Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

Dublin! Any recommendations?

I'd also be interested in tips for Dublin, Ireland. Especially small hole in the wall things with authentic food of any type. I am not into starred places, I like honest working man stuff better as I believe it gives you a better idea of the food culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

Going to spend a couple of days in Berlin in early November. Where's interesting to eat at?

Street food advice only:

Check out Curry 36. It is the most famous bratwurst place in Berlin. Sausages are honest and good, but they are not the greatest I ever had.

Next to it is Mustafa's Gemüsekebab place. They allegedly make the best roasted vegetables kebab in Berlin. Place has a queue at any time from opening until 2 am. Personally I couldn't be arsed to queue up as we were too busy drinking (bachelor do) but local friends said it was good.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Careful, Central grocery closes early and is closed on Mondays. I missed out on that because of weird opening times.

There is a smallish place in a side street of Bourbon called The old Coffe Pot, it was nice and quiet even though we were there during spring break time (didn't know that beforehand).
Edit: http://www.theoldcoffeepot.com/

Also yes, you absolutely do want to queue for Coffee and Beignets at Cafe due Monde. There was a 30 Minute queue at 10 on a weekday but I was totally worth it.

Depending on where you are there are fantastic Vietnamese places in New Orleans as well. And seafood of course.

Edit 2: Here's a link to a thread I made where I got my tips on Nolan food places, it's from April: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696765&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Hopper fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 8, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'll be in Cardiff for a total of 3 lunches and 3 dinners soon, any recommendations?
I'd prefer to have traditional Welsh once, the other times I don' t mind.

I was thinking of reserving a table at the Clink, because I like what they do with the inmates rehabilitation program, has anyone been there before?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Going to Cardiff in the soon to be Ex-EU tomorrow and need last minute food advice, already plan on going to the Clink for dinner but looking for takeaway/quick lunch stuff as I will be exploring the city all Thursday and half of Friday/Sunday. Good fish&chips would be nice, and maybe typical Welsh stuff.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Aw man, I feel super guilty that I didn't see this thread before with two people coming to Cardiff on this page alone. I hope you both enjoyed and would dig finding out where you went after if you're still reading this thread.

Ah just realized it was the same person twice! A return visit then?

What did you think of The Clink? I found the booking page was a bit broken when I went a year or so ago and I wasn't able to get the date I wanted on my attempted 2nd visit but I think it's great. Lots of pride taken in the food (the chef came up to me before I started eating to rotate the plate 90 degrees as he 'didn't put that much effort in for the server to mess it all up', ha), and the quality of it was excellent while being fairly priced. It's a very positive program and I hope it's helped turn a lot of lives around.

That was me twice because I got no answer the forest time. Anyway, I did decide against the clink after all because I just did not have the time. I ended up walking from 9a.m. to 10pm on the only full day I was in Cardiff and decided to see more and skip the restaurant.
First night I arrived late and went to chippy lane for the the famous boneless curry chicken at Dorothy's...was that the name? Amazing stuff. The next day I ate breakfast in the market hall, had hotstone welshcakes, a hotdog at hogwurst, nitrogen icecram in one of the arcades and dinner at the grazing shed (lamb burger). Then I left for 2 days. I came back and had breakfast in the market hall again, more welshcakes and finally Indian street food at the taffy festival in the castle.
All in all very nice food, would eat again.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 17, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Mustafa's Gemüse Döner is overrated hipster poo poo. Better grab a bratwurst at curry 36 which is 10 m down the street and doesn't have a line of undernourished vegans that goes to the next block.

Also, if you are in Munich try Türkitch in Humboldtstraße (Near U-Bahn stop Kolumbusplatz. They have several kebabs that will rock your world.

