Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I'm thinking i'll source a second engine to use and abuse as I please while the original engine stays safe and sound in storage until I come to sell the car. I know a guy with a 998cc engine, but depending whether or not he'll throw in the manifolds/ ancillaries is kinda a dealbreaker, as the 875cc stuff won't fit on it and sourcing those is turning out to be a nightmare.

Is there some motorbike engine that you can bolt in there? Or maybe one of these little turbo engines like the VW TSI or Ford EcoBoost?

A 150bhp Imp would be terrifying. But in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

... I need to do a compression test.

If possible do a cylinder leakage test too. Often an engine will show good compression but will have excessing cylinder leakage where the rings or cylinders are worn, can cause excessive blowby and oil consumption.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I've been meaning to nag the boss into getting one of those for a while now, really good bits of kit if you know what you're doing with them. Though I still have access to the kit they have at college so I may be able to test it there for learning reasons.

Worth having. They show a lot more than compression tests do. I have a valve in my toolbox from a 3-cylinder Polo that had rough running. Everything checked fine, compression was ok, valve has holes burned through it. cylinder leakage showed what nothing else could.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

How did it have any compression at all with a holed valve? :psyduck:

No idea. And not just one hole and not just one valve!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Managed to do the compression test and leakage test.

Sorry for the state of the video my new phone seems to like recording really narrow tall videos for whatever reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMXFZB2a6nA
:confuoot:
The wonderful sound of excessive blowby...

Cylinders one, two and four all had compression at around 65psi.
Cylinder 3 had 90psi compression.

The compression should be 185-200psi at a 10:1 ratio (at least the manual says so, seems pretty high to me but it says it was unusually high for the time) so I don't know what the gently caress to think right now. It starts and runs well but how could the compression be that bad?

Either way, that engine is coming apart soon. At least to see what kind of weird magic is going on in there to keep it alive.

Rings/bores i would guess.

Did you check leakage with the piston and the top and bottom of the cylinder? Usually you find there's more wear at the top of the bore and that shows on the leakage test. If you're down on compression but leakage is identical top to bottom it may be just the rings.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I couldn't stop it turning over when plugging the air-line in, even in gear with the handbrake on. I'd have to lock the crankshaft somehow and there isn't any access to the flywheel to lock it there. :gonk:
I figured that the air pissing out of the dipstick tube said enough to bother doing any of the other cylinders after that, also the tester wouldn't fit in any of the other spark plug holes due to the limited space in the engine bay.
Either way it's all gonna have to come apart, I'm expecting the worst.

You'll just need to have it mic'd and see if you've got worn or ovalled bores. Often you can get away with just a hone and a set of rings, which isn't a huge deal.

Also, your handbrake must be even more useless than mine if it can't even stop the engine turning over, under air pressure.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Maybe a higher gear would have been better...

But yeah, either way it'll need a both the head and block skimmed (they have a habit of warping) so i'll be sending them to the engineer and it'd be daft not to get the bores honed at the same time. New rings should be pretty readily available through the Imp Club too.

Not too big of a job but I'll want to do a full strip-down and rebuild of the engine once it's apart.

Have the block deck checked with a straight edge for warpage before skimming it, as they tend not to warp quite as much as heads. And once torqued up they often pull straight with no issues. I have a great engine shop near me (North London) where if i call in advance they skim heads for me while i wait. Place looks like a bunch of big sheds, but they're awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Carried over to the bench because it's stupidly lightweight. PLEASE NOTE: BOX LABELED 'TURBO' IS NOT RELATED TO THIS PROJECT

(Still more to come)

Well that's a cute little sewing machine.

Valve pics as promised:

• Locked thread