Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

New Orleans doesn't seem to have it's own thread either. I'll want suggestions for there too. I like chill places, don't mind some skeevineess (so long as poo poo's not downright dangerous), really would like to eat somewhere awesome on or near the water if there's any of those left. Also want to get some Hot Chicken. And some good real cajun. Anything good, I eat everything. Any recommended joints that aren't super crowded or over touristy? Chill bar recommendations too, I have no desire to walk Bourbon Street with a novelty size Hurricane in a light-up glass.

New Orleans is probably my favorite city on the planet that I would never want to live in. Last minute 3 day weekend trips out there are a common occurrence for me, and it definitely earns its reputation as one of the best food cities in the world.

Coops's Place on Decatur in the quarter was both the best meal that I have ever had in New Orleans, as well as a fantastic bar. It's a total hole in the wall dive bar, that does traditional cajun. Everything that we had was loving incredible. Both times we went, it was not crowded at all. I'm pretty sure that people are intentionally keeping its scores low on Yelp to prevent tourist yuppies from flooding the place. I deeply regret that I didn't find out about it until my last trip.

If it's your first trip, bite the bullet and go to Cafe du Monde. The line will be ridiculously long, but is MOVES. Coffee is pretty good, and the beignets are solid. Worth the experience. If it's not your first trip, Cafe Beignet on Royal is better. When we went there, the food was all around better, and there was really great trio posted up right outside the patio on the street next to the police station.

Parkway Bakery on Bayou St. John is going to be busy, and feels a little touristy, but it the best poboy I've had in New Orleans, and worth the wait. The shrimp and the roast beef are standouts. This is a must-go place every time I visit.

Central Grocery on Decatur is another busy staple, that supposedly invented the mufaletta, but goddamn it is good.

Mother's Restaurant on Poydras is a very common recommendation, but I would highly suggest that you not waste your time and stomach space there. Gave it three chances, and every time I have been there, everything has been super bland.

Edit: The river is ugly, littered and often smells not great. Lose the romanticism about it now and you won't be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you could only go to one place, it should be Una Pizza Napoletana.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mickelthwaite is really good. Like, 80% as good as Franklin, with some other unique options as well.

Don't think of it as "standing in line for 4 hours for Franklin", think of it as "having a great excuse to start drinking beer at 8am in a place where nobody will judge you." 4 hours is probably about right though on a Wed/Thurs with UT in session.They have some camp chairs there for use, but sometimes run out, so if you want to be safe, either get there early, or just stop by a sporting goods store/Walmart and buy an $8 chair yourself. If you feel like doing it, it really is worth it and every bit as good as people say. It is without question the best brisket (and best pork ribs, surprisingly) that I have ever had, quite possibly my favorite thing to eat, full stop. Heading back next week for trip #6.

Beyond that, La Barbecue is about 90% as good, and only about a 90 minute wait. I heard that Terry Black's Austin location finally got its poo poo together and is great now, but I haven't been back yet.

Stiles Switch is better than Rudy's, but not as good as the rest. Still good though.

If someone tries to convince you to go to The Salt Lick, they are not your friend, sever all ties with them. Their BBQ is below mediocre, and only get recommended because the atmosphere is neat, and it's all you can eat.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Conan's atmosphere, and employees are awesome. Their pizza is really, really terrible. Mangia is better if you are looking for pizza casserole. For normal American/NY style, you cannot beat Homeslice. It's awesome. If you are looking for fancy Neapolitan, Buffalina is amazing and the best place in town.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Torchy's is pretty much the platonic ideal of white people tacos.

All tacos assumed to be on flour tortillas, not corn. None of those ICKY meats. The flavors are good, but definitely not too strong now! The hottest hot sauce is about medium/low level spiciness, so you can feel like a champ without actually hurting your precious tongue. All tied together inexplicably by a totally hip and cool rockabilly vibe that has been watered down to the point of complete mainstream inoffensiveness.

