Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Can anyone hook a brother up with advice for San Francisco? I have a week at a conference around Union Square (in the Hilton) coming up, and lack of mobility is a factor. Good places in Downtown, Chinatown, Tenderloin and nearby areas welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

There's a big price range around downtown. If you're going to spend a bunch on a meal I've only had amazing meals at Boulevard. For more middle price range, Belden Alley has a variety of nice places with french style outside seating.
Great Eastern Restaurant is the best Dim-Sum I've had in Chinatown, but someone may know of better ones.

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
I don't suppose anyone knows much about the Charlotte, NC area.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Failed Nihilist posted:

I'm actually wondering the same thing, I'm there right now. I did have a pretty great lunch at Ikea though. But I don't think that counts, unless you're like me and like to hang out at Ikea.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Failed Nihilist posted:

I travel to Charlotte a few times a year, and like Cowbell Burger and Whiskey bar downtown. It's a bit gimmicky and trendy, but a good burger and a Manhattan is pretty safe combo when traveling.

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm actually wondering the same thing, I'm there right now. I did have a pretty great lunch at Ikea though. But I don't think that counts, unless you're like me and like to hang out at Ikea.

Do to my proximity to it, I'll assume that you're also an UNCC student?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Failed Nihilist posted:

Do to my proximity to it, I'll assume that you're also an UNCC student?

Nope, visiting my sister. I hail from the land of the OTHER 1995 NFL expansion team.

We don't have an Ikea in Jacksonville.

pepper bologna
Dec 31, 2005
A man among mushrooms
I have lived in various parts of the Charlotte metro for the last 5-6 years - any particular style of food you are interested in trying? I can list a few options once I have an idea as to your interests...

Gangerous
Feb 4, 2008
John Denver is King

someusername posted:

Utica NY (315 upstate). We used to be known for decent Italian food. Tommy Lasorda gave high praises because he's a fat gently caress. Population was huge 100 years ago, Italian/Polish/Irish.

Now it's a refugee city with tons of eastern Europeans, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Ethiopians, etc. A lot of refugees got grants to start businesses, so we can eat pretty drat good cheap. I under-represent the Asian places here probably because they're always switching up and moving, but they're my favorite to discover blindly.

O'Scugnizzos Pizza. Sauce on top. Incredible dough. 100+ years there same family . Sausage is a must, long-hots if you're into that too. You can get it fully loaded and it's like eating deep dish with a thin crispy crust. I don't like their "special", I think they add raw garlic to the sauce. But you can't go wrong with any other toppings. Best of both worlds. A+++

Anything from Pulaski Meat Market. It's in the ghetto, and only locals seem to know it's existence. I don't think they advertise. They absolutely have the best smoked/cured stuff I've found upstate. The kielbasa is the most amazing, and they have a garlic kielbasa too and a dozen other sausages I can't name. The 10 or so different variety of pierogi are all baller. There's a bacon wrapped pork loin that they smoke I'm addicted to. It's got the best aspects of ham and roast pork at the same time.

Utica Greens, at any italian dining establishment, everyone has their favorite. For my money the bowling alley in Frankfort has the best... Nobody uses the same recipe, but it's escarole sauteed in chicken stock with garlic, long hots, prosciutto or Guanciale, more garlic, cherry peppers if you like it hot. Some throw breadcrumbs on at the end and broil a few seconds. Some melt mozz. Some do parm. It's a competitive thing that keeps everyone on their toes.

Giambotta, which may be completely bastardized from some real Italian dish. It's like a ... deep dish fritatta full of sausage and greens and potatoes I guess. Fry the poo poo out of some breakfast stuff, dump a bunch of beaten egg on it, feed it to drunks. Some serve it firm, some runny, IDFK what is more authentic because it's just a crazy bastard drunk dish.

Mushroom stew: More love from our native pollock population. Pork sausage, peppers and all kinds of mushrooms (usually a variety of dried) in spicy tomato broth. Best eaten from any hole in the wall pizzeria. Little Roma is v good.

