Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Some additional tips:

You can warp to your home planet no matter where you are, so until you start upgrading your ship's size it might be a good idea to use your home planet as a small base for stuff like farming, leaving more space on your ship for your crafting kit and storage lockers.

Pickaxes now cost 2 bars of the material they are made from and cannot be repaired or upgraded, but don't go hog wild with gold picks at first, copper ones work just fine and you'll stop making picks once you've upgraded the matter manipulator a few times.

Save 10 copper bars and 10 silver bars for the initial two upgrades for the MM, this increases range and gives you the ability to harvest liquids, a necessity for progression.

Core Fragments are located deep underground, they glow and are easily found once you've dug deep enough.

Mining camps on Lush worlds are a great way to get copper and iron ore without having to mine for it.

Coffee seeds can be bought at Terramart on the Outpost or found on Forest worlds.

Coal and wood are not fuel anymore, you need to either buy fuel from the gas station at the Outpost or suck up delicious moon goo once you've finished the Moonbase quest. Radioactive ores still count as fuel too, they are found on Radioactive planets.

Oil is found in tar biomes on Desert planets, and necessary for making steel, don't forget to collect some sand while you're there and make a glass mug, you'll need it.

Yes, you do need to make a bug net and collect a bug for progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Latest update just added an experimental 64bit build for OpenGL.

E: In 64bit the mobs on my already generated worlds have changed and one just dropped bandages. :stare:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 30, 2015

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Dunno if any of you knew this, but yanno how you can walk along a 4 block high tunnel but if it moves up or down a block without it being 5 high you either get stuck and have to dig yourself out, get killed, or knocked back?

Hold down s and rapidly tap a or d for the direction you want to move, you'll slowly climb up or down.

Example of Tinalbot v8 halfway up a 4 block tall 45* tunnel:

E: The door is locked though. :negative:

EE: I think this could be exploitable against humanoid-height mobs that can't do ranged damage but are normally beyond your ability to kill, just climb into a 4 block high incline and shoot them while they vainly attempt to eat your rusty innards.

3E: You can use this to bypass some of the rubble piles in the moon facility without needing the dash tech enabled.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 30, 2015

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Someone else found a rocketlauncher that does 329 damage per shot and can be shot twice before you run out of energy, or three times if you wait a moment between shots. It's oneshotting the creepy pink dudes and leaves the mutants at 1 bar so they die to one more hit from anything. So it must be randomish.

I haven't found one of those. The room in my screenshot a few posts back is completely inaccessible but there's a crate in there that I'm willing to bet has something awesome inside. The tunnel that leads into it from the top has a point that is 3 blocks high and the hold-s-down-and-rapidly-hit-a-or-d trick doesn't work. :smith:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Fargin Icehole posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: How the hell do you get out of the outpost? And why can't I talk to the Illegal goods merchant? The game treats it like it's not an object or vendor, or anything really.

There's a quest(s?) you have to complete for the penguin running around the Outpost before you can access that merchant, iirc.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Jusupov posted:

Can you use the dash or pulse jump to pass through the first boss' energy beams without taking damage?

No, you can't, a shield negates the damage if you're ideally located.

A few tips for the boss:

Grind up cooking recipes (cook all the things), as you get better foods you get things like hitpoint boosts, longer healing times, and energy regen amongst other effects (cactus juice makes you thorny). Once you've gotten a food item that adds hp and regens health bring it along and wait until you've gotten hit by the beams twice, then eat it and use a bandage, you should heal fast enough to survive another two hits, possibly more if you are quick with the bandages.

Explore your starting solar system, you might get lucky and find a planet or two with the deformed apex in cages, they drop stims which can also help make the boss easier to handle.

If you've died a bunch of times and are getting frustrated and just want it to be over, type /admin.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Heh, I died about 5 times to it before I realized I could heal myself mid-fight and ignore the beams. :downs:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Davoren posted:

Wow, Apex labs are really unfun now. I just found one with a tech chest behind a locked door, and some kind of reactor thing behind double locked doors. I went through the two obstacle courses available there multiple times, which was awful, and nothing else seemed to open up despite both branches having a pressure pad at the very end.

Edit: Googled the issue, and found a thread on the Starbound forums from folks who are also encountering this problem, and a classy post from a moderator:

Wow, that sucks, there should be a black tech card at the end of both for a total of 3 per lab.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Garbo posted:

Are there any decent "babies first starbound" guides out there? I feel like there are a bunch of systems that I either don't understand or don't know about

Not really, the ones you can probably find are outdated.

What are you having trouble with? Ask questions and people here will answer.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Is having the outpost merchants selling what appears to be every possible decorative block normal? That's a long as gently caress list and the lack of a search function makes finding things like eggs and milk in the list a tedious process, especially since you can't grab the scrollbar and move it.

E: It would appear that everything also shows up in my crafting tables.

BUG SPOTTED

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 30, 2015

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Bilal posted:

Do you have admin mode on? It enables all crafting recipes in all the different dialogue boxes.

I actually don't.

E: I enabled admin when doing the erchius mine quest because I am bad at platformers and got sick of dying not to the boss but to fall damage, then I turned it off. I can't teleport from indoors/underground, but every crafting recipe is enabled.

