Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I played Starbound today. Somebody will become angry about that and tell me about it I'm sure.

I clicked on some stuff and mined some ores. Some other things happened and I killed a monster. That's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Can't wait to see the most elaborate and pointless thing someone comes up with as an arcade game.

Playing Starbound while playing Starbound.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

neither post was true

All posts are false.

Especially this one.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mutata posted:

Eh, anthropomorphic animals don't inherently bother me as I've seen an animated film in the past 6 decades. Ponies don't inherently bother me either. That other version seems like it's better though since it's actually on model.

The problem isn't the ponies. My Little Pony is a pretty good show for what it is, really. The animation is good and I would probably watch it if I was a ten year old girl.

The problem is the insane, terrifying level of obsession that internet adult men have with it. Pretty much every game in existence gets a pony sex mod at some point. A completely batshit crazy culture of grown men obsessing over a show aimed at little girls has developed around it. If you value your sanity avoid that particular rabbit hole. There are things that cannot be unseen.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

brony chat or starbound

which is better

Yes.

Each is better than the other while simultaneously also being worse.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Malek posted:

Starbound is the new Cube World

Pretty sure a major difference is that somebody, somewhere has looked at the Starbound code in the last year.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing; that got us bullshit like the drat crystal mine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mutata posted:

It's better than anything they have in there now. All of the problems they have in there now will still be there though. I hope NPCs quests are more than "I really want this fruit to eat/this chair to sit in!"

Don't worry they'll find some way to ruin it. I have faith.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Or give enimies the ability to dig if there is no path avaliable.

BUT THEN WHAT ABOUT MY ENORMOUS PENIS-SHAPED HOUSE? IT MIGHT GET DAMAGED AND THAT drat CLOWN WILL RUIN DAYS' WORTH OF EFFORT!!!!! :qq:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That's it you're Stargrounded. Go to your room, young man.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ozzy8bats posted:

So... What the hell happened here? I left for like five months and it seems this game is just dead to everyone now? Did Chucklefish just give up on it? I didn't feel like reading everyone's :words:

They looked at all the things that were actually fun and went "these things are not fun" then took them out and added a lot of unfun railroading bullshit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm actually kind of impressed that the game has somehow become less finished in the past year.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
All games are bad.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gimbal lock posted:

Why is this game still bad, shouldn't it be good yet?

Define "good."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ahundredbux posted:

Terraria is also poo poo btw

I can still fire up Terraria and have fun with it.

Starbound...not so much.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JerikTelorian posted:

The forced linearity of Terraria made that less fun, too. It was cool to find a floating island and get jump boots or whatever, but now you need to finish the dungeon to collect keys to open chests and RRGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGH.

Why does nobody want me to have Fun In Videogames anymore?

I'll grant that older versions of Terraria that you could mostly just sequence break however you pleased were better and these drat 0.3% item drops are dumb as hell. But Terraria, unlike Starbound, I actually enjoy playing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

shiksa posted:

what kind of goober is going to return a game on steam

you wait til its 8 bucks, and if it sucks, well sorry for being out 8 bucks. that's one less outing to chilis.

But you don't understand! My dollars to entertainment ratio! The promises that were made! I NEVER GOT A CUM GUN!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Cool running joke but hey do you think it's possible to like one thing without having to poo poo on another thing at the same time or is appreciation a zero-sum commodity and Terraria can only be good if you compare it to Starbound which you hate?

Terraria is good and keeps getting content updates that make the game better. Starbound is a tech demo at best and the recent updates (lol..."recent") have made the game worse. :shrug:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Okay but my post was in relation to posting the changelog from Terraria in here.

It's a joke, son.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"Here is a screenshot of a jeep!"
"So when are you going to put it in the game?"
:geno:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tengames posted:

I was amazed how many people wanted a futuristic space game so that they could go mine with caveman stone pickaxes

I think the biggest thing people wanted was the sense of progression. You basically start out as a space hobo with a tiny crippled space ship and a stone pick and have to go from there.

Then eventually you're gallivanting around the universe with a huge mech, a rad space ship, and no cares at all.

