Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Never played the unstable branch, so I'm liking a lot of the new changes, especially the quests and upgrades on the computer. I guess I have to go to this desert planet to find fuel, but I'm getting wrecked even with no contact damage from monsters. I guess it doesn't help that there's a shitload of dudes with machineguns all over the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Wow, Apex labs are really unfun now. I just found one with a tech chest behind a locked door, and some kind of reactor thing behind double locked doors. I went through the two obstacle courses available there multiple times, which was awful, and nothing else seemed to open up despite both branches having a pressure pad at the very end.

Edit: Googled the issue, and found a thread on the Starbound forums from folks who are also encountering this problem, and a classy post from a moderator:

quote:

There's currently an open thread for this issue: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/dungeon-generation-bug.87507/

The OP, for some reason, decided not to include any actual useful information, so if you can post your details and screenshots that would be great.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 30, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Weird, I still think something must have been broken, in the end, when I'd run out of bandages, I turned on admin mode to get back through the traps after pressing the pressure pad, something must be going wrong because theres no way I can go any faster.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Lenses would be easy to justify using existing resources, just have early tier lenses be glass in a frame of whatever metal, and later ones be diamond in higher tier metal modules, then you just have to say they're exhausted when the metal burns up or something. Would give a good reason to go after resources that aren't used for much any more.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also rope needs a durability meter. I love the climbing rope in this game, it just sucks using up 1 rope every time I want to climb up or down something our swing across a gap... Our would also make me less inclined to just use the 8 Quinton dirt to bridge a gap or help me climb.

Later on you can craft an infinitely reusable grappling hook.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

ScorpioMajesty posted:

How much later?

I'm fairly sure it's made on the robotic workstation using durasteel, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If you type /help in admin mode it'll give you a list, and you can specify a command to learn what it does, think it tells you how.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been playing around with shields, blocking, and one handed weapons today, and now the game is a lot more enjoyable. Do it people.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Where the heck do I get leather?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Dandywalken posted:

Wonder how much of this can be somehow bypassed by Tech mods somehow? poo poo like a "slam-the-gently caress-down from the air" tech, etc.

I think there is a ground pound tech, though I haven't picked it yet. I've been using the blink tech for that kind of thing, hover cursor over where I want to be, press F, job done.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I killed nearly a hundred monsters with hunting weapons, working my way up the difficulty levels, it wasn't until I got to a hazardous volcanic hellhole that I finally got some leather drop.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I wish guns were good. I could forgive pretty much everything else if guns were effective and fun.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Rapid-fire guns are kinda good for killing annoying flying enemies sometimes.

Some of the slower-firing guns are actually decent. The Novakid craftable revolvers are pretty good in their own tiers. You still need to swap to melee occasionally, but you can significantly soften up anything you can't kill outright with a few shots from each gun.

Yeah, it's just a shame you can't outright replace melee with ranged weapons and still be as effective, this is a space game dammit!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, just like there's a lot of neat environmental stuff going on that you never have to deal with, there are a lot of neat tools you don't get early enough or might never find at all. Yesterday I found an ice axe that you equip like a weapon, when you touch a wall and click with it you'll hang there. Unfortunately I'd already built the grappling hook, had the targeted blink and pulse jump equipped and rocket boots unlocked, so I used it once, thought 'neat' then never touched it again.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

There's some great ideas on flashlights here, I mean, the devs love progression and choosing between stuff, be it weapons or techs or whatever, so they could even tie it into that. Give another equipment slot, call it gadgets or whatever, and have you build and find stuff to go in it. You could start with a lovely flashlight in there, and have to work up to the equivalent of the one you start with seeing as it would be an option to have it always on now.

Maybe put the rail rider functionality into a gadget, this theoretical equipment slot would be always passively on, so it would work when you touch a rail, but that wouldn't be a problem as you wouldn't equip it unless you wanted to use it. This would also be a great place to have mineral or lifeform scanners, something the shape of a flashlight beam that would reveal whatever it was tuned to, with higher tier ones revealing more stuff at a greater range. This idea is somewhat exciting though so we may never see anything like it.

Edit: On pixels, yeah I have an upper tier character now, so there's a nice little box full of portable pixel printers on the starter world to provide my new characters with a real source of healing.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 7, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Heck yeah give us drones and turrets in our space game. That made me think of something I wanted to ask, there's pet slots on the inventory screen right? Anyone found anything to go in them yet? I found the secret cat on the mine level but it seems all you can do with that is stuff it in a capture ball and have it wander around your ship.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Picks are useful but I'm happy enough with the speed of the upgraded manipulator not to bother about cluttering my inventory with more consumables, though I'll use them if I happen to find them.

Speaking if asteroids, are the asteroid fields you can fly to just barren now? I've visited some and as far as I can tell they don't have any of the monsters, ore, or cool bases that they used to.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Did something change? The spawn point on my home/starter planet seems to have moved to the left.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 8, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

50 1 Shade of Dirt.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I spent all night building a fancy-rear end space mansion on my starter world out of all the ship walls I've been saving up, can't wait for the next wipe!

