Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I'm spending a week in Haarlem and Amsterdam. Is there anywhere particularly good that's not tremendously expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Hopper posted:

A friend is going to Venice (Italy) on the weekend and asked if I had any recommendation food wise. Do you guys have any tips for central Venice? Could be street food or normal lunch/dining affairs. She is alone and doesn't want to do fine dining on her own.

I was in Venice last year, and I got a lot of good recommendations from the Osteria Italia, a restaurant guidebook published by the Italian slow food movement, with an emphasis on local and traditional food. The only disadvantage is that most of the places it recommends aren't in the city centre, but Venice isn't too large or hard to navigate. On the other hand, these places generally aren't more expensive (sometimes much cheaper!) than the sort of generic Italian food you find in the tourist-heavy areas, as well as cooking better and more interesting food. By the by, it's not quite street food, but in Venice there's a kind of restaurant called a cicchetteria, which serves chicchetti, small dishes eaten with wine, sort of like Italian tapas.

Anyway, here are some restaurants the guide recommended that aren't too inaccessible for someone staying in the center of Venice.

Ca’ d’Oro detta Alla Vedova: It's down a back alley, but it's easy to find on google maps. The guidebook also recommends booking in advance, which we didn't bother with, but is probably worth doing. The food is mostly traditional Venetian chicchetti and restaurant food with an emphasis on seafood. They apparently do very good fried meatballs as part of their chicchetti and antipasti, though I never got to try those. It doesn't have a website, but you can find the menu in the pictures in its google maps page (and, for some reason, the menus from several other restaurants - the right ones are at the bottom of the list).

La Bitta: Unusually for Venice, this is a meat focused restaurant - it doesn't serve any fish, and it doesn't have much for vegetarians. It also doesn't take credit cards, and from what I remember, the service was slow. The food was good, though, and they did some very nice desserts, so I'd still recommend it. As before, the menu can be found in the google maps page.

Dalla Marisa: I haven't actually eaten here, so I can't say that much about it. It's also fairly far from the center of Venice, but it's quite close to the train station, which might be convenient for your friend. It also does a 17 euro fixed price lunch menu, which is pretty good value and a 40 euro dinner menu (or at least, it did in 2019).

Chiccheteria: Bar Al'Arco, Chiccheteria da Luca e Fred, Osteria da Codroma, and Osteria al Portego. The only one I've actually been to is the Al'Arco, which was very good, and happily also the one most convenient to the city centre. They all come highly recommended, though.

If you want, I can send you the machine-translated versions of the guidebooks description. If your friend is going to be travelling around Italy more, and can read Italian or doesn't mind putting up with machine translations, it might be worth her while to buy a copy. It's a fairly comprehensive book, and I found the detail about local food specialties and traditions to be helpful.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Depending on your price range, Stravaigin and Ubiquitous Chip are both very good. On the cheaper end, I was fond of the University Cafe, Old Salty's for fish and chips, and ice cream from Jaconelli's. The west end and Kelvingrove in particular have a lot of good options, so just pulling up Google Maps and seeing what you like the look of should be fine. There's also the Shish Mahal, which claims to be the origin of chicken tikka masala, if that seems interesting.

It's been years since I've lived in Glasgow, though, so you should probably check reviews first.

e: It's not a restaurant, but George Bower in Edinburgh is a butcher that does some very nice meat pies.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

GEEKABALL posted:

All sounds good, thanks! Mrs.Geek and I are very excited about our visit. Do all Scottish pubs have a good selection of scotch, or is there anything in particular we should look for? We both enjoy the gamut, from smokey - peaty to light and sweet. We were disappointed when we realized we would not have enough time for a side visit to Islay and the distilleries there.

Sorry, I wasn't much of a drinker when I lived there, so I can't help much with that. From what I remember, pubs are generally too downmarket to carry a variety of whisky. You'd probably be better off looking for speciality shops, or upmarket restaurants or bars. FWIW, Ubiquitous Chip says it has a good selection.