Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
The wife and I have been on a road trip from Denver to South Carolina hitting up Austin, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans and Atlanta on the way. We just arrived in Atlanta, thought I'd give a quick food recap in case it helped anyone:

Austin:
Would've like to do the Franklin's line/experience but gently caress that noise. We instead hit up Micklethwait Craft Meats and had barely any wait but got delicious brisket, sausage and beef short ribs. Just go there instead unless you get in line at Franklink's at like 7 AM... on a loving weekday.
Did Counter 3 FIVE VII that night for a five course meal and it was so good I had to tip the kitchen crew a round of beers. Best meal I've had on the trip so far. Go here. Eat here.
Tacodeli was brunch the next day and all I can say is Denver needs to step their game up like drat. At least they have Torchy's now...
Also grabbed coffee at a couple places... Patika was all hipster and nobody was talking everyone was writing on their laptops silently but the coffee was good I guess. Also Epoch Coffee I fell in love with the iced Mojo here.
That night we hit up Midnight Cowboy for drinks. Definitely the most interesting if not the outright best cocktails on the trip so far, and I really enjoyed the whole hidden speakeasy vibe. They also did off-the-menu fruity cocktails for my wife without batting an eye which I very much appreciate.

San Antonio:
We just popped in for a night and did Mi Tierra - someone on SA mentioned the goat here was fantastic, he/she was drat right. The place is a mad house though. Walked around downtown, caught the light show at the cathedral... name escapes me now.

Houston:
First night we kicked off with Underbelly in which everything was good but I wasn't getting the whole "This is the Story of Houston" thing shoved in my face the whole time. Would recommend though, it just... the menu sorta felt all over the place and also reminiscent of "New American" food which Denver is drowning in.
Later on we hit up both The Nightingale Room and The Pastry War mezcaleria next door - both were amazing and the foodie bartender at Nightingale gave us great suggestions and was overall a great guy to help welcome us into town. The Montebello at Nightingale is probably my single favorite cocktail on the trip thus far. Also I found out I love mezcal until the next morning.
Next morning we did the seafood brunch buffet at Caracol - it's a buffet but I thought it was a drat good one, especially considering it was largely seafood. I felt very, uh... poor in that crowd though.
That night Coltivare was next with delicious pizza and pasta. We took it home to eat while watching football and it was still good so I can only imagine how fantastic it is fresh and warm.
On the way out we hit up Las Tortas Perronas and while not mind-blowing, it was a drat good sammich.
Coffee wise I think we just hit up Siphon Coffee which does siphon coffee... looks cool I guess? My taste isn't refined enough to taste much difference in that brew method.

New Orleans:
I'm still a bit hungover. This won't be in any discernible order.
Uh we mostly stuck around the French Quarter so we hit up Felix's for oysters (multiple times), did The Gumbo Shop and I was thoroughly underwhelmed, got hurricanes at Pat O'Briens and hand grenades at, uh... Tropical Island? We also did Coop's Place for gumbo/po' boy/jambalaya/stereotypical tourist NOLA food. Also did Cafe Du Monde, good beignets as always.
We also hit up Root for some charcuterie which while it was delicious, I was sort of surprised at how limited the menu was there. The happy hour there makes the charcuterie prices bearable IMHO, otherwise that poo poo is too rich for my blood.
Did a quick trip out to Middendorf's for shaved catfish (because Mind of a Chef).
Entertainment wise we caught a show at Siberia and had some delicious pierogis and stroganoff while having our ears blasted out. Also caught the Thursday burlesque show "Whiskey & Rhinestones" at Gravier Street Social. Highly recommend both.
On the way out we visited my most favorite spot, La Boulangerie for the best croissants in NOLA and I'll fight you over that. Munching on some now while listening to the couple next door fight in the Ramada at ATL.
We also stopped by at Dong Phuong for banh mi. I'm not sure if they're the best banh mi in NOLA but the bread here made me happy in ways bread back in Denver just couldn't.
Coffee wise we did Spitfire and Addiction and both were good - Addiction had some interesting drinks including one with cayenne that just burned your throat something fierce if you're into that sort of thing.

Alright trip report over for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I could use some recommendations for Sacramento. I realized I've been living here for over a year and never bothered really eating out. I have no preferences regarding food except that it be good to put in my mouf and will try anything once.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Amergin posted:

San Antonio:
We just popped in for a night and did Mi Tierra - someone on SA mentioned the goat here was fantastic, he/she was drat right. The place is a mad house though. Walked around downtown, caught the light show at the cathedral... name escapes me now.

That had to be me! The "Monterrey Platter" at Mi Tierra Cafe with the cabrito was THE best Mexican meal I've ever had in my life. Glad I didn't steer you wrong.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I could use some recommendations for Sacramento. I realized I've been living here for over a year and never bothered really eating out. I have no preferences regarding food except that it be good to put in my mouf and will try anything once.

I've had really good food at Red Rabbit (modern american cuisine) and Dad's Kitchen (really good burger).
Last time I was in town I had some of the pizza from Federalist Beer Garden and it was a nice place to eat and drink. Zelda's Pizza is a fun old school style pizza joint that has really good deep dish, though I haven't been in a couple years.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I live just outside Portland, OR and have for a long time. I have a lot of lower end places I like to eat when I just need a quick bite, but basically I have two kids and don't really get out much. Some of my favorite places closed during the recession.

I am looking for nice restaurants to take a date to. Since I am married to my date I can always try another place next month (which is about as often as we can mange to find someone to watch the kids on a saturday night). I am interested in all price points as long as the food and atmosphere are good or at least in line with the price. I detest gimmicks. Can you food goons help?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

AnonSpore posted:

I tend to mostly stick to midtown and to places that are more bars than restaurants, but these are some I like:

Bacon & Butter or Tower Cafe for brunch.
Bombay Bistro for Indian.
South or Sandra Dee's for fried chicken/barbecue/etc.
Burgers & Brew, Federalist, Lowbrau, Biergarten for beers and bar food.
Shady Lady for cocktails and good bar food.
Block Butcher for charcuterie and whiskey.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

I don't live there but pass through frequently. I am a fan of Ramen House Ryujin in Midtown and like to stop there for the "white ramen" (tonkotsu) or tan tan men.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone have recommendations for north of San Diego, in and around the triangle of Oceanside, Ecinitas, and Escondito? Especially nicer sit-down places. I'm looking to buy someone a gift card for a nice dinner for two for Christmas from halfway across the country, and gently caress trying to figure out what's actually good and what isn't based on Yelp reviews and the like.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for north of San Diego, in and around the triangle of Oceanside, Ecinitas, and Escondito? Especially nicer sit-down places. I'm looking to buy someone a gift card for a nice dinner for two for Christmas from halfway across the country, and gently caress trying to figure out what's actually good and what isn't based on Yelp reviews and the like.
I'd recommend Jake's Del Mar or Pacific Coast Grill in Cardiff.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Amergin, you did pretty good in Houston. I probably would have steered you towards different bars but it sounds like those were right up your alley.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are looking for a couple of fine dining options for a trip to Barcelona in April/May. Price is not an issue and we like all cuisines but prefer not to be overstuffed. We always try to go for unique, fine dining. Restaurants that you'd be hard to find in other places, are known throughout the world/renowned or just special or exotic cuisine. For example, a recent London trip brought us to The Ledbury, HKK, Gymkhana and restaurant Story. Any recommendations with this in mind?

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

Kalenden posted:

My companion and I are looking for a couple of fine dining options for a trip to Barcelona in April/May. Price is not an issue and we like all cuisines but prefer not to be overstuffed. We always try to go for unique, fine dining. Restaurants that you'd be hard to find in other places, are known throughout the world/renowned or just special or exotic cuisine. For example, a recent London trip brought us to The Ledbury, HKK, Gymkhana and restaurant Story. Any recommendations with this in mind?

I really enjoyed Disfrutar earlier this year; it's run by three guys who were once head chefs at El Bulli, so you can expect fun, experimental food, but nothing that I considered to be too over the top/"pretentious". 20+ courses, but I didn't walk away feeling too uncomfortable (just hammered, since I went for the beverage pairing as well!). You might also want to look into Tickets.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any recommendations for Tulsa? I'm going there tomorrow night for about 24 hours. I'm planning to hit Prairie Artisan Ales to snag some beer as I've heard really good things, but I know nothing about the city when it comes to food.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

didn't see a dining thread for portland, so what's worth checking out? open to pretty much any cuisine/price range

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

SonicDefiance posted:

I really enjoyed Disfrutar earlier this year; it's run by three guys who were once head chefs at El Bulli, so you can expect fun, experimental food, but nothing that I considered to be too over the top/"pretentious". 20+ courses, but I didn't walk away feeling too uncomfortable (just hammered, since I went for the beverage pairing as well!). You might also want to look into Tickets.

Those two options sound highly enjoyable!

Any other recommendations? I've heard good thingd about ABAC, Sant Pau, Via Veneto, Moments, and others as well, so hoping to hear more. About 4-5 evenings to fill.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

I looked into Moments and Sant Pau (you might want to look into Roca Moo as well), but was also mindful of the fact that a) San Sebastian was my next stop after Barcelona, and b) I still had five weeks of travelling (and eating!) around Spain and France to do after that, so I tried to spread out the timing of my fine dining meals. I actually had a spot at Tickets but gave it up because I knew I'd be eating at Disfrutar only a few days prior! Can't have it all, I guess.