Lebanese : Zeina's on Varick St. There isn't anything non-extraordinary there, and the owners are friendly and love talking about anything. They deserve to be doing 100 tables a day, but it's a poo poo town. They're on THE bar street where all the night action is, but usually only open for lunch. Maybe dinner on weekends.

There's also MORE great Lebanese in the shopping center, the owner ran the Gyro cart outside Home Depot for 20+ years before starting a real restaurant with his wife. The kibbeh tartare dish (i forget the name) is amazeballs, and I always bring some home to fry with breakfast. Owned by the coolest hardest working people around.

Japanese: Geisha 2 on Bank Place. gently caress the drat hibachi joints. This place was doing authentic japanese 25 years ago when it wasn't trendy. Shirt & tie kinda joint.

Tex Mex : Rio Grande baby. The carnitas are proper confit chunks for my oral pleasure, not shredded/broiled orange juice sillyness. Killer big wet burritos, also complimentary 3 kinds of salsa and endless fresh chips avail. Owner is awesome. Negro Modela goes with every dish.

Pho Mekong is boss for soup, but you have to go down the street to little vietnam to find a Bahn Mi. That's hit or miss, but we have killer grocery stores.

Italian Pastry - Cafe Florentine for old school, Cafe Canole in the burbs for top notch new stuff.

I've lived in bigger cities with nothing but chain restaurants and traditional diners, so I can't hate my lovely city too much.

This is an awesome write up! I work in Utica/Yorkville semi regularly and I haven't been able to pin down good places to eat.

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015

pepper bologna posted:

I have lived in various parts of the Charlotte metro for the last 5-6 years - any particular style of food you are interested in trying? I can list a few options once I have an idea as to your interests...

I like variety, more than anything else. This for me usually means ethnic stuff, Indian, Mongolian, etc (I like spicy). If I can avoid burgers and poo poo like that, all the better. I'm in university city currently, and all I see are chains.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pepper bologna posted:

Gosh, I love it all really. I think I want noodles within the next 24 hours though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

Might as well have a general grab bag thread for all the miscellany cities that aren't quite culinary destinations.

This week I'm in Salt Lake City in the downtown area next to the Salt Palace convention center. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance and they're dare I say somewhat modern looking, and there are plenty of wine bars around here as well because I guess they're desperately trying to convince everyone that people drink here. Anyone got recommendations?
I don't come to this forum very often and I'm sorry I missed this. SLC native, lived here my whole life. Like others said, Copper Onion is very good. It's my go-to "nice" restaurant. Nobody I've ever taken there has been disappointed and they have a decent wine list that changes up all the time. Other places in SLC:

Pallet: Similar to CO but smaller.

The New Yorker/Market Street: NY is a steakhouse. Market Street Grill/Oyster Bar is owned by the same company and they have several locations around the valley. If you want good fish or seafood that's not from a chain go here. They get fish flown in daily so it's always fresh and prices are very reasonable.

Happy Sumo: Sushi.

The Aerie: Located at Snowbird ski resort and open year 'round. Eating on a mountainside with a gorgeous view is not a bad way to spend an evening.

Red Iguana: The place for authentic Mexican food. People will stand outside in a snowstorm for 2 hours just to get in. So popular they build a 2nd location a block away that's also always filled to capacity. Apparently Bill Clinton is a big fan. There's nothing special about the ambiance so order takeout from the second location and take it back to your room.

Ruth's Diner: Up Emigration canyon, sit on the patio when it's open. If you go for breakfast make sure to get one of their biscuits - made by hand and approximately 4" thick with homemade raspberry jam.

Blue Plate Diner: All American diner food. They have a daily dinner special that's all you can eat and the coffee is magnificent since it's owned by the same guy as the coffee shop next door.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Wichita, KS

Meddy's: New local place that make amazing Schwarma and Hummus.

