Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
The beer goons had some good recommendations, but where can I get good food in Charleston, SC?

We're not picky at all, fine dining or dingy hole in the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to hear some recommendations for Charleston, South Carolina.

I got you. Some decent recommendations, but I’ll add a few more.

Beer:

-Edmund’s Oast-the brewery is awesome with great upscale bar food and their restaurant has a lot of great small plate options with good food and drinks
If you go to the brewery it’s worth hitting the other local breweries nearby.
-Charlestown’s fermentory-cool little spot with best ipas in town.
-Revelry-2 awesome locations

Bars:
-the Gin joint: cool hotspot with very impressive cocktails and some small snacks down near the market/tourist area off Bay Street. If the have the basil honeysuckle creme brûlée, eat it.
-Prohibition: Located on King St. great cocktails and food.
-Proof-also on King street-smaller spot with twists on classic cocktails, usually not as loud of chaotic as Prohibition but just as good.

Gene’s-fun dive bar with darts and pool in Avondale. Great beer selection.

Brunch:
-Butcher and Bee-pretty cool place with plenty of small plates and vegetarian options
-The Macintosh- Upscale plays on American classics. The Bone Marrow bread pudding is great.
-The Grocery-twists on American classics
Toast-local chain with decent American breakfast
-Edmund’s Oast-probably my favorite brunch in Charleston

Brunch is life in Charleston, make sure you get reservations, and you can ignore my list to find loads of great brunch spots. Sadly, Hominy Grill closed.

Lunch/Dinner:
-Wild Common- incredible new restaurant with s changing seasonal menu. Upscale but very well priced tasting menu that they will tweak for food allergies without issue. Went recently and will definitely go back
-Circa 1886-upscale steak house vibe
-Husk-iconic in Charleston, but I was underwhelmed.
-5Church- go here for better southern food than Husk.
-Magnolias-more traditional southern food
-Blossom- sister to Magnolias, solid seafood
-Balao- great vibe and fun small place with incredible seafood. Menu is somewhat small. This is the upstairs bar to Burwell’s steakhouse.
-The Darling- best oysters and raw bar in Charleston.

Just a quick list, if you’re looking for more of for something in particular, feel free to pm me!

I would recommend skipping Coast (it’s like a vaguely fancy Red Lobster) and Hom.

Edit: Whoops. Oh well. Still a good list.