Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

SubponticatePoster posted:

Need a rec for a good steakhouse in the Kansas City area. It’s my dad’s 80th birthday and we want to take him somewhere nice. If it was up to his wife they’d have the buffet at Golden Corral

Like to keep it under $75 per person (nobody is a big drinker so wine isn’t important) since I’ll be picking up the whole tab. Also someplace accessible, the ol’ man can’t do flights of stairs.

Not strictly a steakhouse, but The Rieger is glorious, suitably old-school classy, and always has some divine steak on the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'll look into 'em, thanks!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Gonna try here and in the Japanese cooking thread:

We are going to Japan in 2 weeks and I would like to try Kaiseki in Kyoto. This seems a very expensive idea, judging from what I find on Google. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant where we would get away with 100$ per person or less? I just don't feel comfortable spending more on something I don't know whether we will enjoy it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I’m going on my honeymoon to Seattle on Monday and would love to have some good recommendations before I hop on the train.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I’m going on my honeymoon to Seattle on Monday and would love to have some good recommendations before I hop on the train.

Seattle is my favorite city I’ve ever visited, even more than NYC, because I could actually see myself living there. I immediately felt at home there, like I belonged. My wife felt similarly. It has so much culture, progressive politics, Asian influence, arts, entertainment, great food, and proximity to some of the most stunning natural beauty I've ever seen -- ocean, mountains, green spaces, you name it. I wish we could both find decent jobs to maintain our standard of living there, but the odds are strongly against that.

Here are some recommendations of things to do, places to go, and stuff to eat. Please keep in mind I was last there in 2013, though.

The Space Needle is super-touristy, but totally worth it:
https://www.spaceneedle.com/home/

Right near the Space Needle and the Dale Chihuly Museum (glass artist) is another awesome museum, the Museum of Pop Culture, which I really did love:
http://www.mopop.org/

The Seattle Aquarium is worth a visit too, especially for the otters:
http://www.seattleaquarium.org/

If you have time, you should consider taking the Seattle Underground Tour, which is very very cool. The entire city used to be built in what is now underground, and then it was destroyed and rebuilt higher up, where it is now. There are old tunnels and ruins underneath the city that you can explore carefully, and the sidewalks have colored glass shards in them that let light in below. How awesome is that?
http://www.undergroundtour.com/

I had one of the best meals of my life at Toulouse Petit in the Queen Anne District:
http://toulousepetit.com/
(It's not the cheapest normally, but if you time it right for happy hour, the happy hour menu is an outrageous value!)

And a very different awesome meal at the super-awesome 5-Point Café, a dive bar with great food:
http://the5pointcafe.com/
(I had to leave the South to get the best chicken and waffles I’ve ever had in the Pacific Northwest!)

Of course Pike Place Market is the greatest food destination I've ever been to. I wish Orlando had something similar, but nothing we have comes close. You really could spend a whole day just exploring and eating there, and that's where you'll find the original Starbucks too. It is tiny, so there's a much larger, modern Starbucks across the street that people actually order drinks and hang out at, after taking photos at the original.

Try to stop by Piroshky Piroshky for sweet and savory Russian baked goods, Uli’s Famous Sausage, and my favorite, DeLaurenti Italian Market, where you can get cured meats from Salumeria, founded by Mario Batali’s father. Of course, you'll also find tons of fresh, cured, and smoked salmon and other delicious seafood at the Market, including the fish-throwing guys.
http://pikeplacemarket.org/
https://piroshkybakery.com/
https://ulisfamoussausage.com/#home-2
http://www.delaurenti.com/
(There's even a comic book store in the lower levels of the market!)

Have a wonderful honeymoon. I hope you're both very happy, but I know you'll be happy in Seattle.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Where should I go for a Friday night dinner in Savannah and breakfast the next day?

We'll be staying by Franklin Square, and willing to walk once parked at the hotel

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm going to atlanta (there may be an atlanta thread, and I'm sorry if I missed it) early next year for work. I'll be in "tech square/midtown." If you were dining on someone else's dime, is there a place there I should ask to be taken?

If you were spending your own money, is there a place i could ride a bus to eat at?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Where should I go for a Friday night dinner in Savannah and breakfast the next day?

We'll be staying by Franklin Square, and willing to walk once parked at the hotel

I liked Broughton Common well enough for breakfast/brunch, not sure about dinner though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
:australia:
I'm heading to Brisbane next week for a conference. Most things are happening at the main convention centre, a couple of things at the museum nearby, and my hotel is just east across the river in the CBD. Any suggestions? Budget is "modest" but if there's something really special I could scout it out for the mini-vacation visit my wife and I will have together in Brissie in February.

For context, we're Canadian and we've been living in Armidale, NSW, for about a year. Even painfully Aussie outings are still great fun. I'll eat nearly anything, but I'm especially interested in seafood and good places for local beer. I have heard that beer is generally cheaper in Queensland than NSW, and I'm really hoping that's true because it's goddam expensive here.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have recs for Colorado Springs? Gonna be there for Christmas, wondering if there's anything worthwhile around.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Hi,
My companion and I are going to SF soon, second visit, and we are major foodies who enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part.

Commonly, we actively walk around the city the whole day and go for a nice (fine-)dining experience in the evening.

We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home (Belgium) or that are world-known to be superb or top the lists. We prefer 1.5-2hour+ meals that allow us to discover the restaurants style. For instance, we often go for tasting menus with beverage pairing.

In a previous visit to London in 2016, for example, we had a world-famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge, it was fabulous) and in the evening enjoyed a Michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find here, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. It was a great experience to do multiple diverse fine dining restaurants over several days and get to enjoy cuisines and styles we don't have back home. Our best experiences so far were the wild playground of Barcelona (Tickets, Disfrutar, ... ), the world-class foreign options in London (Gymkhana, A. Wong, ...), the exquisite local cuisine of Rome (La Pergola, offal cuisine in Checchino Dal 1887), or the diversity in Berlin (with Coda, a dessert-bar, and a vegan Michelin restaurant)… . Does not need to be expensive, just something that allows for a good long dining experience that offers something new.

So, in short, we enjoy unique/known/fun/exotic/fusion/special/renowned/authentic places and fine-dining restaurants with tasting menu's.

We enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, ethnic, vegetarian, nordic, fusion ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds, and generally go for those more unique experiences.

Budget isn't an issue since this is a passion (discovering a city in many different aspects), so we are willing to splurge for the best experiences.

Given this profile, what would you recommend for us?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm going to atlanta (there may be an atlanta thread, and I'm sorry if I missed it) early next year for work. I'll be in "tech square/midtown." If you were dining on someone else's dime, is there a place there I should ask to be taken?

If you were spending your own money, is there a place i could ride a bus to eat at?

Not really the someone else's dime kind of place but Antico makes goddamn delicious pizza and is right in that area. I go there almost any time my work sends me to Georgia Tech for something.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

rockcity posted:

Not really the someone else's dime kind of place but Antico makes goddamn delicious pizza and is right in that area. I go there almost any time my work sends me to Georgia Tech for something.

Excellent! Thank you!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hi all - my in-laws are visiting us in Turkey, and they have fallen in love with our regular Uyghur place. Anyone know of a Uyghur restaurant in the Dallas/Plano area? They need more laghman in their lives once they go home.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Travelling to Memmingen (Bavaria) and possibly the surrounding area. Any particular places I should visit / interesting Bavarian food I should try?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
- Bavarian Pork Roast
- Auszogne (traditional doughnut like baked good)
- Kaspatzn/Käsespätzle, pasta like nuggets with cheese and the ultimate Bavarian winter/vegetarian dish
- Brezn, our original variety of Pretzel available at any bakery
- if you need a snack "Leberkässemmel", that's a bun with a thick slice of sausage like meatloaf, ask for "süssen senf " (sweet mustard) on it, you can get this at most butchers/some bakeries
- Obadzda, a Bavarian cheese spread made from camembert, onions, bellpepper powder and spices

And also have a Weisswurstfrühstück, a traditional Bavarian breakfast consisting of sausages, Brezn and a wheat beer.

I don't know Memmingen, but should you go to Munich, let me know and I'll have some places I can recommend.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 6, 2019

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any suggestions for Minneapolis? I'm relocating there for work and will be flying up Monday to start my first week on the job before I officially move. Figured I'd check here to see if anyone had any solid spots to recommend checking out.

Also, thanks for those Bavarian tips above. The company I'm going to start working for is German and I'll be making a trip there for a week to bounce around the country to visit a few different facilities.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I am generally considered by all my friends to be a pretty expert source on Minneapolis dining. Any specific areas or types of cuisine?

My favorite spot right now is Colita - upscale Mexican with some of the best cocktails in the area. Young Joni and Spoon & Stable are nationally renowned and tough to get into, but you can usually snag a bar seat pretty easily. Brasa is one of my fave more casual places, and Saint Dinette and Parlour have the best burgers in town. Need recos on anything else, from doughnuts to coffee to pasta to steak, let me know! Welcome!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DogoDogo posted:

I am generally considered by all my friends to be a pretty expert source on Minneapolis dining. Any specific areas or types of cuisine?

My favorite spot right now is Colita - upscale Mexican with some of the best cocktails in the area. Young Joni and Spoon & Stable are nationally renowned and tough to get into, but you can usually snag a bar seat pretty easily. Brasa is one of my fave more casual places, and Saint Dinette and Parlour have the best burgers in town. Need recos on anything else, from doughnuts to coffee to pasta to steak, let me know! Welcome!

Awesome, thanks! I’ll try to check some of these places out. I’ll be working up in Maple Grove and I’m still figuring out where we’re going to end up living.

I’m all ears on the doughnut and coffee recommendations.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

rockcity posted:

Awesome, thanks! I’ll try to check some of these places out. I’ll be working up in Maple Grove and I’m still figuring out where we’re going to end up living.

I’m all ears on the doughnut and coffee recommendations.

Brown butter glazed at Bogart’s Doughnut Co. is the platonic ideal of doughnut perfection. The owner is also a wonderful human. As far as coffee goes, Five Watt has never let me down, and I’m a fan of Dogwood as well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Take advantage of MSP having the largest Hmong population in the US and eat a shitload of Hmong food

Edit: Hmongtown in St Paul has a pile of dope food stalls. Union Hmong Kitchen is a really cool pop up restaurant serving fantastic eats too.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 7, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hopper posted:

- Bavarian Pork Roast
- Auszogne (traditional doughnut like baked good)
- Kaspatzn/Käsespätzle, pasta like nuggets with cheese and the ultimate Bavarian winter/vegetarian dish
- if you need a snack "Leberkässemmel", that's a bun with a thick slice of sausage like meatloaf, ask for "süssen senf " (sweet mustard) on it, you can get this at most butchers/some bakeries
- Obadzda, a Bavarian cheese spread made from camembert, onions, bellpepper powder and spices

And also have a Weisswurstfrühstück, a traditional Bavarian breakfast consisting of sausages, Brezn and a wheat beer.

I don't know Memmingen, but should you go to Munich, let me know and I'll have some places I can recommend.
Thanks. Stuttgart and Ulm are on the plan for tomorrow.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DogoDogo posted:

Brown butter glazed at Bogart’s Doughnut Co. is the platonic ideal of doughnut perfection. The owner is also a wonderful human. As far as coffee goes, Five Watt has never let me down, and I’m a fan of Dogwood as well.

drat that sounds like a good donut and I will for sure check it out.