Wichita Brewing Company: Amazing selection of pizza and sandwiches all made in a wood fired oven. They also have some of the best beer I've ever had, even an English ale on a cask!

River City Brewery: The food here is pretty good but it's also nothing special. The draw would obviously be their huge selection of beer brewed in house.

Brickyard/Publics: Be wary of this place on the weeknights, hipsters tend to congregate while wearing suits and drinking all the PBR. A small restaurant in the middle of old town in the basement of an old brick building. The pizza is pretty good and they have a decent selection of beer on tap, atmosphere is very cool.

MM Bierocks: A small doobie-like shack with a drive through window. Only three items on the menu, Bierocks, Bierocks with cheese and ham and cheese Bierocks. They only accept cash for their Russian inspired, German made, meat filled pastries.

Emperors Grill: A local Japanese grill with two locations. I don't know how they've managed to make fried rice so good, I assume with some sort of deadly toxins. Usually packed full of white suburban high school kids.

Rene's: Goes to show that the best food comes from the places where the people talk poo poo about you in another language and you assume you will get food poisoning. Open 24 hours a day with the best nachos and carne asada burritos in the world.

Metro Grills: Not sure how to describe this place. Their food is really good but it's not in the right location and it's not setup like the restaurant it's trying to be. It's some sort of Cuban/New York mix, if that's even a thing. The owner chose to tell me his wife is divorcing him because of how bad the restaurant is doing, I really just wanted to pay and leave but that's ok I guess. So if you ever drive through and this place is still open it's really worth a visit.

Dempsey's Burger Pub: Is a ten dollar kobe burger worth it? gently caress you for even asking. This places using almost all local ingredients for their burgers. The cheapest burger is probably six or seven dollars but they are big and perhaps the best burgers I've ever had in my life. The truffle fries are pretty drat good too.

There are some other places, particularly a few Thai restaurants, that I've heard are very good. I haven't had their food yet though.

Manhattan, KS

Celtic Star: What's better than English food? Well other than shepherds pie and fish and chips, everything. Luckily those are the only two truly English foods offered. A very cool Irish themed restaurant with great food and a good selection of beer on tap. They even have Strongbow on tap!

Taco Lucha: They have tacos and burritos. They are good. Recommended to eat their biggest burrito in order to cure your hangovers.

Pizza Shuttle Very nasty, greasy and cheap pizza. Great for the college it supplies and the heartburn it gives.

So Long Saloon: A west-mex themed place. Very good burgers, beans and everything else. Local beers on tap.

Mr. K's Café I worked here in the kitchen for awhile. You idiots are paying for frozen chicken and old lunch meat. Go away. I once accidentally mixed a bunch of the cheese we used for the mac and cheese with the tub of gravy they kept in the back to use only on Sundays. I think someone used that gravy/cheese mixture at least twice before making new gravy.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

pepper bologna posted:

Post it all! I've lived in Charlotte for the past year and a half but haven't found many places I like.

I was really impressed by The Block and Grinder and there's a lot of cool Mexican/Central American places on Central Avenue, but most restaurants I've tried were pretty lackluster.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Does anybody have any recommendations for Lisbon, Portugal? The only concrete thing I've come up with is one of the Seriouseats editors writing an article about how butthurt he was that he got served pata negra ham, olives, bread and oil and *gasp* had to pay €6 for it

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I'm hoping for some suggestions for Detroit and Ann Arbor (besides Zingerman's), especially hole-in-the-wall spots.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There is an awesome Thai place that used to be a Long John Silver's. I think it was Tuptim Thai. Not fine dining but very good. Jolly Pumpkin Pizzeria & Brewery is great. Kuhnhenn is worth stopping by for the beers but they don't serve food.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Wheats posted:

I'm hoping for some suggestions for Detroit and Ann Arbor (besides Zingerman's), especially hole-in-the-wall spots.

