Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I kinda like that the Novakid ship doesn't incorporate any verticality. I use my ship as a kind of roving crafting station, miniature farm, and storage facility so I can build a sweet house on my homeworld and put all my cool furniture there. My poo poo computer has a little trouble running Starbound smoothly as is, so keeping my ship relatively utilitarian limits the lag when I'm tinkering in it. Also, it's a space train.

I really like the ocean planets. My homeworld is on an ocean planet with pink sand and pretty palm trees; I planted some rainbow trees for variety and built a charming little summer home on the beach, complete with a dock, modest underground farm mainly for pussplums and oculemons (gotta make that Cyanider so I can live solely off booze like a proper star cowboy), and a mildly eerie underwater cavern in which I grow the various oceanic crops so I can always have a good supply of ocean salsa and tropical fruit juices for visitors. I even have a little coffee garden next to the dock, right outside the back door, a few steps from the coffee machine :allears:

I'm really enjoying the update so far. The new biomes and recipes are great, and of course, the fact that the first Novakid the character creation screen randomly generated for me was bright blue and named Butane Murphy is a definite plus. I haven't liked a generated name that much since Pelvistello. The boss missions are pretty neat, although the mining colony one is loving bullshit if your game lags even a little bit, and the tons of new recipes and blueprints are fun to collect. I actually kind of like the quest system, though I lucked out on the coffee one because I happened to have some coffee beans I picked on a forest planet. The quest with the silent guy who gives you the sign came completely out of left field and made me laugh pretty hard.

edit: the fact that you can only make a hoe at an iron anvil is ridiculous, though. I destroyed my iron anvil after making the upgraded version, and later on, once I was making durasteel, I couldn't figure out how the hell to make a hoe. Having to go back to a lower-level planet just to make an anvil so I can make a hoe... ugh.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I have a pair of plasma machine pistols that were godlike when I found them, but now, one tier later, they're mediocre. Meanwhile, the rocket launcher I found in the same tier still obliterates everything in two shots.

Moral: blow everything up. Just blow up the god drat world.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Rapid-fire guns are kinda good for killing annoying flying enemies sometimes.

Some of the slower-firing guns are actually decent. The Novakid craftable revolvers are pretty good in their own tiers. You still need to swap to melee occasionally, but you can significantly soften up anything you can't kill outright with a few shots from each gun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I wonder how practical it would be to give all guns a stacking, amplifying debuff that applied elevating armour reductions at certain stack breakpoints. Slow guns would still smash through armour via brute force, but extremely fast guns would go from piddling to "huh, this is actually starting to worry me" to :stare: after a relatively short period of sustained fire, making finding cover or ending the fight quickly very important to avoid those thousand papercuts paving the way for a thousand sucking chest wounds. If the debuff deteriorated relatively briskly, you could duck behind cover to catch your breath and be none the worse for wear unless your bullet-spraying antagonist decided to press the advantage up close.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 6, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

So are they going to be changing the quests?

The fetchy nature would be resolved if they used the quests to introduce you to come of the cool dungeon types. E.g., for the avian temple thing, give you coordinates to a temple. For the Airship map, tell you what planet an airship is on and make the birds hostile.

Pretty much all of that would be resolved with the implementation of a planet scanner. Instead of "find an Avian temple somewhere and bring me a thing," it would be, "here's a scanner module that lets you detect the presence of ruins and stuff! Use it to find an Avian temple and bring me a thing. If you bring the thing, I'll give you <different cool scanner thing>!"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Section Z posted:

I also totally shine my flashlight and manipulator all around and cram torches as far as I can if I see little nooks. It doesn't really help or lead to anything more interesting than "Well, that fall would have probably killed me if I had kept digging in the dark because you can't use a flashlight and manipulator at the same time".

A little directional light attachment that makes the MM function like a flashlight would be a fantastic upgrade. Make it require Plutonium to unlock or something.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Inverness posted:

That's silly. It's just a flashlight. It shouldn't require anything but what other lights do.

Other flashlights don't use quantum something something photonic flux something to shine flashlight beams through solid matter, the better to locate ore and passages :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

FYI cutting down the vine of a fruit-bearing crop with a digging tool always seems to give you the seed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just jumped over the gladiator and fired rockets whenever I dashed to a safe distance. That bone club is slow as gently caress and won't hit you basically at all if you time it carefully.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you go to a planet covered in poisonous oceans and chop down some giant weird flower trees, they'll drop Toxic Waste, which gives you the recipe for (and is used in) yellow stimpacks. Bring those antidotes of yours since you'll constantly be pelted with poisonous rain.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Terraria is much more polished and feature-complete, with a smoother progression and some very challenging endgame boss battles to bang your head against.

Starbound in its current form is a considerably chiller game imho. It's really open-ended and beyond a certain point you just kinda contentedly wander the galaxy exploring and making weird food and collecting interesting things. It's relaxing and a good way to unwind.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Afraid of Audio posted:

How do you say this with a straight face.

I dunno, because when I'm home from work and the kid's been put to bed I like to zone out and chill around collecting and building space stuff for an hour or two? It's certainly a more laid-back experience than Terraria, where every biome has infinitely-spawning hostile monsters, your NPCs are constantly being murdered if you don't build them into a flying bomb shelter, bosses randomly spawn to attack you, and then you activate Hardmode and everything is suffering and death until you scrape together some good gear in between getting slaughtered by mechanical bosses.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I find Starbound a good low-key, "I don't feel like worrying about anything right now" game because you can stop whatever content-unlocking thing you're doing and just dick around looking for vanity items on a colourful planet full of flowers and goofy smiling aliens while relaxing music plays in the background, and if you don't like that planet, there are infinity more planets to go to. You don't starve to death anymore, monsters don't continually spawn to attack you in neutral areas like your ship or the station, if you want to spend an hour gutting and redecorating your ship then you can do that, and if you want to run around fighting poo poo in a bloodyminded attempt to build an idyllic cottage in radioactive poison death hell, you can do that too.

