Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

StoneOfShame posted:

This is quite an American thread, would anybody be interested in a write up of the Birmingham UK which over the last three years has has turned into one of the most exciting culinary cities in the UK?

I once went to a vegetarian restaurant in Brum and it was incredible. Can't remember what it was called but I heard they shut down. All I remember is that it was upstairs somewhere in a nondescript building and we had a hard time finding it. Food was soooooo good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

A jargogle posted:

Just a quickie - anyone know of good places in berlin?

Datscha does an awesome Russian brunch.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

CzarChasm posted:

Heading to Portland in a few months, looking for some suggestions. Wife and I are going to check out Eidelweiss Deli for a lunch, but we'll be spending a week there, with probably a dinner up in Seattle, so any recommendations appreciated. Breakfast, lunch and dinner all welcome. Hopefully we can find some good Japanese places, but we're open to most anything. Someone posted an Ethiopian place on the first page, which might be worth a closer look.

This is everything I ate in Portland (ignore the other cities) on my 5 day trip there. Most of it was fantastic, especially Mirakutei for ramen. Feel free to ask questions about any of it :)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zizvKe_qy6E4.ksyf0O-ls1v0&usp=sharing

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Postmaster GBS posted:

Awesome. Thanks.

We are back in Phoenix today but I will keep it in mind for next time.

We went to Lucy's in the gaslight district for tacos, I also had the fish tacos at PB Ale House and they were okay.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

Go to La Santisima and eat tacos: http://www.lasantisimagourmet.com/

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

drgitlin posted:

Going to spend a couple of days in Berlin in early November. Where's interesting to eat at?

There's a Russian place called Datscha that does a Sunday brunch buffet. I went there a few years ago and it was pretty drat excellent.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Goons, I need help!!!

I'm in San Francisco tomorrow night and need help deciding between Nopa, Boulevard, and Foreign Cinema.

I'm a vegetarian but my dinner buddies aren't. I think I'm leaning towards Boulevard but I'm not 100% sure.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Don't have a huge sweet tooth and only in town for 2 nights (busy during the day) but it looks like there's on in Tempe and I'm in AZ for a few weeks so I'll check that out!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Phoenix goons, tell me what's what!

Here's what I know, feel free to correct me:
- LoLo's
- La Santisima for tacos (and those quesadillas, drat)
- Cornish Pasty Co

angor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 27, 2017

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Any good recommendations for Toronto? I'll be there for 10 days beginning of August.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wvrst for a remarkable variety of German sausages and duck-fat-fried fries, Astoria Shish Kebob House for great Greek food.

Awesome, thanks!

Here's what I've got so far - feel free to suggest other stuff or tear down anything I've put up :D.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GXJOmyElYAghzfZA2gpFC5K2dDI&usp=sharing

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

drgitlin posted:

Banh Mi Boys

It's on the map! And probably the first place I'll hit up.

Does anyone else have weird things they like to do in a new city/country? My first meal is usually a sandwich (a banh mi if I can find one) and a local beer. I also have this strange compulsion to try and eat Ethiopian food in as many countries as I can because Ethiopian food owns.

angor fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 14, 2017

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Kalenden posted:

Sorry, I am beyond retarded. We are visiting NYC and come from Belgium.

Are you interested in awesome/rare beer? Bring a few 750ml bottles of Cantillon with you. That stuff is like GOLD in the US. Great for trading!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
There was a place in Pittsburgh called Conflict Kitchen where they would only serve food from a country that the US was in conflict with. I think it's closed forever now :(

The only other thing I know about Pittsburgh is there's a bar called Hidden Harbor that does great tiki - https://twitter.com/HiddenHarborPGH

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hard to turn a profit when your one and only dish is "tablespoon of rice and some grass".

Hey, congratulations on writing the single stupidest thing I've read all week! :)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is that a play on the 'Restaurant at the end of the Universe' from Hitchhiker's Guide?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I went to Boulevard when I was in SF. Did NOT disappoint!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

emotive posted:

For whatever reason my girlfriend and I decided to book a week vacation in Toronto next week. Sort of regretting not choosing Montreal instead, but that's besides the point -- Given that one of us is a vegetarian, what are some good suitable places to eat at?

Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot.

The wife and I had a 10 day trip to Toronto last year. I'm vegetarian, she isn't. We put together a map of stuff we wanted to eat while we were there. Green was 'go out of our way to eat', yellow was 'eat if relatively close by', and blue was 'maybe check out if nothing else looks great'.

Here's the map! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GXJOmyElYAghzfZA2gpFC5K2dDI&usp=sharing

angor fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 19, 2018

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looks like the New Orleans thread is archived!

Heading that way for the first time towards the end of October for a conference. My dinners should be relatively free, staying at the Cambria in the Warehouse District. I'm a vegetarian which throws a wrench in the works but need recommendations for good eating! Don't mind jumping in an Uber for a good meal.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Amergin posted:

I got a whole list of places to go check out so if you want more, let me know.

This is such an awesome list, thank you for putting this together! Some of these places I wouldn't be able to eat anything at (looking at you, Mulate's), but solid, solid looking recs.

My trip is Oct 22-25. Will report back.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Amergin posted:

I got a whole list of places to go check out so if you want more, let me know.

Around the Cambria:
Barcadia is a fun place to chill if you're a nerd
Peche Seafood Grill
Mother's
Mulate's

Little bit more outside that area:
Buttermilk Drop & La Boulangerie for bakeries
Dooky Chase, Mandina's, Felix's Oyster Bar, Crabby Jack's, Salvo's Seafood, Mahoney's Po' Boy Shop are all good staples

If you get tired of creole/seafood:
Dong Phuong Oriental Bakery
SukhoThai
Humble Bagel
Pizza Domenica
Blue Dot Donuts
The Company Burger
Dat Dog

For more bar/music type deals:
Vaughan's Lounge
Spotted Cat Music Club
Preservation Hall
Carousel Bar
Twelve Mile Limit
Cure
The Other Bar
Snake & Jake's

And I always stop into Siberia Lounge to have my ear drums burst while munching on delicious pierogies and sausages.

Last night of my trip! Most of my meals have been at the conference I've been at which have varied from just alright to actually pretty decent. Mother's was awesome, had a kickass slice at Crescent City Pizza Works, but the absolute best meal I've had in my time here was lunch at Cochon today. Unbelievably good. Might check out Dat Dog if I can convince myself to leave the hotel tonight. Thanks again for the recs!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looking for recommendations for a long layover in Frankfurt.

I'll be there next Wednesday (20th). I land at 9am so can probably be in the city by 10am (no visa, no luggage). My flight leaves at 5pm so I can leave for the airport at 3pm, which gives me 5 hours.

Things I want:
Breakfast
Apfelwein
Grüne Soße
Handkäse

Suggestions?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Any Tucson, AZ goons want to tell me where to eat/drink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Here's a curveball/long shot/hail mary/othersportsthing for ya: Minsk, Belarus.

I'm being sent out to Minsk for 3 months for work. I'm a vegetarian. I could just eat draniki all day every day, but I should probably mix it up.