Bates Hamburgers(bring cash), Slow's BBQ, Lile's Sandwich Shop (mmm ham, also cash)

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll check some of them out.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Wheats posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll check some of them out.

Lile's is in dearborn, so if you are touristing and do the Ford Rouge River factory tour, it's nearby.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold
Anybody know of anything good in Central/Southern Kentucky? Headed down there soon to Mammoth Cave and also probably to visit some distilleries.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wheats posted:

Ann Arbor: Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burgers.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

min posted:

Good sushi does not exist in Jacksonville as far as I can tell. After trying what must be nearly a dozen places people assured me were good (they were not), I've pretty much given up. The closest I've found good sushi is Kappo at the East End Market in Orlando.

Non sushi places to eat:

Chomp Chomp - close to Burrito Gallery, looks terrible, food is great. The specials can be amazing.
Orsay - Avondale. French food, everything I've had has been good, moderately expensive.
Black Sheep - 5 points. "new american" same owner as Orsay, very good food. Again, moderately expensive (but not as much as Orsay typically)
Hawkers - 5 points. asian food. Very large variety of dishes, overall decent but nothing that will blow your mind. Worth trying for sure.
M Shack - several locations. Pretty decent burgers, I like them but feel they are kind of overrated. Still worth trying.
Hon Korean - near Beach and Emerson. ....Korean food. This place is awesome. It is a tiny place staffed by 2 people (I'm pretty sure). Everything I've had has been great. Their chicken wings are incredible. Huge korean/asian market next door to check out too.
Taverna - San Marco. Italian inspired food I guess? I've only been here a couple of times but thought it was pretty good. Same price range as Black Sheep, moderately expensive.
Mr Taco - Bowden rd. Tacos. Get the chorizo, it's awesome.
Knead: A Bake shop - Murray Hill. Really good sandwiches and pastries. Monthly specials. Duck Confit sandwich with caramelized onion jam and pickled green tomato is amazing.
Corner Taco - 5 points. Tacos. Not as traditional as Mr Taco, but pretty good.
Whiteway Deli - Riverside. Good sandwiches. Not gourmet stuff but very nice owners and lots of variety.
Pinegrove Deli - Avondale. This place is a butcher/deli, they dry age their own beef. Very good burgers and sandwiches.
V Pizza - San Marco. I think they have pizza. Fairly solid. The plus side is it is attached to Sidecar and walking distance from Aardwolf brewery, so you can get great beer and cocktails then go eat pizza without ever moving your car.

TacoLu sucks. Go to Mr Taco/Corner taco instead. That's all I can think of/feel like typing up right now. If you have any questions I may be able to answer them.

Just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd add to these. I don't live in Jacksonville, but I go there a lot for work.

Maple Street Biscuit Company - Some of the best biscuit sandwiches I've ever had. The cinnamon pecan iced biscuits are also delicious.
Jaxon Social - Pretty awesome modern food. They come up with some awesome off menu stuff regularly too.
13 Gypsies - Good tapas style food
Bold Bean - Coffee roaster that also has local beer. They have some good food for sale here and there too.
Lola's Burrito Joint - Way better burritos than Burrito Gallery, seconding Mr. Taco for tacos.
Blue Boy Sandwich Shop - Awesome and huge sandwiches with really really good bread.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Not so much "where to eat" but "where to buy".

I just moved to Austin (north side by Cedar Park). Almost all the grocery stores are HEB. Any help from localish goons on butcher shops in the area?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A few people have posted about it already, but are there any other Philadelphia goons in here? My fiancee and I just moved to Old City from out-of-state and I'm looking for recommendations in that neighborhood or within walking distance of it (so like City Center, NoLibs or Society Hill/Queen Village). Half the places we walk by invoke a "holy poo poo we have to come back here" so we're having trouble prioritizing :shobon:

Wheats posted:

For Ann Arbor I'll +1 the guy that said Blimpie Burger. There used to be an amazing sushi place called Sushi.com (.come?) just off of State Street by Central Campus but they apparently changed their name and I'm not sure if it's still the same crew running it, I grew up in Ann Arbor but now only get back a few times a year and I haven't been there in a year or two. Off the top of my head there's also Frita Baditos, an amazing Cuban restaurant on Washington between Main and Ashley streets. If you don't mind college students South University St. has some pretty respectable food, and at Hill and State streets you have Big Ten Burrito (an Ann Arbor classic) and Pizza Bob's, which has fantastic milkshakes.

