Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Keret posted:

Hey friends, I'm going to be travelling to Japan and Hong Kong in December. I love trying whatever new food I can when I travel, but the catch is, I'm vegetarian. Anyone have good authentic but veg-friendly food suggestions for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and/or Hong Kong? Dope veg ramen is something I'm especially looking for. I've made my peace with dashi/bonito being in a ton of stuff in Japan, so I'm willing to compromise on that.

Good tea houses, espresso/coffee bars, and sake breweries are also much appreciated.

I'm willing to splurge on really good food, but I'm also not made of money so reasonable prices are a plus unless it's somewhere I really can't miss.

for HK:
Knockbox coffee in Yau Ma Tei is great, but kinda out of the way. Kuberick is worth a visit if you're in the area. Otherwise I like Coco Espresso and Coffee Academics; both have a couple locations.

Don't have any good specifically vegetarian recommendations though. Just grab the openrice app and pick something that's well-reviewed and close-by when you get hungry :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Hopper posted:

So, me again. This one may be tricky.

Going to Singapore for 10 days on Saturday and wondering if there is any dish I should try that is usually not mentioned. Chili crab, chicken rice etc. is all well documented.

But do you know something Europeans often miss? Or small places we should go to that are not widely know but have great food? We plan to visit places all over the city, so chances are we can go almost anywhere except the most out of the way places.

Find a hawker center that sells clams (most of them). If you are convincing and adventurous they'll make them medium rare which is technically not legal but w/e. I can't give specific recco cuz I've only been here for a year, but unless you have an infinite budget, just pick a random hawker stall and you will probably end up with some amazing dishes.