A tapas bar I would recommend in BCN that isn't fine dining, but is a bit more upscale/a little bit non-traditional than your average place, is Paco Meralgo. Get a seat at the bar if you can.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions... I was in BCN for six nights and definitely ate very well! :)

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions!

So almost done with the planning.

To recap: I'm doing a city trip to Barcelona in April from Monday to Friday and my companion and I have to pick 5 restaurants in total, 4 times for an evening and one lunch (the Friday).

We are major foodies, like special cuisines, different from home (Belgium), and also really appreciate fine dining, unique combinations, gastronomic revelations and tasting menus with good alcohol pairings (bonus if the restaurant does not limit itself to exclusively wine) . We'd like to not do the same style of restaurant/food in a row but vary in between (e.g., tapas -> asian -> mexican -> tapas). Price is not an issue, as long as it it worth it.

In that sense with your suggestions, we've already decided on Disfrutar, Tickets, Cinc Sentits and Hoja Santa and still in doubt about the last one.

For variety sake, we are thinking of an asian option and we thought of Dos Palillos, Pakta and Koy Shunka.

So, three questions:

(1) What do you think of our choices? Doable for a nice city trip? Too much the same style? Better options available?

(2) What order of restaurant would you recommend? We thought of ending the trip with Cinc Sentits, the most traditional option we think, but with a nice lunch menu to end the trip.

(3) What asian option would you pick? Or a different asian altogether? Or another option?

Lots of questions but trying to plan a very good city trip for a special occasion, so working on it a lot!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I was super impressed with local food in Barca and some other European but not with other foreign food. I'd really consider more local food.

I live in Cinci and my favorite NY style deli closed. Anyone know a good Reuben in the town? I'll trade a really authentic Thai place. Budina. I haven't been to Thailand but I have been other places in SE Asia. Great wok hye, great duck, they use authentic cuts of meat and spices, don't white guy spice you and aren't afraid to dump on the fish sauce. Dollar to dollar it's my favorite place in town.

http://www.noodleandrice.com/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Is La Jolla too far? If not, Tapenade.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll be in Tampa for two weeks for corporate training and I'm a make them regret comping my meals. My hotel is the highway 65 exit of I-75. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm particularly interested in Caribbean food as my hometown doesn't have any.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

I'll be in Tampa for two weeks for corporate training and I'm a make them regret comping my meals. My hotel is the highway 65 exit of I-75. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm particularly interested in Caribbean food as my hometown doesn't have any.

To start with your hotel is in the middle of nowhere so I hope you've a rental. If you want authentic Jamaican you're heading to the Hyde Park neighborhood and eating Yah Mon. I dunno why you'd want carribean food in Tampa though, not exactly the local fare.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

To start with your hotel is in the middle of nowhere so I hope you've a rental. If you want authentic Jamaican you're heading to the Hyde Park neighborhood and eating Yah Mon. I dunno why you'd want carribean food in Tampa though, not exactly the local fare.

Yeah I have a rental. I'll eat anything but prefer to have poo poo I can't eat back home. We have awful seafood so that's certainly on the menu as well. What I'm seeing googling around looks like a lot of tourist traps but I'm also not really familiar with Florida, last I went was ~10 years ago.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Taco Bus. You want Taco Bus.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah I have a rental. I'll eat anything but prefer to have poo poo I can't eat back home. We have awful seafood so that's certainly on the menu as well. What I'm seeing googling around looks like a lot of tourist traps but I'm also not really familiar with Florida, last I went was ~10 years ago.

Ulele, rooster and the till, hotel bar, Bern's (or it's attached restaurant Haven), anise global, Fly Bar and Edison are absolutely killer.

If you only try one Rooster and the Till is mandatory for food. Hotel Bar for drinking.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Taco Bus is awesome. I've only been to the one in St. Pete, but I recommend it highly:
http://taco-bus.com/

Whenever anyone I know goes to Tampa, I strongly recommend Datz, which is literally one of my favorite restaurants anywhere:
http://www.datztampa.com/

If you want really old-school Spanish-inspired Cuban food, the Columbia in Tampa's historic Ybor City is the oldest restaurant in Florida, and iconic for good reason (although I've only ever been to one of their newer locations that probably wasn't as good as the original):
http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

And if you don't have good barbecue where you'd from, check out 4 Rivers Smokehouse, which started in the Orlando area (where I live) but is spreading out like wildfire because it's so good:
https://4rsmokehouse.com/locations/tampa/

Yellow Jesus
Jul 18, 2003

Any recommendations for Munich? Spending the weekend there and we want to try some traditional bavarian food for atleast one meal and are open for anything for the others

