Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hopper posted:

I am going to Milan for 1 day on Wednesday, arriving at Porta Garibaldi. Does anyone happen to have a tip for lunch or early dinner? Alternatively, what local dishes are a good choice?

A couple of thoughts:
1) the easiest recommendation is to send you to the bigger train station, Centrale (it’s walkable) and the food hall there, Mercato Centrale, is very good. Has a pizza stand, pasta, seafood, bakeries, etc, all done to a high level. So ticks a lot of boxes

2) Some of the classic dishes are cotoletta, which is basically a veal schnitzel, and osso bucco and risotto Milanese, which is beef shank stew and saffron risotto. Can be good, but I’d honestly consider a fried veal cutlet a missed opportunity over very well done “Italian” even if they’re more specifically “Milanese”.

3) There’s an old school Tuscan steakhouse, Osteria la Carbonaia, next to the catholic university campus. Can get there on the metro, and can’t be beat if you’re looking for a big hunk of beef done Florentine style. Yes I know this contradicts point 2, but I make no claims of internal consistency.

4) if you’re looking for a blowout experience, Carlo Cracco has his flagship restaurant near the Duomo, in the galleria Vittorio Emmanuele. So if money is literally no object it’s gorgeous and fancy and very Italian.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU