Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Throwable drone that follows you around and shines a flashlight over your shoulder at your cursor. Also have ore-scanning drones and miniturret drones.

E: Medical drones, mule/backpack drones, automining drones that can mine ores you wander past. Have them cost energy to maintain or use their functionality, so that one drone merely annoys your regen rate, but 3+ will strangle you pretty hard and/or ground you out unless you have lots of +regen.

Also battery drones to keep your weapons firing at longer single intervals at the cost of longer 'reloads'. Decoy drones that fly next to enemies and annoy them!

Drones drones drones!

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

grimcreaper posted:

HEY! i know that reference! Homeworld 1!

IT'S CATACLYSM YOU gently caress
The best game in the homeworld series

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The previous post is as true as Starbound is good.
The next post is as false as Starbound is bad.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

When does this come out, and on a similar note when is Terraria 1.3 coming out? I don't see anything on their site/boards but I'm also hecka bad at digging though sites.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Trastion posted:

Yeah that's a good idea because I can go in and go back to my home planet before steam automatically updates my game for me.

"Should we add the player's Home Planet to the list of bookmarks upon loading a legacy save? I mean, we know right where in the save this data is located and where it would have to be written to bring the save up to date so this would be like a 5-minute code job."

"Nah"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Starbound has promise as a base-building Metroidvania. The trick is to say "If I want to X, I'll have to Y", then signpost how to Y and make Y fun, then scatter X's all over the galaxy. Oxygen apparatus for vacuums, heat shielding for volcanoes, thermals for ice planets, etc etc. Don't have them all gated in a line (a->b->c), have them all individually gated so that the player can go for whichever ones they want to go for first, and if they have trouble with one they can gear up doing a different one.

The overarching story is handled the same way, more or less. Have a "lavos bucket" where you can warp right to the big bad, signpost it that This Is A Bad Idea until you gear up, but new players can see the endgame and prepare for it while Hardcore 360NOSC0PES can try for speedruns or NewGame+ wins. If you want :darksouls: combat, you could make the fight winnable if the player is absurdly skilled.

If the player tries the bucket and fails, have the monster attack the newly-space-capable ship (since you repaired it as part of the tutorial) and force the player to withdraw to the Quest Hub, which has all the "Go here, do this, get cool abilities/gate keys" quests/signs. The game is then free-roam.

Remove manual mining, or make it very fast and rewarding, since we should be focusing on metroidvainia-ing the game. Automines, satisfying destructive mining lasers, and/or purchasable/repairable mining outposts should provide raw material if you really really REALLY need to have ore collection being a thing. The first and last encourage people to recruit and manage NPCs, first just civilians mining cheap ores, then adding soldiers, doctors etc on dangerous planets, etc. The eventual goal that you attract merchants and have your own The Outpost that out-Outposts the game's quest hub.

Gate quests (just off the top of my head):
Progression
-Hot worlds
-Cold worlds
-Vacuum worlds
-Acid air worlds (include a reference to Signs, why are you invading a world that melts your skin off?)
-Radiated worlds (next to stars/supernovae)
-Ocean worlds
edit:
-High-gravity worlds
-Low-gravity worlds
-Mind controlling alien worlds (get a :itjb: helmet)
-Worlds with 'touch fuzzy get dizzy' fungal trees, need an antidote or air filter or something

These can be done in any order. Then you can mix-and-match in the Beta and Gamma systems with your cool new biomes- boiling oceans, radiated moons, frozen acid oceans, and just cool poo poo all around. You will explore dangerous poo poo and say "Yea come at me, I'm ready for this poo poo :smug:" rather than "gently caress THIS ACID AGAIN, SHIIIIT"

Crafting
-As part of a different quest, you come across an abandoned automine/mining colony. You fix up, say, a furnace as part of the quest, and you have the option to either leave immediately or fix the place up a little. You see a core drill, an arcwelding robot, the furnace, and you've seen crafting recipes that use these things, why not fix them up? Give the player the freedom to take the place over completely, scrap out the garbage, install some new things, move in some workers, you got a cool base there now!
-But this place just mines Tier 1 Things (and maybe one Tier 2 Thing kinda slow and annoyingly). Why not buy a deed to a Tier 2 World?
-Or instead go find plans for Tier 2 Mining Things?
-Or instead go find some workers/orbital surveyors who can mine Tier 2 Things well?
-You get an efficiency bonus for mining/homeworlds/outposts being close together. Better warp technologies or freighter fleets improve effectiveness and output. Go find tech and contracts!