If you like beer it's a pretty good town too, I always go out and drink with my parents when I'm home. Our favorite haunts are Bill's Beer Garden (Liberty & Ashley), Arbor Brewing Company (on Washington just east of Main St.) and Wolverine State Brewing Company (on Stadium Drive, a little remote from the rest of these but drat good for a little local operation)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 29, 2015

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I will second Arbor Brewing. Can never go wrong with them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
How do you not recommend Ashley's for beer? Definitely the best beer bar in the area. If you like Jolly Pumpkin beers, Jolly Pumpkin is also amazing and their food is ridiculous.

Also Big Ten burrito opened in 2004 so I'm not sure I'd call it a classic. It's also a real bummer that burritos are no longer $5 tax included like when I went to school there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

rockcity posted:

How do you not recommend Ashley's for beer? Definitely the best beer bar in the area. If you like Jolly Pumpkin beers, Jolly Pumpkin is also amazing and their food is ridiculous.

Also Big Ten burrito opened in 2004 so I'm not sure I'd call it a classic. It's also a real bummer that burritos are no longer $5 tax included like when I went to school there.

Oh crap you're right about Ashley's, sorry. Also I mostly know BTB because people I knew in high school wouldn't shut up about that place (but it's still good)

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Wheats posted:

Big Ten Burrito for Ann Arbor. Red Coat Tavern for burgers in Detroit.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

indoflaven posted:

Big Ten Burrito for Ann Arbor. Red Coat Tavern for burgers in Detroit.

Red Coat is good but it got way overhyped to me. Michael Symon's B-Spot in Royal Oak and Rochester are pretty awesome. Burgers aren't huge and they're pricey, but they're delicious.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

C-Euro posted:

A few people have posted about it already, but are there any other Philadelphia goons in here? My fiancee and I just moved to Old City from out-of-state and I'm looking for recommendations in that neighborhood or within walking distance of it (so like City Center, NoLibs or Society Hill/Queen Village). Half the places we walk by invoke a "holy poo poo we have to come back here" so we're having trouble prioritizing :shobon:

You have two of the best places in the city near you in Old City in Fork and Zahav. Zahav is a Michael Solomonov place and is really good Israeli/Middle Eastern food. Try and reserve the whole lamb shoulder if you can. He also has a new place in Center City called Abe Fisher which is supposed to be food from the Jewish diaspora. In my opinion Vernick is probably the best restaurant in the city and is in Center City around 20th and Walnut. Definitely get there if you can. You're not to far from Chinatown and the Reading Terminal Market either for more casual stuff.

I didn't want to make like a wall of text so this was kind of basic but if you want to know anything more let me know and I'd be glad to try and help you out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jota posted:

You have two of the best places in the city near you in Old City in Fork and Zahav. Zahav is a Michael Solomonov place and is really good Israeli/Middle Eastern food. Try and reserve the whole lamb shoulder if you can. He also has a new place in Center City called Abe Fisher which is supposed to be food from the Jewish diaspora. In my opinion Vernick is probably the best restaurant in the city and is in Center City around 20th and Walnut. Definitely get there if you can. You're not to far from Chinatown and the Reading Terminal Market either for more casual stuff.

I didn't want to make like a wall of text so this was kind of basic but if you want to know anything more let me know and I'd be glad to try and help you out.