Recommendation: Normal or Halloumi kebab with 50/50 Türkitch and special sauce.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Never been to Stockholm but 1 general tip for Sweden is to go for lunch. It is less expensive than dinner in general. Look for "dagens lunch" on the menu, that's the dish of the day basically. Some places also do lunch buffet.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Yellow Jesus posted:

Any recommendations for Munich? Spending the weekend there and we want to try some traditional bavarian food for atleast one meal and are open for anything for the others

If it's not too late:
- Weißes Bräuhaus near Marienplatz for genuine good Bavarian food, call and reserve a table though.
Other than that:
- Pussers New York Bar in Falkenturmstraße for Cocktails.
- In terms of Beer Augustiner or Tegernseer are best, stay away from Hacker, Löwenbrau or Spaten, they are not bad but they are the German equivalent of Bud and Coors and other run of the mill beers.
- If you want a really good doner kebab, you want to go to Türkitch at Ubahn stop Kolumbusplatz (U1 or U2), they have a range of options (meat, haloumni cheese, falafel, suczuk or köfte kebabs) and serve the best döner in town. I recommend the haloumi dürum.
- If the weather is nice, go to the beergarden at chinesischer Turm in Englischer Garten, it is a typical beergarden
- Takumi in Schleißheimerstr. (U2 stop Theresienstraße) is run by Japanese crew and has great Ramen, not cheap but a 12€ bowl will fill you up
- Ruff's Burgers at Rindermarkt (near Marienplatz) has some of the best Burgers in town if you need a quick bite while downtown
- Meyerbeer, also at Rindermarkt opposite Ruff's, is a coffee place that has better coffee and is less pretentious than Starbucks
- La Trattoria in Aidenbachstraße is a bit outside of downtown but a really good Italian place with decent prices, a favourite of my parents
- Check out Viktualienmarkt, there are a lot of stalls that offer snacks on the go of you are hungry while in town and it is only a short distance from Marienplatz (town centre)

Edit: Feel free to PM me if you have questions, I am not an expert on upscale dining but this is my hometown, I may be able to give you some tipps. And if I am in town and you are up for it, I may be able the show you around downtown, i have done it for goons before.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 9, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Since the NYC thread is archived and all reviews are from 2016...

I am going to NYC for 4 days, going into Manhattan for sight seeing every day.
We will be eating street food/quick lunches mostly to save time for other activities.
Plans so far:
Momofuku noodle bar for Ramen
Junior's in Grand Central for cheesecake

I would like recommendations for:
- a place near/on the Highline to have lunch in/pick up food for lunch to eat on the Highline (I assume there are benches etc?)
- places near/in Bedford-Stuyvesant (Quincy Street and Broadway, our closest metro is Gates Av) that have good breakfast
- a dinner location in Manhattan, dinner for 2, preferably <100$

Also, are the hotdogs at Grey's Papaya as good as they say? If so what is the best one to order?

EDIT: I am an idiot, shouldn't do math signs when I am tired. That was supposed to mean UNDER 100$ haha

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 6, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry I ment under 100 $ for dinner, I am half asleep and mixed the sign up. But thanks for taking the time to recommend that, we both love eating sushi/other exotic food but that's a bit too pricey. I will definitely check HAMA though, as we might do Top of the Rock anyway, so we will be around there. And Bibble and Sip are now on the list as well, I love all things Matcha and the GF will love those cream puffs, too.

Oh yeah: What's a good proper bagel shop? In Germany we only get mediocre bagels and I don't know what a traditional jewish style bagel would be like but want to find out.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 6, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I heard good things about the tearoom at Fortnum and Mason from a friend who works in a high class hotel in London.
I haven't had tea there myself, last time I went for afternoon tea was 5 years ago or so. But I had a look at the tearoom last year when I went to F&M to stock up on tea and it definitely looked very nice and they do both classic and high tea. It is on the pricey side though and I think my friend said they have a dress code.

You may need to reserve table some days in advance. But even if you don't go there for afternoon tea, the place is worth a visit. They sell all kinds of traditional English accessories and clothing, and their selection of loose tea on the ground floor is fantastic.

Are you from Britain? If not and you want to try a good pie I recommend finding a Pie Minister. It is takeaway/fast food but the pies are fantastic. They are all over the place.

Also a warning: Beware of Weatherspoons chain pubs they have drinks but their food is disgusting. I made the mistake once and my fish and chips was a square piece of frozen fish that was deep fried and looked more like a Mac McDonalds Apple pie. Don't eat at those chain pubs.