Do all that and put them on a Tier 2 world to get a ton of material, both to armor up your ship (it was attacked in act 1!), armor up yourself, and re-invest into your homeworld/outposts and mining colonies. If you can't be assed to bother, you can get these things on progression worlds, just barely, plus an hour or two of manual digging/spelunking, though you won't have some craft-specific things that will make later progression easier. Main Progression also gives things like blueprints and hiring contacts/contracts that make your crafting setups easier/cheaper/faster/more effective.

Exploring reveals dungeons (for main/side progression and leveling) as well as mineral nodes (so you can say "aw snap I need to build a miner on this world"). If you can't find anything, you can ask around the Outpost to buy treasure maps (to dungeons) and mineral surveys.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 25, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Network Pesci posted:

Apparently Evilreaver is, in fact, a chef.

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Starbound's combat status: poo poo sucks.

So how do you make a good combat? There are two ways that I know of, as far as 2D games go.

1) Megaman, Metroid
This is the way to go if you want a :darksouls: game. Your main, starter weapon/kit is okay if lackluster, and if you're put up against the end boss he'll wipe the floor with you since his attacks come quickly, you're a weakling, and you don't have any countertools, however if you're mad skilled and you know the boss' routine and tells, can dodge them and rack up hits with your popgun to eventually kill him. It's hard (since you'll die in 5 hits and he takes 50), but possible. I've seen Dark Souls speedruns of people playing the hard-start class (Deprived? I'm not a DS'er) and finishing without using any equipment or spending any statpoints.

As the game goes along, you gather a shitload of collectables and roughly double your health and maybe bring your armor up a notch or two, and that's it. Your weapons are situational, rock/paper/scissory, and no more than five times the power of your basic gun when they're used in their prime element. You also collect a lot of movement-based skills like wallhops, slides, etc. that are useful for dodging and getting good positions on fights. Combat is primarily 1-on-1 or 1-on-3 tops.

This is probably the right way for Starbound to go, honestly. Having armor and weapons that multiply your power by whole integers per tier is waaay too much for :darksouls:ing your game. With good enough equipment the enemies are easy; while undergeared the enemies oneshot you or are just impossible anyway. Neither is fun, nor can they be meaningfully skilled around.

2) Terraria, Soldat, Bleed
These games are fast and spammy. You move around without much care, typically on a very cheap-to-use jetpack or floaty jumps that allow you a lot of Y-axis movement which allows you to pepper large swaths of enemies with lots of satisfying weapons, blowing poo poo up like a boss particularly later in the game. You don't face one enemy who you have to carefully outmaneuver, you face five and pick priority targets to burst down with your BFG, then you switch to the shotgun and mop up the kinda-bigs, then your grenade launcher to blast the little guys to bits. You don't stop to reload or let your energy recharge! You stop because you ran out of enemies! You stop because they are BEGGING FOR THEIR LIVES and you want to revel in it! You stop because you said "Woah, going 20-to-one was a bit much, let's stick to 15-to-one odds".

While these games are my personal pick, it's probably not Starbound's flavor.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Being able to travel to literally any planet is nice, but it leaves a player directionless and they have to fumble around with hundreds of thousands of options on where to go next. Is this system better than that one? :iiam: It's been repeatedly shown that having more options seems like a better idea at first, but people are almost always more dissatisfied than if they had only a few options to pick from.

Thus, we choke the player a little bit. Give the FTL drive a modest range (3/4 the initial viewscreen oughta do it) so rather than thousands, you have maybe a dozen stars to check. As part of your progression (as well as sidequest and crafting progression) give the FTL more range and fuel economy. Even though you can only warp so far in 'one go', you can always warp back to systems you've been before (have the UI show multiple 'jumps' though only charge fuel/time for one) as well as jump to systems near those you've visited (show the jumps to the familiar system, plus the destination jump). As part of the main Progression, you can build Gates that allow you to connect to any system in the sector. Free gates are limited, you can buy or craft them as well. Also, there are MOO2 style wormholes that allow you to go over vast distances, plus mid-wormhole encounters/dungeons/sidequests/fun stuff.

