Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

That took me several tries too, the fight requires some very precise platforming and if you don't have double jump yet it's way too hard. The beam damage could be lower.

Every single boss is terrible. It's like someone thought the combat was actually compelling/good. It is terrible and annoying. Two hits to death in high tier armor is hilariously stupid.

edit: lmao the third boss will actually one shot you from full health with a rushing attack in full current armor. DARK SOULS COMBAT indeed.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah sounds like some people forgot the metroid influence.

Except that Metroid controls are good. Most of the problems present in combat could be solved by removing the slow backwards walk. I'm astounded that anyone played with that for any length of time and declared it a good feature.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

I feel like going back saying "It's bad," "But I like it," "BUT IT'S SO BAD." isn't going to really solve anything. It just sounds like you're bad at the game, since many people were able to handle it using the tools given and pattern recognition.

I was able to handle it, that doesn't make it not a terrible, clunky mess.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Idk, people are finding it fun, which is subjective.

Have you considered getting gud?

u got me.

OrangeSoda posted:

Iv'e stopped trying. It's best just to reply about stuff actually involving the game and move on. The slow walk issue is actually relevant though.

I do not like the slow backwards walk either though. I like the game, but there are some dumb design decisions. The slow backwards walk does not work with the mouse aiming at all, meaning aiming in the wrong direction could cause you to suddenly be walking "backwards" and slow down, often causing whatever you're fighting to get some free hits in.

Like I said, most of my problems with the combat and movement come from the slow backwards walking. Stopping mid jump like you've hit an invisible wall all because of the direction you're aiming makes no sense whatsoever. In a game with a fixed forward/backward it's fine, it doesn't work in Starbound and shouldn't have made it this far.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 30, 2015

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

Still haven't beaten the mine boss :(

Though, I also stopped after the second try because holy poo poo so many pink guys in your way. For now, I built myself a new space shack and hosed around a bit.

Like, am I the only one here who feels that the movement controls in Starbound are bad and floaty? I'd attribute most of my failure against the boss to that, because I've fallen to my death mostly. For a game that includes dungeons where you have to make perfect jumps, and generally seems big on precise moves, the controls suck rear end imo.

They are bad and floaty. It seems like they're loathe to admit that they havent crafted a great platformer.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

XboxPants posted:

It seems to be based largely on the physical size of the object. Bigger boxes can actually hold more stuff now. (Usually)

I just installed a mod to normalize them all to 48 because having to deal with tiny boxes is stupid.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

Dark Souls!

Yeah but Dark Souls is fun and good. I tried playing the latest stable with a few friends and all but one of us burned out after about 30 minutes. The intro is so tedious I can't even bring myself to see all the additions they've made since I last played.

I used to think this game would be good :(

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

Food doesn't stack anymore lol

Just try and stack a bunch of bananas or something. It can't be done.

I hope this is only a feature of the REALISM mode or whatever because that would be really funny and stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

When running you should have a chance to trip and maybe you could break your ankle and have to craft crutches and it could take six weeks to heal and sometimes there are complications and you die.

Dwarf Fortress is cool so they should put a little grognard dwarf realism in to Starbound. Thanks for reading ;)

• Locked thread