And in case you like Ramen: Kanada-Ya on St. Giles High Street is great.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 7, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately I can't help you there, I live in Germany, and since I spend all my free time exploring when in London I haven't been to a "proper restaurant" even though I have been there about 10 times now. I am more into local "street food" wherever I go.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

dead lettuce posted:

I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions for Berlin, Vienna, Salzburg, Fussen/Bavaria, or Munich! We'll eat anything, from food trucks all the way up to fancy restaurants.

Munich:

Weißes Bräuhaus for the best traditional Bavarian food, but must reserve at least 1-2 weeks up front. Located a 2 min walk from Marienplatz (two center).
Alternatively Augustiner am Dom right at Frauenkirche is good.
However, all Bavarian Restaurants should be a safe bet, I haven't been to any that were not good.
If they have it, I suggest Münchner Schnitzel, it is a Schnitzel with Dijon mustard and radish in the crust, tastes amazing.

Türkitch in Humboldstraße for the best Döner Kebap in town. I love the normal meat dürüm or if you are/like vegetarian try the haloumi dürüm or falafel dürüm. As for sauce: ask for a mix of Türkitch and Spezial sauces.

Takumi in Schleißheimerstraße is the best Ramen place in town. Run by an all Japanese crew and hugely popular. They don't do reservations and if you go for dinner, it is best to not go there before 8.30. There may be a short wait but it is worth it.

If you want a good burger, Ruffs Burgers at Rindermarkt.

The best beergarden in downtown Munich is probably the one at Chinesischer Turm in Englischer Garten or Hofbräukeller at Wiener Platz.

Also go to Platzl for Schubecks icecrem. The guy is overrated in my opinion but his ice cream is amazing. Especially the Litchi-pepper-something, can't remember the third ingredient, or Gurke (Cucumber)-Dill flavours.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Munich: I had a good time at the Augustiner Bräustuben. Landsberger Str. 19, 80339 München, Germany
It's an old beerhall that supposedly has been in operation more-or-less continuously for hundreds of years. It's not very big inside and I ended up sharing a table with a group of middle-aged Russians and the waitress' English extended to recognizing that my German was non-existant and finding me the English menu so I could point at what I wanted. I was there on a very rainy day in April, last year, and it was basically perfect for me then.

Somehow, and unfortunately I managed to avoid getting any recommendations from Hopper before my visit to Munich, but I survived. Listen to Hopper, he knows his stuff.

Thanks for the praise, I try my best. I strongly believe you can learn a lot about a country and its people by what they eat, however, I am therefore more interested and knowledgeable in everyday food than Michelin star dining.
Though I may soon be able to provide insight on Dallmayr's 2 star kitchen, as I have an outstanding invitation to go there in July or August.

As for Augustiner Bräustuben in Landsberger Straße, that is a very solid tip. I usually do not include it as it is a bit further from downtown and Augustiner am Dom is essentially the same.

Slight warning:
There is also Zum Augustiner directly in the pedestrian shopping mile Neuhauser Straße but I do not recommend that one any more. They have decided to only serve Käsespätzle on Mondays which is an unforgivably stupid decision when it THE traditional vegetarian Bavarian dish. This severely limits proper vegetarian options aside from "salad" and all the other vegetarian options (only one per day) are either not traditional or have an air of "we just left the meat out".

More Munich tips

A traditional Bavarian street food is Leberkässemmel, Schlemmermeyer on Viktualienmarkt has some of the best. If they ask you what you want on it say Süßen Senf (sweet mustard) do not go with hot mustard or god forbid ketchup.

If you like to try unusual things, there is also Pferdemetzgerei Kaspar Wörle on Viktualienmarkt near Schlemmermeyer. This is the only place that sells horse meat in Munich I know of. Horse meat is more popular in northern Germany, so if you go to the Cologne area you may get better and more choices there, but this one also has a daily snack like horse Currywurst or horse Gulasch as takeaway option. Over here horse meat is legal to sell and is regulated as strictly as if not stricter than beef.