Thanks! We're planning on being here for a while so if you've got the wisdom then lay it on me.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
This is quite an American thread, would anybody be interested in a write up of the Birmingham UK which over the last three years has has turned into one of the most exciting culinary cities in the UK?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

StoneOfShame posted:

This is quite an American thread, would anybody be interested in a write up of the Birmingham UK which over the last three years has has turned into one of the most exciting culinary cities in the UK?

I once went to a vegetarian restaurant in Brum and it was incredible. Can't remember what it was called but I heard they shut down. All I remember is that it was upstairs somewhere in a nondescript building and we had a hard time finding it. Food was soooooo good.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
Some people were asking about Charlotte, so:

Yama Izakaya - Plaza Midwood - go at an off-time to avoid the massive waves of gross hipsters. Food (especially the noodles) are on point.
Fig Tree - Elizabeth - pricey; worth it. Best restaurant for a special occasion. Homey, seasonal menus, interesting proteins.
Le's Sandwiches and Cafe - Sketchy Plaza on North Tryon - best banh mi in town by far. Delicious, inexpensive, and generous.
Sir Edmund Halley's - Myers Park - gussied-up pub fare made fresh and in-house, some inventive entrees, reasonable prices, full menu until 2 AM. Great patio.
Hawthorne's Pizza - Elizabeth - it's a pizza place. It's really good.
Good Food on Montford - Myers Park - full menu of small plates. Great place to bring a date or to meet a group of friends for a snack and a drink.
Riverview Raw Bar - as close to Gaston County as you can get without crossing the bridge - no frills raw bar and "fish camp" type of place. Consistent.

There are a whole bunch more. I've been here for about ten years and I like to go out to eat soooo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

the heebie-gbs posted:

Sir Edmund Halley's - Myers Park - gussied-up pub fare made fresh and in-house, some inventive entrees, reasonable prices, full menu until 2 AM. Great patio.

Was just there, it's the best basement I've ever accidentally wandered into. Seriously, it's tucked back a bit in the plaza, can take a bit of finding. There is also a fantastic hardware store in the plaza.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

canoshiz posted:

Any recommendations for Saratoga Springs, NY? I'm stuck up there quite often for work...

I've been on the west coast for several years now, but I lived in the capital region for most of my life.

Ravenous has really good crepes, Mrs. London's on Broadway is a good bakery/cafe, Karavalli for Indian. Really you can explore the square bordered by Broadway/Lake/Henry/Spring and the side streets between it, and you'll find a lot of good places. Phila St. and Caroline St. have some of the best.

There was a really good dinner place called Dine on Henry St. but I think I heard it closed down some time after I moved out of the area.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

the heebie-gbs posted:

Some people were asking about Charlotte, so:

Yama Izakaya - Plaza Midwood - go at an off-time to avoid the massive waves of gross hipsters. Food (especially the noodles) are on point.
Fig Tree - Elizabeth - pricey; worth it. Best restaurant for a special occasion. Homey, seasonal menus, interesting proteins.
Le's Sandwiches and Cafe - Sketchy Plaza on North Tryon - best banh mi in town by far. Delicious, inexpensive, and generous.
Hawthorne's Pizza - Elizabeth - it's a pizza place. It's really good.
Good Food on Montford - Myers Park - full menu of small plates. Great place to bring a date or to meet a group of friends for a snack and a drink.
Riverview Raw Bar - as close to Gaston County as you can get without crossing the bridge - no frills raw bar and "fish camp" type of place. Consistent.

There are a whole bunch more. I've been here for about ten years and I like to go out to eat soooo

Don't forget Lang Van- its not in the best part of town but if you want good Vietnamese here in Charlotte, it's the place to be. If you can't find something you want on the menu, just ask the little old lady what's good, she'll hook you up.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Just a quickie - anyone know of good places in berlin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

A jargogle posted:

Just a quickie - anyone know of good places in berlin?

Datscha does an awesome Russian brunch.