Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Postmaster GBS posted:

I'm going to be in San Diego this weekend.

Any local staples that I should be looking for?

I saw Curbside Bites mentioned in the LA thread. Really open to any and all suggestions, looking to do one fine dining sesh with friends (we originally planned on being in Phoenix and had booked at Virtu, but plans have changed) and aside from that, I want to eat everything (particularly some fresh seafood).

Any input is appreciated, I'm super excited.

I've heard really good things about Phil's BBQ. You'll probably have to stand in line, but it's apparently worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PatMarshall posted:

Hello thread, where can I find the best BBQ in the Raleigh-Durham area? Any favorite bars? Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, when I was in the area a few years ago, I was taken to Backyard BBQ Pit, and it was very, very good.

As for bars, I can tell you of a couple in Durham: The Green Room was nice and low-key, and has free shuffleboard, while Bull City Burger and Brewery is good for burgers and local craft beers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Postmaster GBS posted:

I'm gong to be in Toronto for the weekend. Anything in particular that I should scope?

Caplansky's Deli at 356 College St was nice. Hungary Thai was great, but it long since closed, I hear. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Postmaster GBS posted:

Appreciate that lightning recommendation. Thank you

No problem! Also, I think you should be able to ask at the Toronto thread over in LAN.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nephzinho posted:

Any good recommendations for Paris?

First of all, there's the old fashioned just walk around in the morning and choose random patisseries and boulangeries to get your breakfast from, same for lunch/dinner and restauranrs, near Châtelet especially.

If you're looking for something perhaps a bit over-the-top nerdy, there's The Bar at the End of the World.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nephzinho posted:

That is the plan for breakfast and some lunches, but for this vacation we literally just have a spreadsheet of lunch and dinner picks. My fiance's family vacation itineraries are literally just a collection of menus and we plan what to do based on what is near/between the food and we currently have 3 open dinners in Paris to finish the trip "planning".

I would suggest going to Le dernier bar for dinner. It's got silly things on the menu like a 42" sandwich and such. And the ambiance is really over-the-top.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RabbitMage posted:

Back in Fresno for the summer. Help?

My condolences. Nobody should be forced to endure that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mojo1701a posted:

Thanks! I'm starting to think I might be there for at least a week (was thinking about visiting another city or two, but might just stay there for 1 1/2 weeks and do 3-4 days in Strasbourg since someone recommended Alsace to me) since there seem to be some organized day tours to Normandy and other memorial sites. In the meantime, I really want to see as much variety (local and otherwise) as I can. (I even told a friend of mine I'd check out a McDonald's just to see if they do actually call it a Royale with cheese).

Strasbourg is nice, be sure to hang round the old city and visit the canals for some cute wildlife. Also they might be having one of their night-time light shows at the big cathedral, check it out if you can.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

angor posted:

Any good recommendations for Toronto? I'll be there for 10 days beginning of August.

Wvrst for a remarkable variety of German sausages and duck-fat-fried fries, Astoria Shish Kebob House for great Greek food.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

angor posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Here's what I've got so far - feel free to suggest other stuff or tear down anything I've put up :D.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GXJOmyElYAghzfZA2gpFC5K2dDI&usp=sharing

I'm just recommending based on a recent trip, I'm not a Toronto native. Will have to check some of yours out when I'm back for a visit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

got off on a technicality posted:

Also does anyone have recommendations for Paris? Looking for anything at all that's less obvious (i.e. not necessarily Michelin) / touristy

My go-to is Le dernier bar avant la fin du monde, it's a fun sci-fi-themed bar/restaurant. I guess you could call it touristy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

angor posted:

Is that a play on the 'Restaurant at the end of the Universe' from Hitchhiker's Guide?

Yep!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stringent posted:

drat, I really want to visit Key West now.

Better do it within the next couple of decades, it's not going to remain above water for long.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Going to be in downtown LA, near Skid Row, in a few weeks, for about 24 hours. Looking for brunch/lunch, light early dinner, and nightcap places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doom Rooster posted:

Headed to both LA and then Vancouver for a week each next month and would love some recommendations. I'm into pretty much everything at all price ranges. I love unmarked taco places in dying strip malls, or hip new Michelin bait. Coming from Austin, so the hardest things for me to get where I live are probably great seafood and ramen, so recs for those would be extra appreciated.

Thanks!

I was in Downtown LA a few months ago, and they have this big indoor emporium called the Grand Central Market with many options. I really enjoyed the Thai place, I think it was called Sticky Rice.