And good to know about all the Hmong food. I had no idea that was a thing up there.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Thanks. Stuttgart and Ulm are on the plan for tomorrow.

Well there is a place called "Zum Schatten" in Ulm that has the largest Schnitzel you will find. You would have to reserve a table though. Opens at 5 pm and kitchen starts at 6 pm. My advice is reserve for 5.30 at the latest so your orders are in early. Go for Riesenschnitzel but ask to get 2 sides instead of one and go with Salad and Käsespatzle as these sides. You will never finish it but it is awesome.

Google entry: https://www.google.com/search?q=zum...um%2520Schatten

Hopper fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 8, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Take advantage of MSP having the largest Hmong population in the US and eat a shitload of Hmong food

Edit: Hmongtown in St Paul has a pile of dope food stalls. Union Hmong Kitchen is a really cool pop up restaurant serving fantastic eats too.

Hmong food is worth the trip to MSP. it is such a niche culinary experience for nearly all americans based demographics, but if you move to MSP, hmong is where you should start and then look into Somali cuisine

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
So true about Hmong food. I absolutely adore what Union Hmong Kitchen is doing and the chef is the nicest guy! He has a great web series on TPT also ( twin cities public television.)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DogoDogo posted:

So true about Hmong food. I absolutely adore what Union Hmong Kitchen is doing and the chef is the nicest guy! He has a great web series on TPT also ( twin cities public television.)

I might have to check them out while I’m up for training this week. I’m pretty eager to taste this now.

Edit: Bogart’s was awesome. The brown butter glazed donut is seriously legit.

Checked out Surly for dinner. Figured I needed to check off the de facto brewery in town. I’m quite pleased with it for both food and beer.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 10, 2019

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Any recommendations for food in Southeast Phoenix, specifically the greater Chandler area? I'm more than willing to drive a bit so no worries if the best place you know is closer to Phoenix proper. Also I have three days to myself, so if anyone has recommendations on things to see/hikes/etc that'd be dope, too

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Terrible recommendations:

Hopper posted:

-- Auszogne (traditional doughnut like baked good)
Didn't try these, seemed like extremely basic stuff.

quote:

- Bavarian Pork Roast
I mean, it's just a pretzel.
Tried several "traditional" pork roasts, wasn't impressed by any of them.
My sister defaulted to the vegetarian option, and her estimation dropped from "adequate" to :mediocre: as we kept running into it.
Went straight in the trash once everyone had a taste.

Places and food:
Tubingen (chocolate festival) - very crowded and very generic Christmas market with a chocolate emphasis (though the rest of the family loved it). The weirdest part was how hard it was to find proper hot chocolate instead of cacao powder at a freaking chocolate festival.
Esslingen am Neckar - Medieval style Christmas fair. Ate a very interesting cross between chips and crisps, and I now bitterly regret neither taking a picture nor noting the name of the food in question. Like very thinly sliced curly potatoes (way thinner than french fries) stringed together. Fried and hot. Yum.
The Taste Hotel near Heidelheim wildpark. Terrible service (I get that complaining about people who don't speak English in Germany is an extremely touristy thing to do, but if you can't figure out an order... just call someone else over) but decent food.
"Zum Stift" in Kempten. Ok food, waitresses in Dirndl dresses. Whatever baked good a ball of yellow dough is supposed to be, its was utterly tasteless and pointless.
Hirsh-Hotel Restaurant in Fussen (there was seemingly decent place at the foot of Ludwig's castles we never checked out before moving on to Fussen). Venison - expensive but pretty good. My mom had duck, which I thought was dry (duck meat usually is) but she liked it.
Coa Wok in Stuttgart - no idea why we decided to try Asian food in Germany.
Gasthof Zum Schwanen in Memingen - actually the most impressive menu and the best food we've had this trip.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 16, 2019

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Xander77 posted:

My sister defaulted to the vegetarian option, and her estimation dropped from "adequate" to :mediocre: as we kept running into it.

this is kind of a dick move

you sound like you just hate food tbh

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Next time you go abroad, just ask Google for the nearest McDonalds.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

yeah that reads very petty tbh. Was the potato dish Hasselback maybe? Thin sliced three quarters of the way through or more and baked in butter

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

this is kind of a dick move

you sound like you just hate food tbh
I honestly don't see the point of a place to trade recommendations where you can't actually give feedback on whether said recommendations were any good.

