Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've been keeping an eye on this, it sounds like the worst issues are still janky combat/armor balance and (moddable) annoyances with mining/delving, anything else major?

Is there still a good chance they're going to cause a full character/planet/base/universe wipe with future patches? None of my friends who played this last year want to touch it again for that reason right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Directional light tech.

You have a loving spaceship.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No, those things sound like what a reasonable sci fi game would have. I recommend they continue making you use stone age technology while you beam back and forth to your spaceship.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

My one complaint is the whole game

I'm not sure I could empty quote this without thread making GBS threads on a mostly normal game thread now.

But it's roughly how I feel after messing with it for a bit again.

I wish I could illustrate the contrast between my initial reaction to Starbound when it was teased however many years ago and my opinion of the game now. Some sort of ms paint fall from grace.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

So what you're saying is that the unfettered wonders your brain imagined from the vague promise of an infinite universe you can go romping and fighting and building your way through was better than the harsh reality of an unfinished game by a development team that could charitably be described as "bumbling"?

I kinda imagined Terraria but in space

... the gap between that and this really isn't much different than what you wrote though

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah but okay THIS TIME we think we're really onto something what if we had defense work as a percentage of damage reduced and

It's fun paying for watching some people learn how to design games in real time! Kind of a metagame really!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ubachung posted:

Yeah I'm definitely the baby in this conversation, not the guy complaining about the mining game including mining. Thank god you're here to put me in my place.

:thumbsup:

http://playstarbound.com/about/

ctrl-f mining

not found?????

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

hello starbound thread, terraria 1.3 is really fun and I hope the Starbound devs look at it and think about integrating some of the quality-of-life stuff. "Auto-Sort All to Chests" is loving incredible.

"As developers, we’ve been inspired by all the games we grew up playing. From isometric 80s classics to Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid. Celebrated platformers like Mario and Sonic, RPGs such as Elder Scrolls and Ultima, and iconic handheld games such as Pokemon. Starbound draws on numerous classic influences, while taking a thoroughly modern approach to crafting, narrative and world-building. It’s an amalgamation of the games we loved as kids, and the games we love now, fully focused on providing the player with an engrossing, fun experience."

Starbound devs don't know what Terraria is!

Perhaps you should provide them with a link to this strange other game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I can think of a lot of worse things than "has a million dollars, just programs games all day."

Has a million dollars, programs Starbound all day?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Asimo posted:

It's kind of amazing to consider that Starbound was better while it was abandoned.

I just realized that each Starbound patch improves Cubeworld a little bit.

At this rate an abandoned early access game will surpass Starbound by virtue of not becoming worse over time!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

Yes!! I love farming. It may seem like tedium to care for your crops -- but this is legit almost everything I've wanted from farming. Some different soil types or liquids for "Watering" that affect growth and/or yield would be the next best implementation.

quote:

Basically I am suprised about people complaining about watering because of this.
You can easily plant a farm on a planet which rains constantly and never have to worry about watering.

quote:

I just thought about that there was talk about multiple different ways of progressing in the game:
adventure, explore, quests?
explore, loot, housing
farming, crops, making dinner

if these three were to have kind of the same weight on the game, then auto-irrigation systems would ruin the game and render it too easy.

quote:

Why are you assuming that the glimpse they've given us is the sum total of how the system will work forever and ever? That mentality has never held true throughout this game's development. Pretty much every "simple" system has eventually gotten more advanced options devoted to it. The Lantern Stick isn't the be-all-end-all of personal illumination. The pick isn't the be-all-end-all of digging. Why do you think the watering can will be the be-all-end-all of farming hydration?

Everything in this game started with a simplified version and then expanded. That's how development works.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RottenK posted:

a giant raging autist ran in and started screaming about casuals

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I still wish that you could turn any block into pixels, and make any block from pixels. At the start I thought that's what the system was gonna be, I thought that mining and gathering materials would be way more streamlined and convenient. :smith:

That's what I thought it was also, and it seemed cool, a way to reward mining anything anywhere

How long would this thread be if all suggestions were deleted and people were banned from suggesting improvements to starbound?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

I can't believe this thread has reached the point of going back 2 goddamn years to name and shame people for being hopeful for an unreleased/recently released game as some sort of complicated, unfunny 'gotcha!'

