Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I seriously want to see this man literally crucified.

God, how can this poo poo not get a bigger reaction, how can people like him not fear walking in the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

A big flaming stink posted:

yeah i think its been long enough for leftists to admit to themselves that assange did ignore his partners' consent.

hilarious timing though

the rich and powerful cannot be trusted, regardless of their espoused affiliation. Assange may like pissing of the US but he's part of the same incestuous inclub of elites that do poo poo like this.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

Right, but that's not really the kind of fame we're talking about, is it? If anything, that's the kind of fame that comes from antagonizing the "inclub of elites."

I just think it's a flawed thesis.

The elite circles of influence in the world aren't one monolithic entity, and you can get into one by antagonizing another. At a certain level of wealth, influence or even popularity, people begin to get isolated from the consequences of their actions, usually through the connections they make. Invariably this leads to abuses.

I will however recant on this though, looking more into it seems like it's more likely just run of the mill cultural sexism that might lead him to not conceiving of what he had done as rape.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Helsing posted:

He's right though. Suggesting Adsanbgr behaved the way he did because he is part of some "elite" or because he is white doesn't make very much sense.

Elites, especially white ones, get away with some heinous poo poo and that emboldens them but trying to take every case of sexual assault ever and then explaining it through race and class is silly. There are plenty of poor rapists of none European descent in the world.

Saying Assange did what he did because he is white or an elite makes you sound like a right wing parody of leftism.

I think there is an obvious connection between male privilege and Assange's behaviour but some of the other comments being made here are pretty drat silly.

I think I was getting him confused with Dominic Strauss-Kahn tbh :blush: I wasn't fully paying attention when I was posting and I think my brain connected something stupid. From reading, yeah, Assange doesn't fit, he probably did it but just because he didn't really think about where to draw the line, but I don't think he was being 'smeared' like Kim Jong Il was saying.

Nor do I think this is a smear campaign against Dershowitz, especially considering the record of his statements shows he has really hosed up views on women and victims of rape in particular, to say nothing of his contacts with people like Epstein.

• Locked thread