Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

There's a big price range around downtown. If you're going to spend a bunch on a meal I've only had amazing meals at Boulevard. For more middle price range, Belden Alley has a variety of nice places with french style outside seating.
Great Eastern Restaurant is the best Dim-Sum I've had in Chinatown, but someone may know of better ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Oae Ui posted:

I'm staying near Monterey, CA for about a week. Anyone have any recommendations?

It's not cheap, but I had a very good meal at Passionfish over the summer.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

I'm going to San Francisco next week. Any suggestions? No shellfish, I'm allergic.

What part of the city are you staying in and how much do you want to spend? There are a ton of restaurants all over the city, and they usually have to be decent to pay the crazy rent.
Cioppino's the SF classic you'll miss, but it's not Dungeness season anyway.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

angor posted:

Goons, I need help!!!

I'm in San Francisco tomorrow night and need help deciding between Nopa, Boulevard, and Foreign Cinema.

I'm a vegetarian but my dinner buddies aren't. I think I'm leaning towards Boulevard but I'm not 100% sure.

I haven't been to Nopa or FC, but Boulevard is one of the best place's I've ever eaten. Never had any of the veggie dishes, but the vegetables sides have always been great.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I could use some recommendations for Sacramento. I realized I've been living here for over a year and never bothered really eating out. I have no preferences regarding food except that it be good to put in my mouf and will try anything once.

I've had really good food at Red Rabbit (modern american cuisine) and Dad's Kitchen (really good burger).
Last time I was in town I had some of the pizza from Federalist Beer Garden and it was a nice place to eat and drink. Zelda's Pizza is a fun old school style pizza joint that has really good deep dish, though I haven't been in a couple years.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Any places that are a must try on Maui or Kauai? I got a strong recommendation for Morimoto Maui so we're planning on doing one fancy dinner there but need some cheaper places to go to as well.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

That's a large area, so you'll want to narrow it down some and we have our own thread.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

La Victorias is oft hyped up taqueria that I remember being really good.
We have a bay area thread that may get you more recs

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Tiger posted:

I'm in San Francisco for a week, and my regularly scheduled programme has me free most of the evenings to choose where to get dinner. I'm a vegetarian, will reconsider this when abroad if circumstances force me or if something's a real specialty. I've been here once before like eight years ago, and I remember trying the clam chowder so I don't feel any particular need to try that, specifically. Otherwise I'm very green on both general US and CA food culture. Anything to be on the lookout for, any can't-miss?

Cioppino is the sea food stew that's unique to SF and might be worth breaking veg for.
Otherwise California cuisine is usually more vegetable forward than classic US cooking. You should have decent veg options at most place, and we have a lot of vegetarians around here and I think you can filter on Yelp for veg-friendly places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

therobit posted:

Me wife and I are going to San Francisco for Presidents Day weekend. We want to have one really nice (expensive) dinner and then whatever is cheap to reasonable and good along the way.

There's a lot of options for fine dining in SF, what's your version of expensive and do you have any cuisines in mind? On the flip side, prices for most other restaurants may seem high cause everything's more expensive here. Taquerias in the mission are usually good bang for your buck.