Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Ernie Muppari posted:

On the up side: Asteroid Base!

On the down side: Why build a base?

Base has the benefit of not being restricted in size and anyone being able to visit in constrast to your spaceship i guess. It would be cool if you could put your respawn/planet warping on your home planet and make the ship optional, then it just becomes a choice of whether you want your sweet base to be on a planet or in a giant spaceship, then using the other for storage.

I look forward to trying this game in the future when some minecraft technic-style modpack comes out that basically makes all the poo poo parts not poo poo, or at least less poo poo..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Man, having that patch list posted out in full just blows my mind with how much it adds.

Babe Magnet posted:

This is how they used to be. I haven't played with the new ones so I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU

haha, straight up umihara kawase's grappling hook, right down to the red and white patttern. Why would you want to replace those?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

remember when someone pointed out that it made no sense to do generic mining poo poo and all that in a game about space travel and everyone tried their best to tell him why he was wrong. also i brought up that it taking 30 minutes to cut a vine with the matter manipulator thing was stupid and people tried to defend it. then it was changed later. hmm
I was amazed how many people wanted a futuristic space game so that they could go mine with caveman stone pickaxes

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

bullshit, now their changes take it further away from the most crucial part of SOTN combat

You moved faster backwards

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Florans get: removed from the game

We feel that the game's fun needs to be better balanced,so for now, we have removed all fun from the game and will put it back in a future update.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

LordZoric posted:

This is where I would post that gif of the devs completely failing at the stupid Apex platforming.

I hate that thinking because its so loving robotic and wrong. In mario and pacman for example you were also collecting powerups,getting points and high scores, and trying to find multiple paths. Games are largly about multiple things and not just beep boop go to destination ,avoid hurty thing.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

was phone posting before so re-reading tiy's explination goddamn its just so loving robotic

quote:

Our procedural monsters from previous patches had a large variety of projectile attacks, with no damage on touch. However, the only way to ensure most of those projectiles were threatening was to have them aim directly at and travel directly to the player. Otherwise the vast majority of them would end up hitting the terrain.
Despite somewhat different speeds, animations, damage and so on. The gameplay here was very limited. When projectiles move almost directly to you every projectile can be avoided by waiting for a windup animation to play and moving directly out of the line of fire.
He realizes that just aiming the projectile at the player makes them easy to dodge , but cant seem to connect the dots as to why you wouldn't have every projectile just aim directly at the player. or to put it simply(edit: 4:57, apparently youtube timestamp links dont work very well.)

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

LordZoric posted:

I thought rails have been a thing since shortly after launch. I guess it was just some guy's mod. It was really easy to get cool mods confused with upcoming features back then.

You could tell that starbound devs never made railway paths because starbound development is incapable of being on track.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i really think that randomized monsters kind of hosed up the game a fair amount, because i never hear many people say they enjoy them and they're really not interesting in the slightest.
a few cherry picked ones that showed up in previews for random gen monsterrs got some notice, but none of them got nearly as much as the designed poo monsters or that little pokemon like thing, poptop

I've actually seen fanart of this one.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

All the changes to starbound's difficulty remind me of someone dumping "hardcore" and "realistic" mods into fallout 3 where it just shoves a bunch of "if you dont do X every few minutes you'll die". I don't mean that as an insult to the programming quality, just as if someone said "this game is incredibly easy since i know how to exploit its mechanics, how can i make it still challenging?"

Rhopunzel posted:

the prevailing opinion was that we couldn't trust players to turn everything on easy so they could complete the game, because everyone loves to play easy games.

I don't know how this view even exists these days when minecraft got successful from a complete difficulty-less creative mode, especially in a game with so much furniture and emphasis on similar style systems decorating your spaceships and home planet.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

graynull posted:

It's too bad there is no tally for hours spent in this thread, as I am sure most of us would have more time here than in-game.

My steam page says 27 hours and i think half of that was leaving the launcher running overnight and completely forgetting about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

nice

ok so, food will rot, it does NOT stack, combat still has damage-on-touch (requiring you to rush into your enemy with your weapon while also not doing that), you drop all your poo poo on dying, and it has potion sickness on top of that.

starbound: game bad so what
So much for improvements

Starbound: one step forward, two half-speed steps back.

• Locked thread