A very cheap and tasty snack can be had at Kohinoor in Adolf Kolpingstraße near Hauptbahnhof. This is actually my Indian grocery store of choice but they also offer hot vegetarian Samosas at 1€ a piece at the counter. These are about palm sized and I usually get 2 as a snack when I am in the area as they are great to pick up and eat on the go.

Picnic in Barer Straße is great for vegan/vegetarian exotic food. This restaurant is run by a German with an all-Asian kitchen crew and they serve vegetarian/vegan Asian dishes like dals, curries etc. (They did offer addons like a chicken or lamb skewer when I was there.) I met the owner Markus in Thailand by coincidence when he was looking for new inspiration. We had a long talk about food and his idea behind the place is (in my words and severely condensed) to offer asian/asian-inspired vegetarian/vegan food as he believes we eat too much meat (which in Bavaria is definitely true, see our limited choice of vegetarian Bavarian dishes). However, he is totally not anti-meat nor a militant vegan. I decided to check his restaurant out when I came home and me and my friends were not disappointed. The dishes here are not inexpensive but not overpriced either.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 22, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am sitting at the airport waiting for my flight to Taiwan. We are doing 10 days of backpacking in Taipei, Kaohsiung, Tainan and Hualien (probably).

What are 3 dishes I should not miss? Since we don't have planned where we will be on what day, streetfood or walk-in places are ideal rather than booking a table. Also we don't have dress shirts etc with us.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 1, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Same for Munich, if anyone swings by, I can give you a short walking tour through downtown, I also have some food and restaurant recommendations, albeit more in terms if traditional/typical/street food rather than michelin star dining.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If you are willing to do a short trip you can take the Dart (commuter train) to Howth, takes about 45 mins, and there are a lot of great seafood restaurants there. I can recommend The Oar House (pun in the name obviously intended). I didn't know which restaurant to go to so I asked an old man who was fishing from the pier which one he would pick. Very nice fellow from "one village over", we chatted a bit and he heartily recommended them. The food was fantastic and the staff super friendly and attentive. They their chowder (normal not luxury) for a traditional treat.
Bonus is you get to see the sea and depending on when you get there you could do one of the cliff path walkways.

The Boxty House on Temple Bar also has traditional Irish food that I enjoyed.

Kimchi Hophouse in Parnell street close to the corner of upper O'Connell street is a fun amalgamation of a Korean restaurant and pub connected by a door in the wall. If the restaurant doesn't have seats left they seat you in the pub which also serves Korean beer. We really enjoyed the bibimbap. It's not a fancy dinner place though.

If you need a quick bite in town check out Boojum Burritos, they have 3 joints now I think and make fantastic burritos. There is one right near the Jamesons distillery in Millenium Walkway.

I only spent a few days there so I don't have more, sorry.

And here's a general advice: if you go early, manly places have early bird/pre-theatre menus which can make quite a price difference.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 17, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah definitely book a table. I came in and it was full, so I returned later at like 9pm and got a seat but I was on my own and late dinner suited me just fine.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
There's a fish restaurant right at the olympic harbour in the first building on the right wuen you get there. Had the set lunch there which was great and inexpensive. For 10.95 per/person we got a starter, main, desert and a drink. Cheaper and better than in downtown joints.

And there is a fun Tikki Bar on Diagonal called Kahala, good drinks.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 10, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Gonna try here and in the Japanese cooking thread:

We are going to Japan in 2 weeks and I would like to try Kaiseki in Kyoto. This seems a very expensive idea, judging from what I find on Google. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant where we would get away with 100$ per person or less? I just don't feel comfortable spending more on something I don't know whether we will enjoy it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
- Bavarian Pork Roast
- Auszogne (traditional doughnut like baked good)
- Kaspatzn/Käsespätzle, pasta like nuggets with cheese and the ultimate Bavarian winter/vegetarian dish
- Brezn, our original variety of Pretzel available at any bakery
- if you need a snack "Leberkässemmel", that's a bun with a thick slice of sausage like meatloaf, ask for "süssen senf " (sweet mustard) on it, you can get this at most butchers/some bakeries
- Obadzda, a Bavarian cheese spread made from camembert, onions, bellpepper powder and spices

And also have a Weisswurstfrühstück, a traditional Bavarian breakfast consisting of sausages, Brezn and a wheat beer.

