Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to hear some recommendations for Charleston, South Carolina.

Husk of course, if you can get in, but I think FIG is almost as good. Jestine’s Kitchen for some legit down-home southern cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Hattie B’s is my hot chicken of choice. Never too crowded in my experience and deliciously fiery.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

SubponticatePoster posted:

Need a rec for a good steakhouse in the Kansas City area. It’s my dad’s 80th birthday and we want to take him somewhere nice. If it was up to his wife they’d have the buffet at Golden Corral

Like to keep it under $75 per person (nobody is a big drinker so wine isn’t important) since I’ll be picking up the whole tab. Also someplace accessible, the ol’ man can’t do flights of stairs.

Not strictly a steakhouse, but The Rieger is glorious, suitably old-school classy, and always has some divine steak on the menu.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I am generally considered by all my friends to be a pretty expert source on Minneapolis dining. Any specific areas or types of cuisine?

My favorite spot right now is Colita - upscale Mexican with some of the best cocktails in the area. Young Joni and Spoon & Stable are nationally renowned and tough to get into, but you can usually snag a bar seat pretty easily. Brasa is one of my fave more casual places, and Saint Dinette and Parlour have the best burgers in town. Need recos on anything else, from doughnuts to coffee to pasta to steak, let me know! Welcome!

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

rockcity posted:

Awesome, thanks! I’ll try to check some of these places out. I’ll be working up in Maple Grove and I’m still figuring out where we’re going to end up living.

I’m all ears on the doughnut and coffee recommendations.

Brown butter glazed at Bogart’s Doughnut Co. is the platonic ideal of doughnut perfection. The owner is also a wonderful human. As far as coffee goes, Five Watt has never let me down, and I’m a fan of Dogwood as well.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
So true about Hmong food. I absolutely adore what Union Hmong Kitchen is doing and the chef is the nicest guy! He has a great web series on TPT also ( twin cities public television.)

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

C-Euro posted:

Kind of a specific request, but are there any good vegan bakeries in Boston, MA? Have an overnight work trip and my friend is watching my dog for me, I told her I would bring her back a tasty vegan treat as thanks.

One of my favorite bakeries on earth, Flour Bakery, has an amazing vegan chocolate cake. Oakleaf Cakes also always has a number of vegan options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
I would live at Flour Bakery if I could. Or Tartine Bakery in SF.