EE: Re-enabling and re-disabling admin mode fixed it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 30, 2015

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Section Z posted:

So, deleting and creating a new character today after about 10 minutes of busywork the other night (Now I actually have techs listed in my computer! So getting Tech cards will not be completely useless) still sends me to the same garden world. All the trees and coal right by the teleport in port are still gone :allears: (Guess that treasure chest with the axe in it is also gone forever).

I coulda sworn I got a message about using a stone hoe to plant seeds the other night but it was not a crafting option at the wooden table at the time either, reset was partly so I could make sure to read that blurb more closely. The lack of banana seeds in my Apex starting inventory is also a sign of dark times ahead for the resistance. Hopefully whenever I get to that outpost they have some for sale.

I'm just gonna leave this here, hopefully I was wrong when I made these predictions. Gonna poke at Vanilla gameplay first, and hope the following expectations were too cynical.

All this talk about "Enable admin mode" and the Mine boss being more Darksouls than actual Darksouls isn't helping the optimism. Though people working on cool mods again certainly is :unsmith:

EDIT: Will some magical coding genius work out how to Mod in a pause button, I wonder? Or torches providing light when you are placing them, not just after they are placed? (So sorry, you can't have a light source while trying to place a light source).

The mine boss isn't impossible without admin mode, it's just really hard, especially if you are like me and bad at video games. You definitely need at least double jump and the bubble that negates fall damage along with a healthy stock of bandages, red stims, and a good food item.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Babe Magnet posted:

Your universe is always the same once it's generated, no matter what character you're playing. You run into the problem of emptying your starting world out yeah, but you also get the benefit of letting your high level characters drop off materials for your low levels to help yourself power through the starter quests and get them going. If you want to reset everything, delete your universe files in the giraffe_storage folder in your Starbound directory. This won't effect your characters or their ships, but it will completely regen everything else next time you play.

This is why building isn't really as pointless and some people think, building a well-stocked base on the starter world filled with good stuff is almost easy mode for new characters.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Turtlicious posted:

I'm fixing the backwards walk as we speak (I think!) It'll either be done in 5 minutes, or like a few hours. (Or impossible!)

If you do this and we ever meet in person I will buy you a pint of beer. :toxx:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

TheSpookyDanger posted:

have you considered postin gud?

Have you?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Eonwe posted:

i sure havent

Me either, good posts don't actually exist.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Awesome! posted:

is this game good yet

It's subjectively egregious.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Anyone know where I go to find uranium? Is it on moons like Plutonium is or do I have to find a Radioactive planet?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dandywalken posted:

Seems to be radioactive planets.

Which are the Tropical biome ones, right?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dandywalken posted:

Nope, they're specifically specified in the description to be highly radioactive. They can be any biome it seems.

And what do I need to survive them? Red stims + bandages + food seems barely able to keep up with the damage ticks.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

XboxPants posted:

Pretty sure both asteroids & moons are completely barren and exist just for building, right now. The asteroid fields aren't gonna stay like that, but they decided to include them as-is rather than not include them at all.

There's "barren and lifeless" worlds which are also meant for construction.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Michaellaneous posted:

I am stuck jumping to a planet I need to jump to since it is the only desert planet. Tried save and quitting and jumping again. Same issues.

Also great that I am getting quests that I cannot finish yet since I am not far enough in the story but I cannot advance the story because I have not finished enough quests.

e: Sorry did I say story? I meant mandatory progression blockers.

e: loving :laffo:

Those are the two only quests available.

This is where I am in the main quest. Can you find the misstake?

How'd you unlock the Lunar base mission without making a spoon?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Section Z posted:

Has anybody run into trees that drop plant fiber instead of wood in the latest update, on that note? Those were another "Oh god this is AMAZING!" thing from old stable for being able to plant and harvest that much at once. Diamond Drill became my stand in for a chainsaw back then.

I did, in my starting system on one of the Forest planets.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
E: Wow, wrong page.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Babe Magnet posted:

e: this is the glowing ores mod everyone is talking about right

I think so, at least it's the one I use anyways.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

quote:

- This means that you cannot sit in chairs, flip switches, or use crafting stations through walls.

I know it was kinda cheaty, but I made use of this "bug" a lot and am mildly upset it's gone now.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I like that I can now lock the teleporter room on my ship with a switch right outside.

But then people just break down the door.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

If they are party poopers, yeah.

And you're not?

I'd like chucklefish to either implement a way to protect areas by letting you build those generators seen in dungeons or ship protection against anyone but the ship's owner, then you could have some real fun with that bugfix.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

StringOfLetters posted:

I filled my Fishman space ship mostly with water (you have to put background tiles over the windows&doors or else it leaks out) and have reached kind of a stumbling point. Is there a way to design a water-lock in two dimensions with no pumps? (E.g. to cycle through and enter the flooded aft compartments without leaking) There are doors, liquid sensors, and gravity to work with.

I've seen it mentioned on the forums that people have successfully done it, but I have no idea how. It's possible, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
SoonTM

• Locked thread