Different strokes :shobon:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

YarPirate posted:

The game can be quite relaxing single player, but the server my group of friends and I play on crashes about every 15 minutes. It has happened at very inopportune times (during first boss fight, for example) and remains as one of the big reasons I can't really get into this game. Maybe it is because the server is a mac pro? Anyone else noticing server crashes?

It seems to depend on the server. I've played on a few that were quite stable despite a very high playercount, and others that crashed constantly. Occasionally I'll find a server that runs smooth as butter with virtually no lag, but randomly hiccups and kicks everyone. It's all very strange.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does this make multiplayer between people with different operating systems impossible since they wouldn't have any worlds in common?

The multiplayer takes place on a server, and AFAIK the server itself is responsible for generating and saving world data, not the client computer. So the only real concern would be wanting to show your friend a rad planet you found in singleplayer and then realizing you're on a server running a different OS, so that planet doesn't exist unless you go to a server with the same OS as yours.

e: gently caress :argh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Put Novakid settlements in asteroid fields. That or make it possible to visit gas giants and put them there.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Psygnosis posted:

Whats with the earthbound dialogue box?
http://billeager.com/ebtext/
There's a goldmined thread full of them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I like Starbound. I enjoy it and I play it often. Sometimes I talk to people who do not like Starbound. I have no feelings about this, because the fact that some people do not share my tastes is not in any way important to me. I do not enjoy becoming arbitrarily angry about irrelevant things because I am an adult and the aimless frustration of my adolescence is behind me. Now I work and hug my family and eat home-cooked meals and sleep, and sometimes I play games, such as Starbound, while trying not to think about the terrifying inevitability of death. Also, I think the Novakid are neat.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I Said No posted:

I decided to have a go at making a staff just now, excuse the scratchy image quality, couldn't get gifcam to behave :doh:

That is cool as poo poo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A couple of the staffs are decent for attacking from weird angles and hitting stuff that can't see you/retaliate in any meaningful way. They're not so good in out-and-out combat, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I was sent on a quest to kill a bandit lord named Zac in retribution for his attempt to steal an entire ocean. He surrendered just before I finished flamethrowering him to death, and when I spoke to him, he offered to join my crew. Zac the ocean thief is my head of security now.

This game has undergone a few bone-headed changes during its development, but it's nice to see that it can still be fun to chill and explore planets every once in a while. :)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Squiggle posted:

It's actually really fun and good and relaxing to play.

Yes, I agree. It took a long time to make and does a couple things I don't like though, so I guess I'm supposed to hate it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

You can do whatever you want, my friend.

Except stack food :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

Apparently Rock, Paper, Shotgun likes version 1.0 quite a bit.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/21/starbound-pc-review/

Perhaps Starbound actually got good?

It's not perfect, but I've played through the unstable and I certainly enjoyed myself. There are a couple of wrinkles in the pacing - getting your ship operational still takes perhaps a little longer than it reasonably should, and the Hylotl part of the sandboxy main quest elements takes loving eons unless you look for an underwater city, which still takes goddamn ages because exploring underwater is a chore - but overall, I had fun. The storyline is kind of short and not very detailed, but it mostly serves as an excuse to unlock more crazy dungeons and bosses anyway (I think maybe... five have been added?).

The main improvements are in the sandbox gameplay, which was the right thing to focus on imo. Building colonies and collecting gifts from your tenants is kind of satisfying in a Stardew Valley sort of way, sidequests are pretty simple but can be an interesting diversion (just don't bother with the <adjective> Guard ones unless you're carrying around a poo poo ton of crafting materials), and recruiting crew is honestly a lot more satisfying than I anticipated (I have a medic and chemist who heal me to full and hit me with a jump stimpack every time I return to my ship, and I recently recruited a randomized sidequest boss who became a bandit after attempting to steal an entire ocean). You can completely bypass the pixel cost of upgrading your ship by maxing out its crew capacity, which instantly qualifies you for the next upgrade licence. Biomes are a bit more varied, there's more music variety, and the combat balance seems to be a lot better; if you're good and have a decent weapon, you can go pretty far without upgrading your armour much, and even then you can almost always buy current-tier armour from merchants that you come across. I'm pretty sure I only personally crafted maybe two pieces of armour and zero weapons before I reached the final boss, because I liked wearing a mismatched brigandine of pieces from various different species.

tl;dr: it got better than it was. If you wholeheartedly despised it then you probably won't like it now. If you thought it was a fun, chill experience but got stale, you'll greatly enjoy the added variety when you come back and see what's changed.

e: the addition of shops that offer weird and wonderful equipment and items in exchange for rare ingredients is nice, too. Instead of reaching the top tier of equipment and saying "okay, now what," you can explore around for vanity items and interesting crew members, and accrue the various rare monster bits and other doohickeys you need to turn your gauntlet into a sick-nasty bladed gauntlet or buy a crazy transforming crossbow from the shady trader who shows up near the Ark. It's a small difference, but it does really help to blunt the "you did everything, now wander in existential hell" feeling of passing the through last progression gateway and then kind of looking around helplessly.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 22, 2016

• Locked thread