Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hopper posted:

I'll be in Cardiff for a total of 3 lunches and 3 dinners soon, any recommendations?
I'd prefer to have traditional Welsh once, the other times I don' t mind.

I was thinking of reserving a table at the Clink, because I like what they do with the inmates rehabilitation program, has anyone been there before?

Hopper posted:

Going to Cardiff in the soon to be Ex-EU tomorrow and need last minute food advice, already plan on going to the Clink for dinner but looking for takeaway/quick lunch stuff as I will be exploring the city all Thursday and half of Friday/Sunday. Good fish&chips would be nice, and maybe typical Welsh stuff.

Aw man, I feel super guilty that I didn't see this thread before with two people coming to Cardiff on this page alone. I hope you both enjoyed and would dig finding out where you went after if you're still reading this thread.

Ah just realized it was the same person twice! A return visit then?

What did you think of The Clink? I found the booking page was a bit broken when I went a year or so ago and I wasn't able to get the date I wanted on my attempted 2nd visit but I think it's great. Lots of pride taken in the food (the chef came up to me before I started eating to rotate the plate 90 degrees as he 'didn't put that much effort in for the server to mess it all up', ha), and the quality of it was excellent while being fairly priced. It's a very positive program and I hope it's helped turn a lot of lives around.

For others who go to the UK, you'll find the best fish and chips isn't going to be a sit down affair like Harry Ramsdens or one of the other chain places, but a side street, probably Greek run, greasy chippy. Even in the British themed pubs I've been to over here in the US I've only been served fish and fries, I do miss the real thing. The choice between curry sauce and gravy is in my past now.

City center has some good places, but I prefer venturing out as the majority of it is chain dining and not particularly interesting. City Road which leads on to Crwys Road both have tons of interesting places to eat, especially middle eastern and Indian. Some great, some awful. The other side of town is Canton which also has some good places and tends to run a bit more expensive as that's where the media types live. Not ideal for people only in town for a day or two, sadly, although nothing is far away and I think Uber is now running fine. Just stay away from Riverside at night and the whole place is generally pretty safe too.

Always make sure you get a good curry, of course. That's more traditional than cawl or any of the other welsh dishes I've never known anyone local to eat in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hopper posted:

That was me twice because I got no answer the forest time. Anyway, I did decide against the clink after all because I just did not have the time. I ended up walking from 9a.m. to 10pm on the only full day I was in Cardiff and decided to see more and skip the restaurant.
First night I arrived late and went to chippy lane for the the famous boneless curry chicken at Dorothy's...was that the name? Amazing stuff. The next day I ate breakfast in the market hall, had hotstone welshcakes, a hotdog at hogwurst, nitrogen icecram in one of the arcades and dinner at the grazing shed (lamb burger). Then I left for 2 days. I came back and had breakfast in the market hall again, more welshcakes and finally Indian street food at the taffy festival in the castle.
All in all very nice food, would eat again.

Ah rad, I know most of those places if I haven't had the pleasure of eating at them. I used to live quite close to Hogwurst but never got the opportunity. I found Grazing Shed underwhelming personally, but it might have been a bad day. Glad you had a good time!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you check out the Florida thread in LAN, the most recent pages have been pretty much nothing but Orlando rec’s for a dude who just moved there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032523