Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

Wait, how does this work?

The dude's rich, white and famous and thus can expect to get away with a lot of poo poo, leading to a huge sense of entitlement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

I just don't see how Assange fits, as (as far as I know) he was neither rich nor famous when he committed the act in question, though I may be mistaken as to either of those points, and even insofar as he was famous, he wasn't famous in the "elite circle that escapes the scrutiny of law" way.

The accusations against him came after the whole Colleteral Murder brouhaha and the release of the Afghanistan War logs, so Assange definitely was internationally famous at that point. On closer reflection he probably wasn't rich, though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

Right, but that's not really the kind of fame we're talking about, is it? If anything, that's the kind of fame that comes from antagonizing the "inclub of elites."

I just think it's a flawed thesis.

Eh, I'd say that fame is fame when it comes to getting away with bad poo poo. For example, a random joe schmoe would probably not have gotten away with rape by way of getting political asylum at an embassy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tsa posted:

You are right, it's a classic over-application of the model which you will often find ideologues doing. Male + White beeep booop equals privileged- it's the lefts particular brand of anti-intellectualism and identity politics.

Basically this statement boils down to "famous people get away with things" which is kinda like, duh? How exactly do you know how his skin color mattered and to what degree? You don't, you're just guessing based on your preexisting biases. This is the sort of anti-intellectualism I am talking about, the "gut feeling" type of thing we make fun of the republicans for.

I know because there's been quite a lot of research on the subject of whether skin color matters in the judicial system (and the court of public opinion, for that matter), and the results are pretty unambiguous. The rest of your post is just you being kinda dense on purpose.

But I suppose that this is where you retreat into anti-intellectualism because reality doesn't conform to your biases.

• Locked thread