Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Well, took them god drat long enough. I lost all hope in this game for a bit when absolutely nothing got released for almost a year now. On the otherhand, I guess I have waited longer for an update in the past (2.5 years IIRC).

This had better be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

It's pretty weird to see how much this thread has changed from a few years ago. Before there were just constant arguments about what the devs did and whether the game was fun or not. Now it's nothing but grim fatalism as far as the eye can see. I guess everyone just gave up?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Honestly, I think one of the main issues with Starbound right now is that they haven't gone far enough into random generation. Sure, they have random monster appearance and stats, but all their attacks, abilities, and otherwise interesting features are chosen from a canned list. The same goes for the special weapons, which have random stats that ultimately become meaningless beyond the DPS, and their special abilities are chosen from the same canned list which means you keep running into the same five features all the time. They really ought to focus on making those special abilities more variable and subject to procedural generation, and the only reason I can think of to avoid it would be because it could be hard to balance or something :shrug:? But even still, it could potentially be done in a fair and balanced manner with time and effort. I don't understand why this hasn't been thought of at any point of Starbound's development.

I hope this will end up being something that the modding community will fix, but only time will tell if that's a likely prediction or just hopeless optimism.

• Locked thread