New characters always start on the same world per multiplayer server (So everyone can play together), though each server will have its own newbie world. Share everyone's jump paths, so late joiners can immediately fly to join their bros.

Civilized NPC 'constellations' could have 8-20 star systems pre-jumped, so you can quickly traverse a faction's network, adding range and options as well as giving nonlinear player-driven goals ("If I hit those Apex systems, maybe I can get some quests, merchants, and at least it will open up a dozen new stars I can reach"). Seeing these constellations will attract players, and thus they can be made into large-scale, perhaps multi-planet side-dungeons ("These miners have been hit by raiders! Oh, the mining boss went home to the residential planet? Maybe he has a key on him for this door"). It shouldn't be too hard to make randomized dungeons-systems alongside hand-crafted Progression or Sidequest dungeon-systems.

Last but not least, warping time should be dependent on range. Planet->Moon? One second in warp, most of the travel time is spooling. System jump? 1 minute, as current. Multi-jump? 1 minute base, +15 seconds per jump. As part of Progression, Sidequesting and Crafting, warping gets faster, with color variations to the warp (Customizable???). Form a 'fleet' with multiplayer ships so everyone warps as fast as the fastest guy. Slow down larger ships as players tier up so they have some incentive to speed them up and feel accomplished when they do so, as well as giving Gates an additional purpose. As an end-tier ready-for-the-final-battle tech, allow arbitrary warp distance at the 1-minute time even with the largest ship. Or, if a player doesn't want to deal with a huge late-tier ship, they get blazing fast warps. This tech is available in NewGame+.

Ships travel with you through It's Just A Game You Should Really Just Relax so you can swap at most any shipyard-- civilized NPC, captured raider, or self-constructed. If you hate wait times but love large ships, have a low-tier speedy ship to get to a distant shipyard then swap in your big ship to get to your destination. The shipyard also allows the player to capture ships not belonging to their faction/race, though this is done through convoluted Side Quests (think Final Fantasy bonus dungeons-- hard, dedicated missions). You can also construct ships as part of Crafting progression.

E: Shipyards (and Stations, for that matter) can be quickly selected as warp targets to quickly and cheaply refuel. Manually digging up fuel is tedious poo poo that should be saved for either cheapass grindy players or if you carelessly strand yourself mid-travel. Maybe you find a dungeon on that planet while you're digging up fuel, or if you hit an inhabited planet there could be optional quests to take as a diversion.

E2: Harmless customization slots on your ship engine. Start with 3, give maybe 2 more in the Main questline, but a dozen in sidequests and another dozen in the crafting system. Faster spooling, faster warp, lower fuel, colors and effects, cheaper multijumps, stealth engines to avoid random space encounters (given at character introduction so it can be easily toggled player-by-player).

Now this is key: When you're in a multiplayer game, you can see your fleetmates in the background warping next to you, and comment on how their warpdrive sucks and yours is the best.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 26, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Michaellaneous posted:

Evilreaver has a lot of good ideas, but a lot of them include quite a lot of change. Sorting them into groups ranging from easy to hard to implement would be a good idea.

List of ideas that Chucklefish will implement, alphabetically:
  • Their own

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mutata posted:

That's what I like about some of Minecraft's crazy mods. They had quarries and crazy automation and stuff that you had to work up to and once you got some automation in place you shifted over to crafting some of the machines that required a ton of resources because suddenly you could pull entire chunks up. It felt like a nice progression.

That's exactly it for me, and why Factorio is one of my favorite games. You mine ten metal by hand, then have garbage miners mine a thousand, then have real miners feed trains so metals come in tens of thousands at a time. I love having large-scale multistep productions to build, manage and tweak endlessly (I wish Space Engineers had some multistep construction :cheeky:)

Manual mining is a chore, automatic mining is great. Minecraft had you exploring caves you could get lost in, so you were always doing something, either marking trails or sealing up explored areas or wondering how you're going to get back to the surface now that you're totally lost you jerk. In 2D, you get unlost by digging up then running along the surface. Minecraft caves were sprawling enough that you may very well lose sight of your home from the surface.