Does grass not grow on dirt? Even before I dug everything up today some of the ground I laid has been bare dirt for a while.

Also I haven't really been paying attention so I had no idea there was a goon server, I'll definitely come check it out.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I downloaded this cool Metroid armor pack, but it's for an old version, I changed the version from whatever koala to whatever giraffe in the modinfo file, but it still crashes my game when I launch it, any tips?

Edit: it's this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/196/ I'll look at what I need to do to update it tomorow, if I have any luck I'll post it here.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 13, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I keep meaning to see if I can place the various teleporters down in admin mode and they'll still work, but I keep forgetting about it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Alright so I'm looking at existing armor mods for giraffe to try and figure out how to update an old abandoned one, and I'm having a problem with the player.config thing, I think. This old mod has a player.config with a merge function at the top, and newer ones seem to use a player.config.patch file with entries for each armor item. However, if I try to use a player.config.patch file, I get an error about a missing player.config file. If I try to use that, I get an error about humanoidtiming. Any tips?

Edit: Also I've been trying to follow this tutorial where I can but it's concise enough to make me think I'm on the right track while simultaneously being too vague to be any real help, even with the downloaded example. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 15, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Cool, thanks for the help. If you're a huge nerd like me and want to Starbind dressed as Metroid then here you go, original mod, Metroid armor pack by hoxalicious.

Updated version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3m-Q_qzjxC2WnltOGplc0M2Qmc/view?usp=sharing

Craftable at a basic anvil for a handful of pixels.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I mistakenly went down to a snowy planet with the wrong nanoskin, and I actually did slide around while moving down there, so not only does the skin protect you from cold, it protects you from sliding on ice, kinda lame.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I really just want them to finish the game, even if they say 'gently caress it' and leave it a poorly implemented mess. I've been enjoying building poo poo, but I don't want to get too attached or put too much time into my structures when there's probably gonna be more wipes. Honestly, no matter what they release I'm probably going to be changing lots of stuff with mods, so the quality of what they sign off on isn't such a huge deal.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Don't get my hopes up.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

For a moment I thought 'possibly a space station?' might be hinting on new content but then I realised it was a moon and a lame Star Wars joke.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I keep thinking I should join that one goon server that's been mentioned a couple of times, but I'd have to install that bigger cave mod and that would nuke all the poo poo I've built.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

"plan"

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

dog is project manager

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

This sounds cool in passing, but this whole thing about needing certain stuff to attract certain NPC's, who might need some room set aside for the unique crafting stuff they'll put down, sounds really arbitrary and impossible to figure out on your own. It'll just be another progression grind, albeit one you'll need to follow a guide for.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I haven't played Terraria since some forgotten point from before they added the goblin attacks. It just feels kind of tiresome to think about relearning basically everything.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

there's a starbound
waiting to be played
they'd like to try and patch it
but I think they need some aid

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yes that sounds like something you should be thinking about, yes.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

lol customers? yeah right pffft!

Edit: Okay, look, I'll find one for you. Thoughts?

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

I honestly believe the game really was at its best nearly two years ago when combat and recovery options were nice and simple, just needed more content and structure. Instead, we got well over a year of meandering about and getting nothing done because they were too busy trying to think of ways to bog down most mechanics with arbitrary restrictions. Sure, combat and stuff still needed some tweaks, but just bogging it down for the sake of "Gotta attract that :darksouls: audience, yo!" was not it, and I'm sure that even to this day, enemies can kill you just by jumping in/around you like some coked up jackrabbit while you have even less ability to effectively defend against it, and sure as hell cannot heal all the constant chip damage from these encounters in any efficient manner, time or resource-wise.

I think they really shoulda focused more on content and overall structure than just pissing about on combat revision after combat revision. That or maybe not have focused on making the game extremely slow and methodical when it drat sure cannot pull that style of game off in a 2D space, and it only pales in comparison to eventually be able to tear rear end across a planet with a jetpack raining rockets on the annoying wildlife below, because you're a goddamn spaceman and you've earned it through hard work and/or the rapid pillaging and resource stripping of several planets.

Well that was my post, see you next year I guess.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Supernorn posted:

:eyepop:

Yes, I should definitely be taking this thread seriously.

seriously. and you wonder why theres shitposting? I dare you to respond to a single serious post in this thread. theres probably one on every page. maybe

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Turtlicious posted:

Who here actually has said anything besides how bad starbound is?

just curious, because if I made something, I probably wouldn't read a bunch of words about how my game is crap waiting for that one piece of corn that is honest criticism.

Especially if I made 20 million dollars on said thing.

they didnt make 20 million on starbound, they made it on the idea of starbound, the shitposting didnt happen overnight, this is the result of the devs ignoring legitimate criticism and doubling down on bad decisions, if they made a genuine effort to engage with their userbase rather than say things like 'Yes, I should definitely be taking this thread seriously.' maybe they could claw back some credibility

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

just avoid any game with star in the title, it's easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I don't know man, sounds like you're describing a good castlevania game to me

• Locked thread