Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Did I exhaust the content already? I got level 6 gear, and killed a robot/mech boss with missiles and a flamethrower. The reward was the heat-proof suit but there dont seem to be any more quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

this owns

yeah that sounds like the point where they stopped adding quest stuff and actual progression. You make the items that let you advance tiers on your crafting benches I think. You can still get to tier 10.

I'm not seeing anything like that, and I'm also not seeing any more types of planets to land on that I can't survive. The hardest ones are volcanic, magma, and dead.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Does anyone know how to mess with ship and/or quest states? I finished the first boss but when I went to the AI to repair the FTL drive, the game crashed when I clicked. The quest is marked as complete but the ship is still broken. I can't fuel up or use the FTL. Also it ate the crystals.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

XboxPants posted:

The new stable (it didn't before) actually generates new sections of map for every individual keystroke you enter. Protip, if you're on multiplayer, you can even use this to effectively run a ghetto-DoS since this very quickly eats up all the CPU cycles, by just mashing the keyboard as fast as you can and bring down the entire server!

Best of all, since you can end up crashing the entire machine, this means if it's a VPS, and there's a bunch of other people also hosting servers on the same box, you can crash everyone's server simultaneously! It's win-win for everyone! :haw:

Servers get

Starbowned.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Cicadas! posted:

Starbound is a large-scale group hallucination brought on by escaping veins of underground gas.

*farrrrrrrrrrrrt*

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Oh good, the underground parts are even more tedious, can't save+quit to get back to your ship.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Just more grist for the mill then. Nobody can stop the player from doing what he/she wants.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

At 1:33 in the steam trailer, the lava dragon has a set of eyes very close to crocomire from super metroid, only the fourth set of eyes were remodeled into a snout. That part is so distinct, I'm leaning toward plagiarism.

I also picked up on Crocomire from that sprite. He's a good monster, and quite distinct.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I've played with the 1.0 nightly for a few hours and it's... inoffensive? A lot of stuff is more coherent, it performs better, and there are some good interface improvements. It still feels like I'm doing stuff for no real reason though.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

So far, yes, a little. You need to beat the first boss in the mining base to get your interstellar drive to work but you don't get any critical crafting drops as far as I can tell. I'll have a better answer soon.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah it seems like all of the gating is gone once you get past the first boss. Environment suit upgrades and crafting station upgrades are made out of regular crafting materials. Certain NPC shops are gated behind optional one-off boss fights but these are so far short and easy.

Matter manipulator upgrades are handled with a dedicated interface you can invoke whenever you want. Requires manipulator upgrade modules which are found in random chests all over.

That first super annoying quest to dig to the core of the planet and get core fragments can still be completed that way, but you can also get fragments as loot from containers in the abandoned mine on the tutorial planet.

The crazy annoying scavenger hunt quests (bring me a USMC prison sign etc) are gone as far as I can tell. You still need to find different racial settlements but they seem to be more evenly seeded, and more importantly, have seed weight to specific kinds of planets around specific star types. And the quest text tells you this.

There are quite a lot of good improvements here. I might be a bit easy to win over but I'm overall positive about Starbound now.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

are hylotl cities still not in the loving game

They are in. Pretty goddamn majestic when you first see one.

socialsecurity posted:

So is the "unstable" version in steam this nightly people talk about?

Yes, unstable + opt into betas.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Moryrie posted:

Oh, I did actually have a question. Is this actually more tedious than Sunless Sea? .. at least Sunless Sea in like mid 2014 when I last gave it a chance and it was tedious and slow, and they seemed to keep balancing it to be even more so? Because that's one comparison I never saw brought up somehow.

Sunless Sea is basically an interactive novel and I totally get why people find it tedious or unfun. For all its slow pace and obfuscation the player at least gets paid with cool text to read. But that game is trying to do something specific and I'd say it more or less hits its mark. Starbound, even in its current inoffensive state, really doesn't have any idea what it wants to be beyond 'everything'.

If I were to compare their tedium, I'd say Starbound is the more tedious because it has about 1/10 the payoff that Sunless Sea does.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Zereth posted:

Wait matter manipulator upgrades are random drops now? Rather than just getting some specific metals?

I found like 20 on the first planet. They're literally in every other container. Yeah you need a couple hundred of them to fully upgrade the MM but you were gonna open every chest anyway right?

If you think it's dumb or want to skip it just spawn some modules with the console.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it still going to be a massive pain in the rear end to upgrade your ship? I don't mind working for it, if that's a fun task, but goddamn :psyduck:

There are no fun tasks. I've completed the plot.

Ship upgrades are handled by paying pixels for the ship license and then handing the right number of upgrade modules to the shipwright.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Section Z posted:

Wait seriously? Food doesn't stack anymore? :lol:

Well, NPCS can have it good. Some of the most dangerous NPCs I've faced were ones with 1 damage per shot uzis but able to fire them forever. Which only got worse once they made player shields of limited use.

Some food does, but most doesn't cause it spoils, and spoilage is tracked individually, so identical food items aren't actually identical.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Has anyone stuck with the unstable version and is able to answer this question: Is Sector X still a thing (the original end-game planned for Starbound) or has it been killed?

I'm not sure it ever was a real thing. When sectors were still in the game only like ... 4? were implemented.

It's not real now. Sectors were abolished a long time ago. I have played the whole 'plot' of the current Unstable nightlies.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Well the original idea for it was that it was some PvP sector run off a central server. Seeing as how something like that being around would have been obvious if you'd played through the game, then is the new endgame just "the end of the plot" or is there more to do afterwards that would keep you playing?

The endgame is the same as the midgame and early game. Pillage radically different but somehow extremely samey worlds for a resource you need. Maybe spend some time tweaking your ship or a colony if you want. There's no real reason to do the plot quests and no payoff.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I read most of this. If you can make your own fun, I'm sure you can find something fun to do in Starbound. But why not do it in a game with a better actual game underpinning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Zereth posted:

Does it still have most worlds be largely unrelated to the world type once you get far enough underground and thus not really matter where you go?

I'm not sure if underground biomes are weighted for planet types. I didn't see anything that would indicate that. Surface biomes are less consistent (in a good way) so that a forest planet won't be strictly 3 or 4 types of forest, you might find some other surface types in there, but I have no clue about underground.

• Locked thread