Instead we got...whatever is going on now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's like they thought "hey Terraria but with space ships and lots of planets would be cool" then took out the Terraria part and thought about literally nothing else. Yeah the game being able to generate like quintillions of different planets is cool and all and exploring was fun for a bit but...well...there just wasn't anything to discover. The monsters were all functionally identical, every planet had every ore type, and the only things I could really build were a cobblebrick house and a garden of fancy trees and potatoes.

I never thought it was possible to make an exploration game so drat boring.

Then they added that stupid as hell gating. That drat mine level with the gem at the end is probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen put in a video game. Yeah the whole "OK you're a space hobo with a nonfunctional ship and you have to fix it" but the way that was handled was awful. OK, dig all the way down for core fragments! Because people quit digging deep and we didn't like that. Oh, you want to do anything else at all with core fragments? Nope, you just fix your ship with them and now they have no use at all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wulfolme posted:

Terraria dev is a millionaire now and he couldn't stop working even when he tried to

It is his curse to keep making a good game better

foreverrr

I can think of a lot of worse things than "has a million dollars, just programs games all day."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

victrix posted:

Has a million dollars, programs Starbound all day?

You say that like Chucklefish has anybody doing anything other than walking into the office, farting on a keyboard, and leaving.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

I wouldn't mind the warping downtime so much if it was even slightly interesting. Like, I used to play EVE Online in college. There's a shitload of downtime in that game as you warp across star systems, especially if you're like me and you drove a space truck. It's kind of cool, though, because you get to watch the planets and stars whiz past you as you go by them.

In Starbound I literally have my character go to sleep while the ship is in warp.

In EVE you probably also are in a corporation and warping around with Goons was...a rather interesting experience. We'd get drunk and talk about donges and buttes for hours.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, drunkchat with goonfleet helped a lot, too, especially for ops where I was just sitting in an asteroid belt waiting for people to barf their ore into my cargo hold.

God dammit why do I keep playing space games

Space games are fun. Space makes everything better. Space improves everything and science fiction is cool.

Granted in the case of EVE that was probably less EVE being fun and more Goons in Space being fun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You want to know why Starbound gets on my nerves? Because it's gotten worse. The promise of early access is "hey here is this game we're working on, you can start playing it and it will get better over time! We'll listen to your suggestions and work in a direction to make as many people as possible happy." Not only is Starbound creeping along at a ludicrously slow pace the game is getting worse. Yeah the first versions were fun briefly but there just wasn't enough meat there. Which was fine, it was early access and there was a lot of promise there.

Instead what got added was some idiotic boss fights, idiotic grind, and incredibly stupid gating that you can get past. The game is a slog, combat is boring, and you can't even really build anything interesting. The game is significantly worse now than it was when it was first out. That's what's aggravating. I look at the state of the game and think to myself "I would not have bought this if i knew this was what I would be getting."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LordZoric posted:

I remember what it was like to have hope.

I wanted Starbound to be a good game. I really did. I was a Chucklefish apologist full of hope and joy for a while.

Now I'm a cynical, broken man who hates video games. All of them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kly posted:

have you tried the nightlies

I did once but my computer monitor punched me in the face and then the game crashed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DeliciousCookie posted:

Literally anytime people have said the game never updates, they also say that nightlies don't count. Its always been that way for some bizarre reason. If its not the stable branch, it doesn't count. End of story.

That's kind of how software works, though. Nightly builds are unstable garbage where you just build whatever happens to be there no matter how badly it functions. They aren't proper versions. A developer releasing nightlies is more "hey if you ever wanted to see how bad games are before they're released take a look!" than actual releases.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jackard posted:

Last I checked, Dwarf Fortress updates were larger and more frequent than Starbound

You can't really compare Dwarf Fortress to Starbound and Toady is...I don't know how to describe Toady other than "a beautifully insane gem we should cherish and nurture."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ahundredbux posted:

otoh isn't dwarf fortress still a 1man gig that he does in his spare time also its free?

glad to hear it, lots of people seem to really like that game
VVV

It started as a hobby and still kind of sort of is. It's a weird story; Toady was actually a math professor at a college but couldn't handle the social interaction required for that sort of thing because he's an extreme recluse. He made the game that him and his brother wanted after the other hobbyish things he did and posted it online in case other people might like it. He's said more than once that he was going to work on Dwarf Fortress in his spare time no matter what but since people have been literally just throwing money at him his response was "OK this is my job now."