But Terraria has good mining. Why? Primarily because you can find other things down there. Heart cans, the first hook, and gold chests are all Cool Things To Have and finding one of any of them is a :buddy: moment. Starbound doesn't even have monster drops.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
25% of proceeds? That's where the real money is

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's no good reason to have 14 weapons merchants, since there are only three interactions with ANY permanent-goods NPC

1) Anything good? If not, EXIT
2) Can I afford it? If so, buy and go to 1, else come back with money
2a) Does this fit an alternate playstyle I'd like to try? Go to 2
3) Sell garbage loot to vendor

Once you're done with step 1 and 2, you don't need lots of NPCs for 3, just one in an easy spot.

Consumable merchants (medkits, cosmetics, funstuff) you might like to have hang around, and virtually all of Terraria's merchants sell consumables for that reason.

Starbound NPCs would be better served as 'service' npcs (automating boring things like healing, mining, or perhaps constructing, maybe even diplomacy/contract seeking if you're starting an empire).

A good sandbox should have everything as involved as YOU the player want it to be. If you want minerals, it should be automated, or you can do it yourself if you find it fun and have time. Same with defending a base, building a base, building any megaproject, maybe even assault missions (go on them yourself or hire a band of mercs. Maybe even just play medic for them!) Sure, you can do things Better if you're taking charge (defending against raiders/natives might cost you security personnel, so either do it yourself, or shrug hire a new guy and That's Business v:v:v Manual mining is fast, but auto works while you're doing other things like building, travelling, or fighting, so even though its slower it ends up being more productive.)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I HAVE A DREAM

The tutorial planet teaches the basics- how to move, fight, mine, and recruit NPCs. Maybe there's a wounded guy-- why not a buddy who was in your escape pod, but didn't fare so well in the crash? He needs shelter ("NPCs need beds, doors, walls and lights!"), medicine herbs (which, along with food crops, are the base of Farming progression), protection from alien wolves, oh great now he's better and needs a gun so the two of you can hike up a mountain so your distress signal reaches space?

Alright, so a ship comes down and teleports you up, and kidnaps you and the captain is an rear end in a top hat. You break out and fight (you need control of the engine and bridge, do you dispatch your friend to one while you go to the other, or go together? Introducing the NPC Dispatch System tutorial!) So you blow up the ship, the captain gets to a shuttle, you beam aboard. And when you confront the pirate captain, you are given a choice, kill the captain or arrest him to give to the local Spacecops? Either way, now you have a Tier 1 ship. And the sandbox begins.

Your buddy doesn't have anything better to do, so he'll hang around until you dismiss him or something. He'll stay on the ship acting as a guide "Why not go [progress the story], [player]?" And you can ask him to come along on your self-guided missions. You're in a space-civ consellation, why not find an inhabited planet to get missions or a vacant world to claim?

Oh, some distress signals. Go or ignore? Story-important ones are clearly marked as important (and don't time out), others you can hunt down or ignore at your leisure. One teaches you about wormholes, another about Why The Big Bad Is A Jerk, another is a mining outpost and when you get there it's overrun with native wildlife. The boss of that last one is tired of dealing with the aliens you just made extinct, so he sells you the deed for cheap. Boom, Outpost Upgrade And Management tutorial.

Eventually your mining outpost either decays (if you don't man it) or is attacked (if you do), which then triggers a How To Defend Your poo poo tutorial.

You are taught how to make a Farming Outpost. They don't work well if there's industry on the same world, so there's a reason to colonize multiple worlds (or spend some resources on clean industry). This provides food and/or medicine you can use to feed NPCs you have under your 'rule' or you can trade to neutral/friendly civs. Medicine is worth more so it attracts more raiders. Different foods grow in different climates so you are encouraged to settle multiple worlds again. (Or build biodomes)

You are taught how to make Research Outposts. They're valuable and attract raiders, but you can hide them well underground so as long as there isn't something obvious (say, a mine or farm) on the surface to give them away, they're pretty safe. You can research all sorts of fun toys, techs, ships, weapons, armor, engines, mining and farming equipment, or just farm out your equipment to a civ for cash and favors. Larger labs and their reactors generate more heat and are thus harder to hide so you either need better defenses or, again, multiple planets.

