last run was zero. :shepface:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 30, 2015

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Star bound is good now

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Which mod disables fog of darkness?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Dunno if any of you knew this, but yanno how you can walk along a 4 block high tunnel but if it moves up or down a block without it being 5 high you either get stuck and have to dig yourself out, get killed, or knocked back?

Hold down s and rapidly tap a or d for the direction you want to move, you'll slowly climb up or down.

Example of Tinalbot v8 halfway up a 4 block tall 45* tunnel:

E: The door is locked though. :negative:

EE: I think this could be exploitable against humanoid-height mobs that can't do ranged damage but are normally beyond your ability to kill, just climb into a 4 block high incline and shoot them while they vainly attempt to eat your rusty innards.

3E: You can use this to bypass some of the rubble piles in the moon facility without needing the dash tech enabled.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 30, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Canuckula posted:

Which mod disables fog of darkness?

/admin
/fullbright
/admin

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

/admin
/fullbright
/admin

Well I'll be hosed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Count Canuckula posted:

Well I'll be hosed.

It's pretty great.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DeepQantas posted:

Same. Is it even randomized?

Someone else found a rocketlauncher that does 329 damage per shot and can be shot twice before you run out of energy, or three times if you wait a moment between shots. It's oneshotting the creepy pink dudes and leaves the mutants at 1 bar so they die to one more hit from anything. So it must be randomish.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Someone else found a rocketlauncher that does 329 damage per shot and can be shot twice before you run out of energy, or three times if you wait a moment between shots. It's oneshotting the creepy pink dudes and leaves the mutants at 1 bar so they die to one more hit from anything. So it must be randomish.

I haven't found one of those. The room in my screenshot a few posts back is completely inaccessible but there's a crate in there that I'm willing to bet has something awesome inside. The tunnel that leads into it from the top has a point that is 3 blocks high and the hold-s-down-and-rapidly-hit-a-or-d trick doesn't work. :smith:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

It's random loot. Each time I died in the mission, I checked the containers again and many of them had new loot. None of it was particularly great, but it was different each time!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Turtlicious posted:

/admin
/fullbright
/admin

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: How the hell do you get out of the outpost? And why can't I talk to the Illegal goods merchant? The game treats it like it's not an object or vendor, or anything really.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 30, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fargin Icehole posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: How the hell do you get out of the outpost? And why can't I talk to the Illegal goods merchant? The game treats it like it's not an object or vendor, or anything really.

Gotta go back to the gate and use the tele, then warp back to ship. Its weird.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dandywalken posted:

Gotta go back to the gate and use the tele, then warp back to ship. Its weird.

That's wierd. It didn't give me a prompt to go back to the ship or anything, so i saved and quit, and i wasted 500 pixels on the quest item because it didn't show up.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Fargin Icehole posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

There's a quest(s?) you have to complete for the penguin running around the Outpost before you can access that merchant, iirc.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It doesnt prompt ya, which is the weird thing. You're just able to port to ship, like on the surface of a normal planet.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Fermented Tinal posted:

There's a quest(s?) you have to complete for the penguin running around the Outpost before you can access that merchant, iirc.

Okay, what if the penguin running around didn't offer anything?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay, what if the penguin running around didn't offer anything?

Then do more quests.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fermented Tinal posted:

Dunno if any of you knew this, but yanno how you can walk along a 4 block high tunnel but if it moves up or down a block without it being 5 high you either get stuck and have to dig yourself out, get killed, or knocked back?
It must be something with the way climbing's checked for because the exact same thing happens in Terraria. It's pretty frustrating digging out a tunnel, then going back while fleeing from an enemy and finding yourself stuck.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played this game since like the fourth alpha build, do goons hate it now or something and if so is there at least a sad/funny story behind it?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

First Bass posted:

I haven't played this game since like the fourth alpha build, do goons hate it now or something and if so is there at least a sad/funny story behind it?

It's so good that we had a 500 page thread raving about how good it was and mocking all the 4 chan neck beard re tards who said it was a bad game, when its actually really good and good.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Anyway to get the game to recognize Mouse3/Mouse4? The ingame remapper sets it to "WheelRight/WheelLeft" which don't do anything.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

First Bass posted:

It sorta stopped updating for a good 9 months. What this meant was there was nothing new to talk about, so since there wasn't any real discussion about the game anymore, the thread was largely left to people who could find other ways to entertain themselves.

Opinions are extremely mixed. If you haven't played in a while and own a copy, though, you may as well try it out, especially if someone starts a server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nevermind I hosed it up.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 30, 2015

• Locked thread