Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zoux posted:

Because suicide is almost never made by a rational mind, but a sick one. It's one thing for a person with a terminal diagnosis to choose to end their lives with dignity, it's another for a healthy 20 year old with treatable depression to kill themselves.

I don't buy that. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21099039 I knew someone who killed themselves because they didn't want to face the drudgery of a life's work, two people possibly. I've thought about it routinely as an alternative to loneliness (which is not a sickness.) There's nothing inherently worthwhile about living for as long as possible. We tell ourselves these fictions about how such and such person must be tormented, must have been desperate but afraid to seek help etc to reduce the dissonance we feel from being overly attached to life. Sometimes people just get bored or the rewards from going on don't compensate the troubles.

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

RagnarokAngel posted:

That link doesn't work but I assume based on the title you're conflating "irrational" with "incapable of constructing a complex plan" which isn't the same thing. Depressed people are frequently capable of thinking complicated thoughts its the premises that are wrong. If anything they end up thinking too much and obsessing over the negative qualities rather than the positives.

And not to dishonor your friends memory but committing suicide because someone was bored with their job isn't indicative of a rational mind, even if it seems like they weighed their options.

I fixed the link. This guy was apparently incredibly methodical, so much so that I doubt he couldn't quantify what he stood to lose. He wasn't bored with his job he was daunted by the prospect of 40-50 years or ennui. Why is that irrational? Doesn't preference enter into it? He wasn't a father or custodian of a child or beholden to anyone. He simply put a bag over his head, opted not to leave a note and was done with it.

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 1, 2015

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

How can you get bored of being alive? It sounds as if you're talking about life as if it is some videogame you can turn on and off as you choose. If you're bored with your life why don't you change it? If you're lonely why don't you change it? Are you the elephant man? If you can put in the commitment to end your own life why can't you instead do something else? A whole lifetime of things you could have done gets snuffed out in the blink of an eye.
E: The dude in your link was apparently still young and was able to come up with probably one of the most disturbingly ingenious things I've ever seen. All that ability and focused dedication and yet he decides while he's still young that his life will always be the same forever and nothing will ever get better?

My problems are my own, as yours are yours, and I'd like to deal with them as I will.

" All that ability and focused dedication and yet he decides while he's still young that his life will always be the same forever and nothing will ever get better?"

or maybe he saw sufficiently far ahead that it doesn't stay better, or it doesn't get better enough, or that consuming so much in the way of resources should merit a base level of justification that he couldn't defend or didn't want to provide. It's firstly and ultimately a personal matter and I don't like the attitude that doesn't stop at telling the suicidal they're wasting something, but goes onto pressure and shame them into enjoying what the religious deem to be a gift. Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"There is no way you can determine how your entire life will be at 20 years old. "

There are cues all over the place, and most paths through life cross through what are considered to be the most worthwhile pursuits. Most travelers end up looking weary.

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 1, 2015

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
God no, don't call the police on me. Those 72 hour isolations sound harmless enough but they end up burying you in a mountain of debt.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phyzzle posted:

Also, choosing an eternity + 50 years of non-existence, for fear that an eternity is somehow not long enough(?), is an irrational choice. Just bad at math.

It would be eternity - 50 years. Those 50 extra years of oblivion are sought after. That wouldn't be an irrational choice to a person who prefers it. You're just being pedantic and overly empirical, though. You can't favorably compare 50 years of joy to 50 years of nothing, they're unlike units.

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 2, 2015

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Let's do an experiment.
You have 2 choices: 1. I can give you 1000 dollars right now, no strings attached or 2. I give you 10000 one year from now. What will you choose? If there are no extenuating or external circumstances that would make you favor one choice over another, which choice is the most rational?
This is the same thing as to ask whether you want to live another decade to find happiness or kill yourself now for immediate cessation of pain.

You can do this yourself.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was trying to be funny but apparently it didn't land. Rewards, enticement etc are irrelevant to a dead man. If you want to pull someone back from the brink use guilt or remind them of obligations e: or bargain for time. The decision to end your life is a simple one with relatively few variables, if you have to approach it like that. That's why I think there should be a strike system on how many times you can be put into medical detention and a legal means to go through with it, ala dignitas only broader.

v fine, with exemptions for minors

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 2, 2015

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
which gives me solace to know that suicides stigma will probably fade away, or at least be unable to enforce itself, naturally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jazu posted:

I don't give a poo poo about your nature if your nature sucks, and if you want to kill yourself, you think your nature sucks too.

That's a terrible attitude thats bound to result in all sorts of policies aimed at reeducation and compulsory conformity.

• Locked thread