Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I only backed at the $20 level so I'd get the game + early access, but I bought the art book a la carte for another $20 and I'm so loving glad I did, because an art book for this game is going to be insane.

I'm regretting not backing at a level that gets me the exclusive class, though. I really hope they'll offer it as DLC later, but would that be a dick move to the backers?

What tiers give the exclusive class anyways? I backed at 95$ but I don't even remember what I get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I do love how much effort has gone into things such as the dialogue, as when stressed my Plague Doctor became irrational and started screaming about tiny small beings under glass making people sick. :v:

Also man when one guy goes their comments on other party members really ramp up the stress.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah the dialogue is great. I had my Vestal freak out and start yelling at the other party members to fight harder and stop loving up which made her less stressed but stressed everyone out way more. Luckily my Plague Doctor decided to be a hero and managed to hold it together which allowed me to complete the quest and get everyone out of there broken (everyone had 100 Stress except my Doc), but alive.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
So I had a kickass Vestal with some skills upgraded and surprisingly few mental illnesses. I sent her to pray, but then she decided to go on a vision quest or something. Is she gone forever, or will she be back at the wagon sometime in the future?

anatolehp
Jun 5, 2013
I've had a few characters go on quests and stuff, they did come back.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Xmas Dumpster Fire posted:

Saw this being played on GiantBomb last night and it looks fantastic, and ill be buying it on release day. A question I have, what are you working towards, what exactly is the end-game?
Holy poo poo, Brad. Why is your Highwayman in front of your Hellion!?

MotU posted:

What tiers give the exclusive class anyways? I backed at 95$ but I don't even remember what I get
$40 and up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

I'm still figuring everything out, but my #1 problem seems to be keeping my economy up. Losing all your items after a quest (failed or not) is rough. I get that it makes you careful about loadouts, but I think it devalues a well executed run.

I run out of gold pretty fast between de-stressing a couple characters and stocking up for the next run (even with upgraded buildings). I should probably max out the carriage for rookie count and then dismiss my super-stressed low-level fodder periodically.

Loving the game though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have yet to see a houndmaster or a arbalest in game, anybody else seen those? Probably not done yet.

Also it occurs to me that we don't have any standard wizard class. That's kinda lame. I'd love to have a black mage that's sadistic and yelling at all my other party members for how poo poo they are. :haw:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I have yet to see a houndmaster or a arbalest in game, anybody else seen those? Probably not done yet.

Also it occurs to me that we don't have any standard wizard class. That's kinda lame. I'd love to have a black mage that's sadistic and yelling at all my other party members for how poo poo they are. :haw:

Low fantasy setting (though there is a distinct lovecraftian emphasis) means that outright magic and such isn't really there.

Closest thing you've got is the occultist to a mage. Plague Doctor is just an rear end in a top hat with bombs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Which is better to upgrade first; armor or weapons? I only have enough deeds to do one right now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which is better to upgrade first; armor or weapons? I only have enough deeds to do one right now.

I like weapons because more damage = more control in fights. That said some of the scaling doesn't work. The vestal gets no bonus from her weapon so far and I've gotten one to level 3, this also carries over to her healing abilities not upgrading either so it's probably an oversight or a bug.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Geokinesis posted:

I do love how much effort has gone into things such as the dialogue, as when stressed my Plague Doctor became irrational and started screaming about tiny small beings under glass making people sick. :v:

Also man when one guy goes their comments on other party members really ramp up the stress.

I was watching some youtube LPs of this and I think the 40k style announcer is pretty hysterical. Can't wait for it on steam.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just personal preference, but the armor is nice just for that extra bit of health and dodge. I've had bad luck trying to stun lock, and clutch dodges have kept people running well past common sense.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Just personal preference, but the armor is nice just for that extra bit of health and dodge. I've had bad luck trying to stun lock, and clutch dodges have kept people running well past common sense.

I think it really varies from class to class. I really only up a weapon for an accuracy bonus, but armor is good all around (esp. for my frontliners like the Leper) for bonus HP and dodge rates.

Sooo many of my bad encounters have been from constant misses on dodgy little fucks.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kinda sad the weapon/armor system works like that, and not randomized loot like in other roguelikes. But I guess balancing becomes a problem then

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Was fighting the wizened hag and losing pretty badly, so I decided to retreat.

My Crusader was inside the pot at the time, and I didn't realize that would mean that he got left behind.

My best character :negative:

I'm really upset. If I'd known, I could have easily stalled a couple rounds and then retreated later. Nobody was on death's door yet, they were just all getting close.

Tried to go back to save him, but he's just gone. And now my whole party is gonna die. gently caress this.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 31, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What is the button for retreating a fight or leaving the dungeon? Because the first time I hosed up badly enough for the tutorial to try and tell me, I was too stressed to read it and just closed the screen to focus on the fight. I lost everyone.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lotish posted:

What is the button for retreating a fight or leaving the dungeon? Because the first time I hosed up badly enough for the tutorial to try and tell me, I was too stressed to read it and just closed the screen to focus on the fight. I lost everyone.

