Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Thanatosian posted:

The man has spent his career abusing the legal system for the benefit of the super-wealthy. Actually guilty or not, I hope he gets raked over the loving coals. He loving deserves it.

Whatever he may or may not have done, I'm not sure this is an accurate representation of Dershowitz's legal career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Assange may like pissing of the US but he's part of the same incestuous inclub of elites that do poo poo like this.

Wait, how does this work?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Cerebral Bore posted:

The dude's rich, white and famous and thus can expect to get away with a lot of poo poo, leading to a huge sense of entitlement?

I just don't see how Assange fits, as (as far as I know) he was neither rich nor famous when he committed the act in question, though I may be mistaken as to either of those points, and even insofar as he was famous, he wasn't famous in the "elite circle that escapes the scrutiny of law" way.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Cerebral Bore posted:

The accusations against him came after the whole Colleteral Murder brouhaha and the release of the Afghanistan War logs, so Assange definitely was internationally famous at that point. On closer reflection he probably wasn't rich, though.

Right, but that's not really the kind of fame we're talking about, is it? If anything, that's the kind of fame that comes from antagonizing the "inclub of elites."

I just think it's a flawed thesis.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It's also a bit misleading to say that Assange "got away with it" , when he fled the jurisdiction until he was out of reach.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Have you been paying attention to police activity for the past, I don't know, 60 years against blacks? Or the prison population? Don't be so lazy with fancy stuff like "lefts particular brand of anti-intellectualism" when you don't even understand the context of white privilege.

Being white rocks. So does being rich.

Applying the United States's history of police abuse in and of minority communities to the case of a white Australian charged in a Swedish court and faced with extradition from the UK only to escape via asylum from Ecuador seems a bit off point to me.

This is also all a digression from the case at issue, though.

• Locked thread