So you're left to Skyrim the galaxy for a bit. If you focus on the main story, you can head off the Big Bad's plans and do good in the world, and it gives you juuuuust enough levels/gear/resources as quest rewards in order to get by. If you don't care, you get wealthy and/or powerful, but the BB starts conquering poo poo, and launches high-threat attacks both on NPC constellations as well as your own holdings. Powerful NPC Civs can resist for a while and start giving you "evac this planet", "hold the line", "attack this enemy base to take heat off us" missions, and food/medical supplies go way up in price so you can get :10bux: by fighting or merchanting. If you interact closely with a civ, they do very well in resisting the BB and can hold forever as you and they level up.

As the game progresses, the Big Bad gets mad at you (either for directly opposing him or for indirectly supporting your allies) and Death Star's a planet you like and/or Ups The Stakes in some way. Maybe two or three times depending on how long you want the game to be. Responding appropriately in a timely way means there's no lasting harm, as long as the player knows (1) "I lost those assets because I hosed up", or (2) "I would have CERTAINLY lost those assets if I hadn't acted".

Its worth noting that while direct attacks will become commonplace as you gain power/influence, they are never so annoying that you can't sandbox around them. If you play passively or stealthily, you are free to build whatever without making enemies or fearing the story might progress without you. At tier 1 as a complete unknown, you could build a large pretty castle and decorate your ship for days and days without anything bad happening, and without (much) material restrictions.

At some point you say "alright I'm a walking juggernaut of doom and conquest, time to gently caress up the Big Bad" or, "I can hire these black-ops supersoldiers and provide them high-tech support, particularly by launching interplanetary smartbombs or drones to ensure their success" or even "I have recreated Mass Effect by supporting these several civilizations so now we're going to band together in an unstoppable fleet"

Any one of those plans will work okay.

Or if you're a completionist sperg, you beam down on the planet in your Gigapower Armor Mk VIII and frankly illegal/immorally powerful weapons, backed up by mercs that you've granted similar equipment, while your support team nukes poo poo from orbit (with orbital weapons you've researched, designed, built and deployed) WHILE friendly civ's fleets cut off reinforcements and keep you and your orbital weapons safe. The Big Bad just :psyduck:s at you and you flatten him. The main game is won, congrats!

Then the optional Superboss From Beyond shows up, and is a murderous, nightmare-inducing multi-stage fight even with maxed-out everything (so there's a good reason for megaspergs to megasperg, and there's a true sense of accomplishment for smashing him). The Superboss doesn't move aggressively like the Big Bad does so you're much more free to sandbox.

Now THAT'S a game, and starbound is capable of supporting probably 80% of that right now.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

oddium posted:

i'm just a good person

source you're quotes

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Games › Starbound: this game is actually probably good though

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OrangeSoda posted:

Nobody liked the backwards walk. Not one person. Anyone who says they did is either lying or is Tiy in disguise.

What the gently caress? Please tell me you're making this up. How the hell do you get EGGS let alone vegetables from other player races!? I want to ask more questions but i'm afraid.

I'm not looking up the gif/youtube, but there was indeed a mod where you can put a birdperson or plantperson in a stockade, hook a hose up to their mouth, and "harvest" eggs/veggies from them.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Starbound: "Thick and Fast" "Updates" for "five years", now "1.0"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vib Rib posted:

Starbound: I dunno, it's not terrible? Well, not great. Better than it was. It's okay I guess.

Starbound: Better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. Not colored dirt, can't compete with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fewd posted:

well that's not really a good comparison since terraria is good

unless you mean alternate universe in an event horizon kind of way where terraria cuts its eyes out, mutilates the hell outta itself, kills everyone and goes through a wormhole to the dimension of bad to reign as starbound, the lord of unstackable food

Starbound: Where we're going, we don't need fun content to play

• Locked thread