My list of places I've liked / disliked was about even.

amenbrotep posted:

Was the potato dish Hasselback maybe? Thin sliced three quarters of the way through or more and baked in butter
Nope. Googled a bit - basically potato chips made with a spiralizer and fried on the spot, kinda.

Edit: This.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Xander77 posted:

I honestly don't see the point of a place to trade recommendations where you can't actually give feedback on whether said recommendations were any good.

My list of places I've liked / disliked was about even.

you can definitely have whatever opinion you want on food you eat. but someone took the time to respond thoughtfully to your request, and your response was "terrible recommendations" and then made a point to say you didn't try some stuff because it seemed beneath you, you trashed some stuff, etc. you went out of your way to poo poo on their recommendations when you could have been polite about it or just said nothing.

you were a dick

edit: also lol at the thing you liked best being an item you can get at any fair

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have recs for Colorado Springs? Gonna be there for Christmas, wondering if there's anything worthwhile around.

Know it's a long shot since nobody replied but figured I might give it another try before I leave.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Know it's a long shot since nobody replied but figured I might give it another try before I leave.

There's a steakhouse out there that prides itself on serving any kind of meat it can, but that might be in Denver.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Feedback is good and welcome.

However, this is feedback: Xander, I noticed the way you worded your post irritated and offended others and they might not value your opinion. Next time you provide feedback, remember that feedback should always be given with positive intent, should be objective and describe a characteristic/behaviour that can be observed and its effect or consequence.

Example:
The suggested Brezn and Auszogne are normal baked goods, since I was looking for proper meals rather than snack foods, I decided to not try them.

I understand why you thought they are simple, but Brezn and Auszogne are a very Bavarian thing. I have eaten pretzels in several countries, and they were never up to par. In Bavaria, we use dedicated Brezn ovens where only Brezn are baked in the typical lye coating, which means the entire oven over the years takes on a kind of patina of lye that results in a very unique taste. Of course this means a proper bakery Brezn not supermarket style.

I am also sorry to hear you did not like pork roast but then again, it is not for everyone. Bavarian food is very heavy, lots of meat, grains and potatoes because we are traditionally a farming country and people worked on the farms all day. Personally, I prefer my own homecooked pork roast because the limitations of restaurant cooking can't reproduce a fresh pork roasted on veggies (unless you want to wait 2 hours for dinner) but depending on where you end up, pork roast is still very good.

Fun fact: Pork Roast is also the traditional way you estimate whether a Bavarian restaurant is overpriced before entering. You look at the menu outside and if the roast is over a certain amount, you know the place is expensive. This was around 10€ for years, right now it is about 12€ iirc, but Munich is always more expensive than elsewhere.

Should you ever come to Munich I can point you towards some excellent Bavarian places that serve all kinds of traditional food besides pork and Käsespatzle, more "general" German restaurants as well as authentic Indian, Chinese, Israeli, Italian, Japanese and other places, depending on what you would prefer

It is always easier to recommend a good restaurant than a specific dish due to the varying quality you get, depending on the restaurant you end up in.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've eaten at the Davies and Brooks 3 times in the last 4 days. They are still working out some things being open such a short time, but some dynamite stuff already. Looking forward to see what they get up to when I'm back in London in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Here's a curveball/long shot/hail mary/othersportsthing for ya: Minsk, Belarus.

I'm being sent out to Minsk for 3 months for work. I'm a vegetarian. I could just eat draniki all day every day, but I should probably mix it up.