Turns out a great many people did, in fact, greatly enjoy Dwarf Fortress and there still isn't anything out there quite like it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ozzy8bats posted:

What about his wrong?

I think it's a pretty nice wrong but I've been wrong before.

fartbound lol

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

this is true

how can starbound be real when our posts aren't real

Nothing is real, everything is permitted.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Koramei posted:

I dunno if it's actually gone backwards so much as we were all super hyped for it when it was launched so we looked past its faults more. Looking back at it most of the things I had the most fun with (e.g. collecting all the instruments so my friends and I could all go around in a big band being annoying) was really just a novelty, but they kept it fun enough to get enjoyment out of at the time.

No, it's gone backwards. The problem with big, open sandbox games is that they need to feel big and open. Starbound did at first. Think about Minecraft and Terraria; the gates are mostly pretty soft. If you're good enough you don't need X gear to beat Y boss to get Z thing. This is especially true of Terraria. You generally aren't forced to get any specific item to beat a particular boss to get further in the game. You don't need to fight the bosses until you feel like it and you can just get better gear and crush them if you want that.

Starbound is hard gating things. You can't get certain things until you clear the mines. Where Terraria and Minecraft are saying "hey here is a huge world to explore, have fun, maybe build a house or something, I don't care do what you want" Starbound is saying "hey here is this EVEN HUGER world to explore but gently caress YOU, do these inane quests first."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DolphinCop posted:

there was a ton of random furniture items you could collect when starbound first entered early access, and i made some pretty kickass bases, but each unique item on screen would add framerate lag until the game became unplayably slow. i stopped playing when it became clear that chucklefish wasnt particularly interested in performance fixes, because, lets face it, theyre designers, not developers

I'm guessing the game is also optimized like garbage and is getting worse. I could play it just fine when it first came out but now it's literally unplayable it's so laggy and awful.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Starbrowned.

Because brown is the color of poop.

I am a clever and hilarious poster.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

the last time they reworked combat they SAID it'd be engaging and tactical and poo poo but we ended up with slow backwalking and energy drain

so yeah until I see it in action, and it turns out to be cool? I don't trust it.

Energy drain wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that if you do anything at all that uses energy you end up dry for over half the fight. You can't even get two shots out of your gun without getting tired. It's like "hey guys we made this cool game with procedural guns (that all suck horribly and you can't even use)."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

If any of you nerds are actually playing Starbound and not just posting that you like it, upload screenshots of interesting locations or cool stuff. I want to update the OP with newer screens and stuff, but it seems like no actually plays the loving game lol

Well I'd like to play Starbound a bit because it did have some things going on that I liked but it runs like complete rear end now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

i know this is a sandbox game and there is no wrong way to play, but if there was, it would look like whatever it is you're spending your time doing

The only winning move is not to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Section Z posted:

Remember when Supernorn told us in this thread (or was it the last?) they were going to make the energy system more forgiving, and then the next day announced "if you run out of energy, we lock your regen! This is adds real depth to combat because-"?

See, it would add depth to combat if there were any meaningful choices in spending energy but as it stands two shots from any gun cleans out your bar completely. The fact that guns take energy right now might as well make the rate of fire for every gun be "lol nope." The closest thing to "depth" is try to use your gun for a few minutes, realize all the guns are loving terrible, and then switch to a melee weapon. Which also has zero depth; one of three things happens -

1 - You kill everything in one shot.
2 - You kill everything in two shots.
3 - Everything kills you in one shot.

Combat is basically an equipment check. If you have good enough gear the monsters are zero threat. If you do not you just die.

I very much want Starbound to be a good game but...well...it isn't.

• Locked thread