There is a flag symbol on your minimap to retreat during combat (has to be your turn, have to have control)

Edit: can't retreat during tutorial, and to abandon quest when out of combat is top left

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't watch these youtube videos, the players are horrible. Like, the tooltip says what it does! Read it! Ahhhhhh!

anatolehp
Jun 5, 2013
IMO armor upgrades are much better than weapon upgrades: they're the only way to avoid ennemy hits, therefore ennemy crits. And nothing fucks up a quest like ennemy crits.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

This Streamer Jan has almost completed the game, except Swine God and leveling all classes to 6. No Hype, just chill.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
This looks loving amazing.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ectoplasms are the worst and I hate them.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Shlapintogan posted:

Ectoplasms are the worst and I hate them.

Worse than the bandit AOE teams? I love starting fights with 3 bandits all hitting everyone in my team, inflicting bleed and possibly critting.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
There really are a whole bunch of enemies where, upon seeing them, you immediately think "oh no :gonk:"

Darkest Dungeon: Realistic Adventurer Simulator

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
This is the only game that has ever had me think "Oh man everything is going so well, I don't want to play anymore" because I know it is about to probably take a nosedive

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

clockworkjoe posted:

Worse than the bandit AOE teams? I love starting fights with 3 bandits all hitting everyone in my team, inflicting bleed and possibly critting.

Imagine a situation where the enemies can create an even bigger enemy and then a copy of themselves infinitely with no repercussions.

I had a fight go on forever and ruin an expedition into the weald because my setup didn't have enough crowd control, so I'd get the smaller ectoplasms close to dying, then they'd pop out another one with full health and I'd be back on square one. Pushing or pulling them into different positions doesn't stop them from using cytokinesis or whatever skill makes the bigger one, so there's no way to stop them from doing it other than killing them really, really fast. If there's even one left over at the end of a turn, you can practically guarantee they will split and make another one, or worse, make a big one with way more health that goes in the front, making it harder to kill the ones in the back.

The moral of the story is always bring tons of crowd control to the weald.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What does it take to get into this game? Steam says it's releasing EA on the 3rd of Feb for me.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Phobophilia posted:

What does it take to get into this game? Steam says it's releasing EA on the 3rd of Feb for me.

Wait until the 3rd of February. Getting in early was a backer reward.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What party composition has low damage and low cc? Just like, 4 vestals?

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

victrix posted:

I can't watch these youtube videos, the players are horrible. Like, the tooltip says what it does! Read it! Ahhhhhh!

Got any links? I only found one youtuber who has actually wiped yet (on the second dungeon no doubt). You know it's way more fun when they are getting wrecked than watching someone steamroll.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Small question, what is DOD?

Illumination on the Vestal inflicts -20 DOD, but I am not entirely sure what that does.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

jester in the back, just singing/buffing. vestal for healing. plague doctor for backup healing, curing bleeding/blight and shuffling positions. then take a pure buff melee like leper/crusader with just self buffs/heals/knockbacks.

You doing a challenge run?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

TheNabster posted:

Small question, what is DOD?

Illumination on the Vestal inflicts -20 DOD, but I am not entirely sure what that does.

DOD= dodge

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am sorry for bringing this up again, but I'd really like to start playing and joining the discussion.
I keep opening the game only to be greeted by a black screen; I hear the narration of the initial cutscene and if I push buttons on my keyboard I can interrupt it, but since I can't see the game I can't play. I get the impression that the game is running in the background and I just can't see it.
Putting it in window mode helped exactly once, and only up to my first visit in the hamlet, the graphics drivers on my card (which is a Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, even though I have NVIDIA Control Panel installed for some reason) are up to date and I don't know where else to look.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Dackel posted:

DOD= dodge

AKA "The best stat."

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Apple2o posted:

I was watching some youtube LPs of this and I think the 40k style announcer is pretty hysterical. Can't wait for it on steam.

After watching Gyoru's stream, I began to feel like the narrator was kind of grating. There just wasn't enough variety in the things it could say to really handle how often he was getting beat up at low levels.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am sorry for bringing this up again, but I'd really like to start playing and joining the discussion.
I keep opening the game only to be greeted by a black screen; I hear the narration of the initial cutscene and if I push buttons on my keyboard I can interrupt it, but since I can't see the game I can't play. I get the impression that the game is running in the background and I just can't see it.
Putting it in window mode helped exactly once, and only up to my first visit in the hamlet, the graphics drivers on my card (which is a Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, even though I have NVIDIA Control Panel installed for some reason) are up to date and I don't know where else to look.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/611696927918386895/

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Normal Adult Human posted:

I had a Hellion, a Leper, a Graverobber, and a Vestal. The damage problem was just numbers not being on my side, but I also had the wrong skill setup. I'm not going to pretend having such a hard time with the ectoplasms that one time wasn't at least mostly my fault. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Managed to beat a dungeon run with 3 people on deaths door from the start to the end of the last fight. Leper just kept taking hits and doing the regen up thing, the Graverobber got a clutch flashing knives double-crit and it was over. This game is awesome.