All in all, it's perfectly fine tasting food, there's just nothing remarkable about it, and there are at least 100 places to get a better taco in Austin.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Heading to Nashville for four days in August. Prince's and Husk are the only definitive stops planned so far. Besides hot chicken are there any local specialties that I need to check out?

Recommendations for places to eat are welcome. Not really looking for fancy, new, upscale small plate places. Prefer mainstays that locals rely on. Definitely looking for a BBQ joint or two.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
This is absolutely perfect, thanks. Tons of those places look like exactly what we're looking for.

Looking like getting into Nashville at 4pm on Saturday. Leaving around 6pm Monday.

Probably gonna hit Prince's, Southern Grist, Dozen, Peg Leg Porker, Husk, Dino's for drinks and probably a drunken late night burger, Loveless Cafe, Rolf and Daughters

Any idea where I can rent a Rascal scooter to roll my bloated rear end back to the airport?

Thanks!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You fuckin' rock.

I went back and checked my itinerary and I was totally wrong about arrival and leave times. I've got more time than I thought! We'll also have a car, and plan on driving all over the place during the days anyway, so food location is not a major issue. We'll work out the stuff we want to SEE around the stuff we want to eat.

Rearranged some stuff for open/close hours, and then we've gotta be about 10 miles north of Hendersonville at 12:45pm Monday for the eclipse. Looking like we can't make it to Rolf. Wanted to work them in Monday afternoon but they don't open until when we have to be AT the airport. Subbed McDougal's. Looks like the final food itinerary is:

Saturday:

8:30am - Arrive in Nashville
Breakfast: Monell's
Lunch: Peg Leg Porker
Dinner: Prince's
Drinks: Dino's and/or Southern Grist

Sunday:
Breakfast: Loveless Cafe
Lunch: Arnolds
Dinner: Husk

Monday:
Breakfast: Dozen Bakery
Lunch: Pastries from Dozen, watch the eclipse at Avondale Access Area off Shute and 386
Super Early Dinner: McDougal's

5:30pm - be back at airport

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
drat, thought I checked all of them. Not gonna make it then. Will have to sub for something else.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Where's home? Where have you already been?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How long from now are you going to Iceland? If it's more than 9 weeks from now, you can pay someone to bury some sharks along the way to ferment for you ahead of time.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I spend 2-3 weeks every year in Galway for work. Pickings are a little slim, but getting better.

The Dough Bros. - Legit good Neapolitan pizza place. Very casual. Great owners too. Started as a food truck, went brick and mortar, then had to majorly expand because they got so popular. Quality has not suffered.

McDonaghs - Probably the best fish and chips in Ireland. The right half of the restaurant is sit down table service, left half is a walkup counter with plenty of seating. I probably eat here more than anywhere else.

The Galmont Hotel - Probably the best breakfast in Galway. A lot of people that eat there are staying at the hotel, but tons of locals still go drop 20 Euros to eat the breakfast buffet. Has all of the Full Irish Breakfast essentials. Back bacon, black and white puddings, roasted tomatoes, potatoes, beans, mushrooms. SUPER good. There are two other really good hotels in Galway and I always stay here because the breakfast is so freaking good.

Charcoal Grill - Passable kebab fare that becomes transcendentally good after 1am with friends after the pub.

Freeney's - My favorite old man pub. Great pints. A constant murmur of people, but stays quiet enough for easy conversation. Sells high end bottles of whisky during the day, for better prices than Celtic Whisky Shop in Dublin.

Eastern Tandoori - Slightly fancier, but no dress code or stodginess. Best Indian food I have found out there.

Wildes on the Bay - Good seafood place with a bistro feel.

Supermacs - Local Irish version of McDonald's. Most of it is identical to McD's, but I can't make a trip out to Galway without a large order of chips with curry sauce, garlic sauce and cheese. It sounds terrible, and is, but in the absolute best way possible.

If you only go to 3 places in Galway, full Irish at the Galmont, Dough Bros. and McDonagh's are the clear winners.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Headed to both LA and then Vancouver for a week each next month and would love some recommendations. I'm into pretty much everything at all price ranges. I love unmarked taco places in dying strip malls, or hip new Michelin bait. Coming from Austin, so the hardest things for me to get where I live are probably great seafood and ramen, so recs for those would be extra appreciated.

Thanks!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

Some great food cities, these two.

For LA my personal favorites:
Half & Half bubble tea - there are locations all over, it's blown up within the past few years but still the best milk tea/bubble tea I've had, period (including US, China, Japan, Thailand).
Xi'an Kitchen - great authentic Xi'an Chinese food. Get some noodles and some "Chinese hamburgers" or whatever they call them in English (or just ask for 肉夹馍 roujiamo). I always have to stop here when we're in town.
Chengdu Taste - for more Sichuan style authentic Chinese food.
Mashti Malone's - Persian ice cream, so delicious.
BADMAASH - gastropub with an Indian twist.
Sea Empress Seafood or Seafood Palace - bomb dim sum.
Duck House for Peking duck.
Class 302 - cute Taiwanese cafe, good place to hang out and munch on snacks/drunk food. Also open relatively late.
Shin-Sen-Gumi - good yakitori place (but not cheap).
President Square food court used to have a good ramen place but that's now closed, but might still be a good spot to find a cheaper bite to eat. I remember they had tons of different noodle places.
85C Bakery for Taiwanese pastries. Great stop for a quick breakfast.
Along that same line, Oh My Pan has a good brick toast.

For Vancouver (I haven't visited all of these but they're on my to-try list):
Hokkaido Ramen Santouka - best ramen I've had in the US so far.
Thai: Sawasdee Thai, Maenam, Longtail Kitchen
Malaysian: Laksa King, Penang Delight Cafe
Amay's House for Burmese
Cafe Kathmandu for Nepalese
Indian: Vij's, House of Dosas, Sachdeva Sweets for Indian sweets
New Town Bakery & Restaurant for Chinese pastries

Thanks for these. Definitely going back to Santouka. The last time I was in Vancouver I went there 3 times.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was in Downtown LA a few months ago, and they have this big indoor emporium called the Grand Central Market with many options. I really enjoyed the Thai place, I think it was called Sticky Rice.

Definitely gonna do that.

The Aardvark posted:

Indian Wok is good in Vancouver if you want to try Indian Chinese fusion foods. The butter chicken and hot and spicy paneer were amazing.

Annnd this.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Ok, so some complication with my trip to LA. I'm going to be working 8a-6p in the Chatsworth/Canoga Park area, and I'm not getting a single weekend day there. I don't think that trying to drive from Chatsworth into downtown LA and back during rush hour is going to be particularly pleasant, so any suggestions specifically in that area/Northridge/Sherman Oaks would be appreciated. If there are any ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MISS places elsewhere in LA that are worth the atrocious drive though, lemme know.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, not to diminish your experience, that sucks that it was bad for you, but I loved it. It did not live up to the hype, because the hype was that it was the second coming of our lord and savior, and the most genius, delicious, authentic, yada yada yada... It was loving great though, and probably one of my top 20 meals.

The service was very hands off. We got everything quickly, and stuff was explained well, but we didn't have any "How's everything tasting?!?!?" type interactions, which I like. We were never in need of anything, and drinks were always full though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Husk was fantastic.

Prince's was a two hour wait, which is fine, but the leg quarter was pretty okay, overcooked but great flavor. The white meat was again great outside flavor, but the toughest, driest, most overcooked piece of chicken I have ever had in my life. I'm hoping it was an outlier, but man was it a disappointment.

Breakfast at Monell's was easily the best meal I had in Nashville, probably on my top 5 meals of all time. Everything just tastes like the platonic ideal of that thing. Service was great, location is great. Just an amazing place.