I don't know Memmingen, but should you go to Munich, let me know and I'll have some places I can recommend.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 6, 2019

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Thanks. Stuttgart and Ulm are on the plan for tomorrow.

Well there is a place called "Zum Schatten" in Ulm that has the largest Schnitzel you will find. You would have to reserve a table though. Opens at 5 pm and kitchen starts at 6 pm. My advice is reserve for 5.30 at the latest so your orders are in early. Go for Riesenschnitzel but ask to get 2 sides instead of one and go with Salad and Käsespatzle as these sides. You will never finish it but it is awesome.

Google entry: https://www.google.com/search?q=zum...um%2520Schatten

Hopper fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 8, 2019

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Terrible recommendations:
Didn't try these, seemed like extremely basic stuff.
I mean, it's just a pretzel.
Tried several "traditional" pork roasts, wasn't impressed by any of them.
My sister defaulted to the vegetarian option, and her estimation dropped from "adequate" to :mediocre: as we kept running into it.
Went straight in the trash once everyone had a taste.

Next time you go abroad, just ask Google for the nearest McDonalds.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

I honestly don't see the point of a place to trade recommendations where you can't actually give feedback on whether said recommendations were any good.

Feedback is good and welcome.

However, this is feedback: Xander, I noticed the way you worded your post irritated and offended others and they might not value your opinion. Next time you provide feedback, remember that feedback should always be given with positive intent, should be objective and describe a characteristic/behaviour that can be observed and its effect or consequence.

Example:
The suggested Brezn and Auszogne are normal baked goods, since I was looking for proper meals rather than snack foods, I decided to not try them.

I understand why you thought they are simple, but Brezn and Auszogne are a very Bavarian thing. I have eaten pretzels in several countries, and they were never up to par. In Bavaria, we use dedicated Brezn ovens where only Brezn are baked in the typical lye coating, which means the entire oven over the years takes on a kind of patina of lye that results in a very unique taste. Of course this means a proper bakery Brezn not supermarket style.

I am also sorry to hear you did not like pork roast but then again, it is not for everyone. Bavarian food is very heavy, lots of meat, grains and potatoes because we are traditionally a farming country and people worked on the farms all day. Personally, I prefer my own homecooked pork roast because the limitations of restaurant cooking can't reproduce a fresh pork roasted on veggies (unless you want to wait 2 hours for dinner) but depending on where you end up, pork roast is still very good.

Fun fact: Pork Roast is also the traditional way you estimate whether a Bavarian restaurant is overpriced before entering. You look at the menu outside and if the roast is over a certain amount, you know the place is expensive. This was around 10€ for years, right now it is about 12€ iirc, but Munich is always more expensive than elsewhere.

Should you ever come to Munich I can point you towards some excellent Bavarian places that serve all kinds of traditional food besides pork and Käsespatzle, more "general" German restaurants as well as authentic Indian, Chinese, Israeli, Italian, Japanese and other places, depending on what you would prefer

It is always easier to recommend a good restaurant than a specific dish due to the varying quality you get, depending on the restaurant you end up in.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
A friend is going to Venice (Italy) on the weekend and asked if I had any recommendation food wise. Do you guys have any tips for central Venice? Could be street food or normal lunch/dining affairs. She is alone and doesn't want to do fine dining on her own.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Much appreciated, but she is only there for 3 days, I think this will do nicely.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am going to Milan for 1 day on Wednesday, arriving at Porta Garibaldi. Does anyone happen to have a tip for lunch or early dinner? Alternatively, what local dishes are a good choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So, me again. This one may be tricky.

Going to Singapore for 10 days on Saturday and wondering if there is any dish I should try that is usually not mentioned. Chili crab, chicken rice etc. is all well documented.

But do you know something Europeans often miss? Or small places we should go to that are not widely know but have great food? We plan to visit places all over the city, so chances are we can go almost anywhere except the most out of the way places.