Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I was one of the three Turtlicious hooked up with Starbound and I just played it for the first time. Spent two hours exploring an abandoned mining complex on the starter planet, spelunking down to the core, dinking around the outpost, and visiting robots and bird people on a desert planet.

Why didn't you guys tell me this was so fun? I feel like you've been holding out on me.

Anatharon posted:

Is there any reason to play this considering Terraria is a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Section Z posted:

Even things which show up a pricetag when you slot them into the 3D printer can end up not letting you put them into the printer options.

"Oh, hey. Lanterns I got from this mine. Shows up a price when I slot it *push button* oh, guess not."

I can only assume everything relating to the 3D printer is a work in progress. I would prefer it only work on all building materials and decorations so you never have to strip more than one kind of structure.

People keep saying they want some kind of shipping/trading/mercantile system and quests. Would that fall within the current capabilities of the modding system? I'm surprised there isn't something like that already.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

If the 3D printer were more than just an afterthought, you could have Outpost Blueprint items that add all the contents to the printer on use.

I would actually go one step further and say that once you mine a block of some basic material not used in serious crafting (like dirt or cobble or outpost walls) it should be added to some kind of infinite bulk matter library so you don't have to worry about harvesting and managing stacks of thousands of blocks. Starbound has so much poo poo in it to collect and manage that I really think it needs to loosen up on the more mundane stuff like collecting blocks for basic construction.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

Still haven't beaten the mine boss :(

Though, I also stopped after the second try because holy poo poo so many pink guys in your way. For now, I built myself a new space shack and hosed around a bit.

Like, am I the only one here who feels that the movement controls in Starbound are bad and floaty? I'd attribute most of my failure against the boss to that, because I've fallen to my death mostly. For a game that includes dungeons where you have to make perfect jumps, and generally seems big on precise moves, the controls suck rear end imo.

Since enemies don't do damage just by touching you, it's pretty easy to run through the whole thing (including the crazy guys at the end). I had to do the mine twice, and the second time I just skipped all the fighting.

The controls really are pretty bad, honestly. You have this weird half-momentum half-air-control thing going on when you jump, and it's even worse if your mouse isn't pointing the right way. It's not nearly as tight or responsive as it should be.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

LordSaturn posted:

One particular modder got upset with CF over the pace at which they were working and threw some kind of NDA-breaking hissyfit which resulted in his mod/credit being removed from the game.

Wasn't that some kinda ammo system for guns, too? I wonder if that would have been an improvement over energy, or if we dodged a bullet there.

:v:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I'm really curious why you always respawn on your ship instead of at the last bed you slept in. That worked so well in Terraria and would fix so many complaints about the mine mission instantly.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I think the developers may have lost focus on what actually sells Starbound. The heart of the game is collecting stuff, building stuff, and traveling to other planets to collect and build stuff. EVERYTHING ELSE needs to function to ENCOURAGE people to do these things, not delay or distract. And that includes systems like quests and combat. Don't gate space exploration behind quests, give people a reason to find new planets. Don't gate exploration behind monsters, give people a reason to fight things.

These are not things that come later, these are things that form the core experience of the game, the principles that sold the game in the first place. Give people stuff to collect, give people stuff to build, and give people things to explore, make them all connect in fun and interesting ways, AND THEN add things like quests and combat that enhance and encourage the core features.

The first few hours of a new Terraria character are completely free and open. By the time you find gated things, you've already collected, built, and explored enough to WANT to break that gate.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Buttmeister posted:

this game is a lot like communism when you think about it

A fully-functional version of it has never been attempted?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

dog kisser also came up with whole new classes of firearms, each with upgrade paths to add additional features, for his Peglaci race mod. It was crazy and super good.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Haerc posted:

Is this game (Halfway?) actually fun? I haven't looked in this thread since the "big" winter update of 2014-2015 IIRC.

I like it, but it's even more of a motherfucker about its hit percentages than XCOM. It's also pretty repetitive for how long it is, but if you get into the story (it's good) or dig the art style (it's really good), it's fun for a mission or two at a time. I wrote a great big review of it over here.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Starbound: It's a little Tiy'd up at the moment

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Starbound: What has rails but is never on track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Eonwe posted:

holy poo poo I didn't even notice, lmao

any quad poster is a friend of mine

I totally heard the quad damage sound in my head while I was reading those.

• Locked thread