Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nopantsjack posted:

I wonder how much of it is basically people in the elite manufacturing "alpha" status for themselves. The whole alpha male idea is largely romanticised, watch any nature show and you see that whenever the alpha turns the other way the "betas" start mating with their harem.
Hell, "alpha" humans had to invent marriage and sexism essentially just to stop their mates giving birth to someone elses kids all the time.

Nowadays though you can manufacture this mostly mythological alpha human status with money and influence, you can screw who you want and ruin who you want so you must be a top dog right?

The alpha male is romanticized even in said nature shows. For example, people still think wolves are packs with alpha/beta males based on a flawed study from the 1940s conducted on wolves in captivity. Wolf packs in nature are actually family units, with the alphas being the parents and the betas being the kids. A few years after the kids are fully grown, they set off and form new packs of their own. Even in lions, "alphas" (a male who has been accepted by a female pride or has kicked out the previous male) only tend to keep that status for 2 years at best. Alphaness is not something inborn and alpha/beta dominance is not something anyone wants to try to emulate, cause it always ends in the alpha being overthrown or killed. Dominance theory in of itself is really dumb and does not reflect reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread