Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I find having a professional who has insight and understanding into the way humans work who can help me understand myself and others (and in particular the ways that I view the world that I may not be aware of, core belief structures [the underlying beliefs that shape my human experience], patterns of behaviour, pulling apart situations) from another perspective is a fantastic asset. I see two psychologists, one as external supervision for my job (I work in mental health) and one for my private life and I find it invaluable. You can definitely work on some of the stuff you are aware of without a therapist, but it is quite difficult to delve into some of the hidden stuff because you will not be aware that it is even there as there are multiple levels of reasoning/emotion/beliefs that lead to the 'surface' choice.

@Tautologicus : There is an underlying level of trust that needs to be established between people in a therapeutic relationship for it to function, the guy whose job it is to assess you for the medboard isnt in the same relationship with you as a counselor/psych you are seeing who you build a relationship with. Asking is it the person or The Science - to me it is both, the mind functions on so many levels that finding approaches and people that gel with you is not an Or it is an And. We are all incredible multifaceted people, of course different bits work better for different facets of different peoples experience and understanding. I dont go to be a 'special snowflake', I go as a tool to understand myself more fully as an individual and as part of humanity. I also dont go to be rented back my dignity because there is no indignity involved. Shame is a weird thing because even talking about shame triggers more shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread