Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Mining Facility Mission PRO TIP:

After you get frustrated with this poo poo like I know you will, just walk past every motherfucker in the base. After you run past a bunch of them their AI just kind of breaks and it takes them like 10 seconds to aggro. I just ran through it in like 3 minutes while taking no damage except during the boss. :eng101:

edit: Also if you can get at least two of the switches before and after each of the bosses laser volleys you can kill it without it spawning enemies. Aside from the boss, my kill count for that last run was zero. :shepface:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Jusupov posted:

What kind of planets have more titanium and platinum? The gentle ones have so little it's sad :(

Go to one with moderate difficulty. I found a good amount on an ocean world, and a load of it on an arid one.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

So the Dreadwing fight is super annoying and unfun. Any suggestions for how to get past this thing?
I could see the fight being interesting if he had 1/3 or even half the health, but this is just a slog.

Walk a little bit to the right and kill all the penguins surrounding a small pool of water with the land sloping up on the right side. Agro dreadwing. Go back to the pool and crouch in it with your strongest titanium melee weapon equipped. When he dives down, hit him with it. A lot if his attacks will miss. After he takes some damage he'll start slamming down right on top of you giving you the opportunity to hit him a lot of times. Shouldn't take too long. :)

Also the thing with mining lenses, batteries etc. sounds really, really tedious, I hope that Tiy doesn't occasionally pop into this thread anymore. :saddowns:

edit: phone spellcheck ugh

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 1, 2015

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I feel like pick axes are unnecessary at this point. The M.M. is actually very good now. What they need to do is make explosions not destroy ore. This would also make Cole not useless because obviously gunpowder would be used to craft bombs. Drills can stay tho, there pretty cool IMO.

It doesn't even need to be fully upgraded, I've gotten as far as the second mining power upgrade that you need Durasteel for and it just flys through rock. I can't wait to get the last one.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Slime posted:

One major problem is that until the rubium/aegisalt/volium tier, there's no meaningful choices of equipment. You just pick the next upgrade and move on, while later on the different things you can choose have different stats. That kind of thing should probably happen earlier.

I didn't know that it branches at all. The next thing on my list is to build the replicator.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

Anyone have seeds for the book pedastal and avian moon emblem for the quests after the second ship upgrade? I've found like 5 avian towers but no tombs, and I'm assuming the book comes from a glitch castle?

I found one earlier, but I couldn't tell you where it is anymore. :( Try searching on a desert planet, Avian structures seem to spawn most often there.

I finished the Floran Party mission earlier, and I actually thought it was pretty good! That's one for three, but I was surprised to find even one that I liked.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Anyone have the location for a USCM Penal Colony with the stone sign out front you need for the Jail House Rock quest? I found one on a volcanic planet earlier, but for whatever reason I couldn't mess with any of the objects or terrain in or near the colony :shepface:

That's the last one that I need for the next ship upgrade. I really just want to finish upgrading my ship all the way so that I can reorganize everything in there one last time and stop worrying about what goes in which crate.

fyi: For the Mech boss just use full Violium with a heavy hitting Violium weapon and just go at him like a mad dog when he's shooting missiles. When he's using the flamethrower or the Touhou bullet spam thingy just try to play keep-away while eating every healing item you have access to. Took me two tries, but it was a close thing.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 2, 2015

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

Look for a huge console in the colony, and use it to turn off block protection.

poo poo, well at least I haven't left the system yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
A mining laser mounted on the bottom of your ship that burns Solarium/Uranium/Plutonium or a shitload of Erichus fuel would be bangin. Just set it going and go explore the surface. By the time you make a full round-trip, a box next to it's control panel would have a good amount of whatever the chief ores on that planet are.

edit: Bonus points if it slurps up Erichus from moons at a faster rate than it burns it.

edit: Also, while it's active you can actually see a laser making it's way across the planet at like 1/2 walking speed that kills you and anything else it touches :madmax:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 2, 2015

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The next (last?) upgrade I need to get for the MM is the 4x4 one, and I went ahead and decided to try out a diamond drill last night just to see how much faster it is. Hadn't used a drill of any kind before.

Turns out it's a lot slower. Man, by the time drills become available there's no good reason to use them. If you keep up with your MM upgrades it's just flat out better and doesn't waste inventory space.

Drills suck, laser supremacy

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Speedball posted:

huh, characters have a shared starting planet now?