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005
Since the DC thread is locked for archives, does anyone have any suggestions for good eats for dinner? I'm only going to be in the city one night for work, and will be staying near the McPherson Square Metro Stop, but I'm happy to venture out on the subway a few stops away for something good. Something that can keep dinner under $20 would be optimal.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

Yellow Jesus posted:

Any recommendations for Munich? Spending the weekend there and we want to try some traditional bavarian food for atleast one meal and are open for anything for the others

Head to Augustiner-Keller; they brew some of the better lagers (in a city full of them) and have amazing traditional Bavarian food. Their biergarten (outdoor beer garden) is fantastic as well, though I would hazard a guess and say it's a bit cold to be out there right now. Their keller (indoor beer hall) also makes for a great atmosphere though.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

ucmallory posted:

Since the DC thread is locked for archives, does anyone have any suggestions for good eats for dinner? I'm only going to be in the city one night for work, and will be staying near the McPherson Square Metro Stop, but I'm happy to venture out on the subway a few stops away for something good. Something that can keep dinner under $20 would be optimal.

Come post in the DC Locals thread, we've got about a BAJILLION recommendations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

ucmallory posted:

The McPherson Square metro is on 14th street and K Street. If you walk a few blocks north up 14th street (between N and R), the whole 14th street strip is filled with some solid choices for ~$20.

My initial thoughts on some more low-key/fast-casual places to go:

14th Street Cafe or Great Wall Szechuan House - Great authentic chinese food
Maki Shop or Burdeo - More fast casual than fancy, but it's the "Burrito-sized Sushi" thing if you're looking for a quick bite to eat that's slightly novel
Amsterdam Falafelshop - This is deffo a quick bite to eat, but if you're into Falafel, they have a topping bar of like... 30 different things and it's quite yummy
Compass Rose - Street foods from around the world prepared in high-end ways. (More a sit down place than a fast casual)
Taqueria Nacional - Delightful tacos

(The above are probably a 15-25 minute walk from the metro)

&pizza - "The Chipotle of Pizza" and is quite good. Also is right near McPherson Square Metro

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Any places that are a must try on Maui or Kauai? I got a strong recommendation for Morimoto Maui so we're planning on doing one fancy dinner there but need some cheaper places to go to as well.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

snyprmag posted:

Any places that are a must try on Maui or Kauai? I got a strong recommendation for Morimoto Maui so we're planning on doing one fancy dinner there but need some cheaper places to go to as well.

Leoda's!

Some of the best pies i've ever had. I loved all the sweet pies they had; was underwhelmed by their savory ones.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/leodas-kitchen-and-pie-shop-lahaina

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For anyone navigating Oregon, or near OSU in Corvallis, it's worth popping over to Albany (it's on I5, about halfway between Portland and Eugene) to visit the Hungarian restaurant Novak's. It's an authentic family restaurant and the food is great, and very reasonably priced. If you're ever missing the Rheinlander, then this about as close as you're going to get in the state.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pick posted:

For anyone navigating Oregon, or near OSU in Corvallis, it's worth popping over to Albany (it's on I5, about halfway between Portland and Eugene) to visit the Hungarian restaurant Novak's. It's an authentic family restaurant and the food is great, and very reasonably priced. If you're ever missing the Rheinlander, then this about as close as you're going to get in the state.

Thanks. I'm in Portland but always looking for somewhere to try. Albany is only about an hour away. I know nothing of Hungarian food but I reckon it is worth a try. Is it really a lot like Rheinlander?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Thanks. I'm in Portland but always looking for somewhere to try. Albany is only about an hour away. I know nothing of Hungarian food but I reckon it is worth a try. Is it really a lot like Rheinlander?

There's no accordion, but aside from that, yes. You can read the reviews, it's been a favorite since the 80s. The daughter runs it now, and she's second-generation Hungarian and basically grew up in the restaurant. It's tops. Delicious home-made bread, incredible desserts, everything made on-site.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Phoenix goons, tell me what's what!

Here's what I know, feel free to correct me:
- LoLo's
- La Santisima for tacos (and those quesadillas, drat)
- Cornish Pasty Co

angor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 27, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

snyprmag posted:

Da Kitchen is great for a quick bite near the airport!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Any recommendations for Singapore? I haven't been there in nearly 20 years but I will be visiting for a few days later this month and I'm keen to try out what is apparently a very good and diverse food scene. Budget options around the $30-50 p.p. mark preferably.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Octy posted:

Any recommendations for Singapore? I haven't been there in nearly 20 years but I will be visiting for a few days later this month and I'm keen to try out what is apparently a very good and diverse food scene. Budget options around the $30-50 p.p. mark preferably.

Can't go wrong with any of the hawker centers! Choose one then look for the lines :) Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Any good places to eat in Athens (the Greek one)? Preferably with vegetarian options.