Y... you might want to read closer

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

if he wasn't an eccentric nerd with no regards to his own wellbeing dwarf fortress would be starbound makes u think

So he'd be rich and not particularly beholden to his customers to accomplish anything?

I guess the second part is true at least.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Why haven't you unfucked farming, Supernorn? Even the poo poo-sucking yes-man rear end-patters on your forum think it's a bad idea.

It's gameplay!!!!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is my favorite comedy thread on SA

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rrussom posted:

I prefer to think as each new update its own, free, expansion.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I always wondered what would happen if a bunch of non game dev kids with Ideas got a few million dollars to make a game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Hmm, it's actually hard to get incensed about dumb poo poo like that when it's optional.

Seems like a good use of dev time!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You know when you're working on a <project> and you have a bunch of random stupid ideas while you're showering/driving/eating dinner/not actually implementing them?

Starbound is all of those random stupid ideas, except you're independently wealthy and in charge of a team of people who are beholden to your every awful whim, so you can actually get them put into a game. And then taken out when you get a new one. And then put back in.

victrix fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 23, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hitscan 'projectiles' are basically trash in single player fps games, and anything approaching them in a 2d game is pure lol.

Slow moving projectiles (including ones that can be shot!), are good. As are slow moving bombs that explode into area damage, or more projectiles. Slow shotgun patterns. And so on and so forth.

Or I guess you could do rapid firing quick moving projectiles and touch damage. That sounds fun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doesn't that kind of sum up everything though?

Focuses on art, ignores gameplay

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If it made him millions I'm p sure he didn't gently caress up anything, it's working great!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I kinda like the sassy walk cycle at least. The roboheels really take it to the next level.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eonwe posted:

has tiy ever had a good starbound idea? i submit to you that he has not

uhhh he thought of starbound and people gave him money for it

genius

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lucid Dream posted:

I guess I'll give it a shot when it is out of Early Access.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

EA/KS are fine, people are bad with money. Once they get burned enough they'll stop touching the fire. Or won't, I don't really care. My investments have produced a bunch of cool games for me, at criminally low prices. I'll accept occasionally funding a Starbound or overpaying for Banner Saga if it means I keep getting stuff like PoE, Grim Dawn, Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun, etc. I'm not sure Dungeonmans would exist without KS and it has one of my highest (by hours) counts of any roguelike in the last five years or so. And you don't need to invest in anything you don't trust, see if it comes out of the fire and profit off of my stupidity and/or gullibility.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Good Dumplings posted:

In a weird way I've grown to love it every time someone says "it's an investment". You're putting money in and not getting money out, why do people keep telling themselves otherwise?

Not that kind, the kind where you're investing in a venture that may or may not bear any fruit at all (or entirely rotten fruit)

fe: the principle is the same though, you're a dumbass if you invest in anything without doing some basic due diligence. Doesn't stop you from getting burned 100%, but it cuts out the obvious cons.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hi res pictures of Geodes please

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I like the one with a pink butt head :3:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Starbound was valuable because it reminded me to pay more than 0 attention when backing kickstarter and/or EA projects.

I'll take one fail for a bunch of hits.

When's Cubeworld coming out :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah but I don't believe that guy

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nah, that's basically 'a publisher'. Crowd funding works, crowd management does not. Barring some incredibly byzantine representative republic of kickstarter.

It's on people to decide who and how much they should provide patronage to, and we're talking about the price of a lunch or a dinner to possibly get a very cool game for cheap in most cases, so it's not like you're assuming a lot of risk for a comparatively significant payout.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Recommend renaming the thread to Planet Centauri so we can go through the whole cycle again without anyone needing to write anything

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well? Why did you buy this?

did not buy Starbound
I bought the concept, oh dear
can't play a concept

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Real Answer: I like the noise they make during summer and think they look cool.

Me too

(the noise, not the grody looking bugs you weirdo)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OrangeSoda posted:

But after reading those posts by Rho and finding out all the awful stuff going on beneath the surface, I almost feel dirty buying the game long ago :stare: truly a horror story of game development.

Game development is horror :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

were???

• Locked thread