Yup, and I'm glad. I spent like 5 hours on my human and got him up to Titanium before deciding to switch, leaving a whole bunch of stuff to get started with at the starter shack. I got my Floran up to and past where my human was in less than an hour.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Pakled posted:

Dipping my toes in modding. I was talking with Vib Rib earlier and we agreed the pacing of the first two ship expansions was a bit weird since they require the same tier of ore for the SAIL upgrades. Plus, personally, between storage and crafting stations I found myself rather cramped for space on the ship early on. So to pace it out a bit more, and give access to the expanded ship earlier, I made a little mod that makes it so the first expansion requires 10 gold bars and 10 steel bars instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d1vlg1czt4hazg/UpgradeShipEarlier.modpak?dl=0

The pacing for the last two upgrades is pretty weird too, not that I'm complaining. You can get the last one immediately after the 4th (there are no quests before the last becomes available), and the materials you need to upgrade are actually a little easier to get then they are for the 4th. It would make a lot more sense to use Solarium for the 4th upgrade, and compounds for the last.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 3, 2015

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Thief posted:

Hope they never change this because it's really the only use I've gotten out of boats. Beaming down to planets that are just like a tiny island on lava are actually explorable thanks to this.

oh btw, Floran ships are the best:

Haha, your pool and your 'no escape' sign are on in the same spot as they are in mine. :shepface:

Yours is definitely better though. How do you zoom out that far anyway?

edit: OH you edited the images together :doh:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 4, 2015

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Thief posted:

:420::respek::420:

Find a planet that has healing waters and you can put them in your ship for free heals!

I actually just overlapped 2 screenshots that I took while playing fullscreen. I think the view is locked to your resolution or something, but you can hold ctrl and mouse around to pan the camera iirc.

Oh okay, cool. Didn't think of healing water, I bottled all of mine. I did think of using liquid erichus though.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

How do I explore planets with no breathable atmosphere but dangerously high temperature? Is it possible to activate two suit techs at the same time to be protected from both?

All of the nanoskins have air supply built in, just use the heat skin.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

If I install a mos, do I have to create a whole new universe to use it? I'd like to use that My Starbound Crew mod but o don't want to have to hunt all around to just see of it's working.

I gave this mod a try, and it seems pretty good. You get easy access to a lot of stuff that's usually a pain in the rear end to get, and as many quests as you can stomach. Also it gives core fragments a use! :aaa:

Also those floating backslot robots? KEI I think it is? They're all sprite versions of mags from PSO, given different names. :shepface:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

They could be floating animes for all I care, mine gives me a constant glow and increased walk speed. This rules.

Hey, I ain't complaining. I loved PSO back in the day, I just thought it was really cool. Also yeah the exploration track mags KEIs own

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

What are the back slot robots (mags) that were being talked about? Are those something in the base game I just haven't seen or are they a mod?

It's this mod:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/your-starbound-crew.948/

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Having to organize poo poo has got to be one of the most frustrating things in the game, having to move your cargo hold after getting a ship upgrade is a pain in the rear end. There are just so many different types of blocks to manage. I think I might add that mod tomorrow.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

I'm sort of surprised that there aren't some storage size upgrades for your MM or ship box

Thank's I'll take a look at this, might just use it for the mags alone, unless it just really clutters up the game. And I'm assuming since vibrib was talking about them it meshes alright with the prismatic stars right?

I don't know if it works with prismatic stars or not, it adds it's own new star types. I haven't really looked at them yet though

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

It's absolutely worth it. I'd also like to triple-recommend the hyper storage mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/item-broadcaster-hyper-storage.1745/
Craft and place one sender and one receiver and your whole storage room can now be automated. You still have to set up the storage boxes in the first place (which that enhanced storage mod is great to help with), but once that's done, you're set.
There is nothing as rewarding as just being able to warp home with a full inventory, dump everything into one chest, and have the system automatically put every object away where you want it to be. Saves so much time.

Oh holy poo poo, this is my jam. I had no idea there was a mod that does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

MrPants posted:

I tried playing this again after the update. I kind of had fun mining around my starting planet, making some armor, making a big farm, and then going to a different planet to mine some more for different stuff. Then the tutorial got to the point with the guy who wants coffee and it was a constant steam of running back and forth crafting one little item, more running around and 0 reward. That was pretty much bullshit but I was still willing to give it a chance. Then I did the Erchius base. That seemed unnecessarily difficult for a tutorial mission. I had to play it like 10 times to beat it. I play a lot of roguelikes so I have a fairly high tolerance for getting killed and trying again and that stupid mission was on the verge of making me quit trying to enjoy this poo poo.

Once I finally completed the mission, I got the crystals. I beamed back to my ship, it played the mission completion tune and started talking about the FTL drive being repaired. It then promptly crashed. Now the FTL drive isn't actually fixed, the quest is completed and I can't add fuel to the ship. I am stuck in the tutorial forever it seems with no work around. Oh I guess there were some suggestions to start a new character and try again.

So, in conclusion, gently caress this stupid loving game.

I had the same problem, except my inventory was full when I was supposed to pick up the crystals. So I didn't get them. :saddowns:

Turns out after you complete the mission, the crystals become available to purchase at the infinity mart in the outpost. I had to look this up though, they don't just come out and say it.

edit: Don't try to redo the mission for them, I tried that before looking up how to get the crystals. You only get them the first time

• Locked thread