Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I've never seen any official (or unofficial) answer before, but is there a difference between the normal and OpenGL launchers? Not sure which one I should be using so I'm just using the normal one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Trying to find the 3rd tier ship upgrade quest items (avian moon, glitch codex) without just googling coords is proving to be really loving tedious. I'm not sure if there is a pattern or any reliable way to 'legitimately' discover the proper ruins besides speed grinding planets.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

I broke and decided to try to google some coordinates for some of these annoying quest items for ship expansion. None worked and so I headed to the official forum thread to share coordinates and that poo poo didn't work either. Somehow universe generation varies depending on operating system and OS version, which almost makes the coordniate system entirely loving useless. Even the few I found for Win 8.1 64-bit didn't seem to contain what was advertised by the poster.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Tiy's thoughts on the paid mod situation valve and bethesda have unleashed:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/33x06s/question_to_the_devs_are_modders_for_starbound/

Not for nothing, but maybe he should finish his goddamn game before considering how people could sell mods for an early access game. He also posted some nonsense about possibly doing a kickstarter for a mod competition where the money goes to the winner. Basically he'll do anything not to have to go back and try to figure out how to fix Starbound.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Kly posted:

in 3 years starbound is still struggling with how they want movement and combat to work

Starbound's combat may be a work in progress, but I find it to be miles better than Terraria. This 1.3 patch reminding me how awful the combat is, and always was the biggest weakness to me. Starbound's building tools are also better, but that's about all I can think of that's improved.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

This actually looks pretty good, I like the new backgrounds. The game looks a lot better at dusk/night, I'm not a huge fan of the palette in general but I really like how muted it gets in lower light levels.

I like the atmosphere, and the fact that it's not overlit. I always wished I could have a dimmer switch (and a color picker) on my lights in Terraria to stop from turning everything into a flood light.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

I see a new stable patch is not far off. Sadly for them I learned my lesson last time I was mildly interested in new patches. The progression is just hollow and meaningless, and as a result the game feels empty and joyless. New star systems, skim the surface for ore, make some armor and fight some boss. I'd like to say I was being reductive, but that's about it. The randomized quests or whatever were all either ridiculously simple (catch a single bug) or a total crapshoot (like finding X type of ruins randomly on a planet). And I'm still pissed the most fundamental exploration tool is not in the game to my knowledge; a loving on-planet map.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

I tried to play this again, and as soon as you get to the Outpost the game is just over. It lacks the tools or the motivation to make you do anything but the shallowest of 'once arounds' of a planet and leave. How many more years of beta before they add a loving planet map and teleporter upgrade so spelunking does't feel like a punishment? Nevermind that every tier of content is just a rinse and repeat of the previous one with slightly different ore sprites. I could maybe have tried to slog through to see how the colony stuff is now, but combat has returned to being a flailing mess that only further highlights how bad the movement is. Even the 2handed sword I got seems to realize how bad it is with it's special attack of 'swing wildly and hope to hit something'.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

hahaha, Tiy just tweeted a 'mini update' showing the smelter now doing one bar at a time instead of batch smelting. Because that's the only insane thing left for them to do; start rolling back quality of life improvements.

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/676818870540353536

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

uhhhhh the hunger mechanic is back in the latest nightly

if I wasn't on this mountain (lmao 20 kb/s download speed) I could download the nightly and confirm myself but holy poo poo

I actually hoped they would reintroduce the survival features... but as optional modes on character creation. Maybe they're just testing them (I hope).

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Still seems to be zero evidence they will ever get their heads out of their asses and finally add planet maps the way Terraria did a long time ago. A loving exploration game without maps is just a total dealbreaker (among the other terrible things chucklefucks have done).

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

It's too bad there is no tally for hours spent in this thread, as I am sure most of us would have more time here than in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

I'm still weirdly looking forward to seeing how 1.0 pans out. Some of the dumber things I didn't like sound like they are going away, like single-biome planets and the weird tier system.

I should probably get checked for a concussion.

• Locked thread