Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i haven't looked at any starbound-related threads for a while, did that january update actually land and how cool/whatever is it on a scale of Starbound to Starbound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okay

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone whose brain can partially stand modded minecraft poo poo i would not wish it on the population at large and would heavily advise against it being in anything else

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RottenK posted:

Gregtech?

there's a whole slew of mods for minecraft that add complicated as gently caress mechanical systems, with gregtech being a notorious one

http://ftbwiki.org/GregTech

there's some mods for minecraft that are legitimately fun despite the inherent minor amount of tedium involved, but some of these things are goddamn ludicrous. a good amount of them are examples of why poo poo like this is an unofficial mod and not how the base game actually functions

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone make a jojo's bizarre adventure mod for starbound and then maybe i'll play it again

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sword_man.gif posted:

oh boy an overarching plot that involves temples what're the odds that it's some uninspired horseshit poorly combining halo and cthulhu mythos about a big mysterious evil and an ancient civilization

you say that like every game about space doesn't do that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

more than anything the devs need to figure out what exactly they want the game to be and focus on that aspect instead of having it be a jumbled mess of things that tug in opposite directions

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it'll probably eventually be something someday but for now terraria will be updating next month and there's a wide world of other poo poo to play while chucklefish putters around and does whatever the gently caress they're doing while trying to figure out what makes videogames 'fun'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, I'm just saying that my interest in Starbound has waned so much that I'm back having genuine fun (on goon-run servers) with Minecraft, a game that I have been playing for 5 years now.

i might play more minecraft at some point because i'm one of those broken people that actually enjoys those gigantic modpacks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i always got the impression that it would be weird alien things attacking in an event of some sort. i'm not all too sure what all's going to be added but it's an excuse to play the game again, at least.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

more than anything the devs need to figure out what exactly they want the game to be and focus on that aspect instead of having it be a jumbled mess of things that tug in opposite directions

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria definitely has issues but at least the dev knew what he wanted to do with it and just kinda built on that over time. so, i mean, you can play it and feel like you're actually doing something at the least

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao at you interpreting what's probably a joke post as something more complicated than that

also calling lowtax 'somewhat famous'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

supernorn needs to post more if it's going to produce more drive-by attempts at tepid burns

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm still in the camp of 'starbound could probably be good one day' but lmao if anyone says that the amount of time involved so far isn't goddamn ridiculous and a huge sign that no one knows what the gently caress they want to do

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dog kisser posted:

Hey I'm restarting work on the Peglaci because I want it to be done properly

Also I will never escape modding ever please kill me

i hear minecraft modding is some fertile soil

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria at least has the advantage of being a 'complete' game, which helps things a lot. there's a couple things i have beef with when it's concerned, but it's easy to overlook those things when i can at least play the game and enjoy myself. i'll definitely load it up once the update hits in like 12 days or some poo poo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can see the dark souls influence

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the 1.3 update for terraria is looking pretty good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

remember when someone pointed out that it made no sense to do generic mining poo poo and all that in a game about space travel and everyone tried their best to tell him why he was wrong. also i brought up that it taking 30 minutes to cut a vine with the matter manipulator thing was stupid and people tried to defend it. then it was changed later. hmm

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alternatively: lmao

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Discussion > Games > Starbound: A game about mining except it's really not because basically everything involving anything below the ground kinda sucks, so have fun with a pickaxe and a sense of progression so hosed that you're going to loop back on yourself and gouge your eyes out with that same pickaxe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i remember when they held that contest where people designed creatures to put in the game and a lot of the better suggestions looked really good. i'd vastly prefer having poo poo like that over the loving pointless enemies made out of interchangeable duplo blocks the game has now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria 1.3 has a lot more space and science fiction than it used to

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're forgetting roguelikes you NERD

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Minrad posted:

I wish Terraria could steal the world jumping and maybe some of the art assets. But then Starbound would have literally no content left.

i'm surprised terraria still hasn't done alternate dimensions to add more content in a limited space

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria was successful because it does a lot yet doesn't overdo poo poo and the overall aesthetics are at least okay. the gameplay/progression won't be everyone's thing but it's a thing for enough people to where it's loved to whatever extent. the combat is relatively simplistic and they used that as a springboard to come up with a wide variety of ultimately unique and fun to use poo poo so you can kinda 'customize' your character worth half a poo poo instead of trying to rely on an incredibly halfbaked random generator to give the illusion of variety. it's not perfect, but there's some very distinct reasons why it's been so successful. timing might have been part of it, who knows.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think this would be less stupid overall if the actual base game was worth a poo poo yet

'yeah the players can't dig any fun out of the core gameplay but at least the farming system is now more loving tedious than anything minecraft has ever implemented'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm being serious here, farming in minecraft is less tedious than it is in starbound now. i've played minecraft with a million mods before and farming was never that stupid

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bel Monte posted:

You mean to say that farming has somehow gone untouched by gregtech?! :monocle:

it probably was but it's very easy to just not use gregtech, something which many people put into practice. in starbound's case the base game just kicks the player in the ribs for wanting to do some basic poo poo for no reason whatsoever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you'd think they could have gone with some sane poo poo like 'hey the growing speed was slightly lowered but if you keep up with watering your plants they will grow faster on average than they used to' but hey nah let's completely ignore a million of solutions that were implemented in other, actually complete and successful games in favor of something that is truly, literally, more tedious than basically anything that has ever been modded into minecraft.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why the gently caress is that being brought up. i'm pretty sure they're going to actually a deliver a working game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gimbal lock posted:

I wish I'd never given money for this product. Not that I care about the money -- hindsight excluded, I've wasted far more money for dumber reasons. I just wish that I hadn't participated in the monstrous overfunding that this project suffered from. Had they actually needed to make a sellable product to get money, maybe we'd have seen results out of this rapidly evaporating mountain of potential.

i paid for towns one night for some reason, so i have a hard time caring about paying money for starbound since at least starbound can be modded to add something vaguely resembling entertainment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

starbound is the 'weekend at bernie's' of the videogame world

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it was part of the kickstarter-esque thing they had when selling preorders. nevermind that minecraft and somehow terraria have beaten it to the punch already.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Orv posted:

I wanna say it's only in mods for Minecraft.

the only way to play minecraft

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's less in his spare time and more 'a full time job' now since he gets enough donations to live vaguely comfortably or some poo poo. i think notch should stop donating to random poo poo and donate money to toady.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's nice, because it's obvious that the guy has a gift of sorts and it's produced the type of thing that a lot of people really enjoy, so him being able to live off of that is cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh boy, they're adding unique monsters to biomes. maybe they're finally learning that hey, maybe cut and pasted body parts that either leap, charge, or fly at someone aren't remotely good or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it would work fine in a game with combat that doesn't boil down to some ambulatory turd hopping at you

starbound doesn't qualify for that, unfortunately

• Locked thread