Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheNabster posted:

Small question, what is DOD?

Illumination on the Vestal inflicts -20 DOD, but I am not entirely sure what that does.

If you right click on a party member, you can see their character sheet, and if you mouse over any values it explains what they do.

DOD = dodge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Okay, yeah, just checked my Leper and he needs some serious time in the sanitarium. Lots of maladies have tanked his accuracy and my negligence has only let it get worse :v:

I love how even with all the stuff that the game throws at you, I haven't found many situations I would call wholly unfair. Sure, the game will stack the odds against you pretty often, but there's usually a way to work through it.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Those rabid dogs are assholes. Well, lots of things are assholes, but those fuckers were giving my dudes negative traits all the goddamn time.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

Managed to beat a dungeon run with 3 people on deaths door from the start to the end of the last fight. Leper just kept taking hits and doing the regen up thing, the Graverobber got a clutch flashing knives double-crit and it was over. This game is awesome.

Darkest Dungeon: The Highs are Very High and the Lows are Very Frequent

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So apparently those bandit Fusiliers have had their damage dropped. Hopefully this means bandits won't blend adventurers to pieces anymore.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm watching Brotatoe (what the hell?) playing right now....

Some of these twitch players are way too goddamn hype; this dude is like flailing around screaming over every move. I don't know how anyone could watch this crap for more than like 5 minutes.

Nemo2342 posted:

After watching Gyoru's stream, I began to feel like the narrator was kind of grating. There just wasn't enough variety in the things it could say to really handle how often he was getting beat up at low levels.

Ah, finally; gameplay without some autistic neckbeard superimposed over it. I will agree with you that they should probably tone the announcer down, like only a % chance for to say stuff instead of it just going off all the time. I skipped to like 20m in and the fight starts with his whole party eating a blanket shot crit; dudes got bad luck!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

Okay, yeah, just checked my Leper and he needs some serious time in the sanitarium.

Well he is a Leper :v:

Last 4 recruits were all occultists, so I picked them all and they went out as a full occult team. Tentacles everywhere and flesh warping healing, they did pretty well together although when facing more damaging enemies they were a bit too frail.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Apparently shift+click on a hero in roster removes him without a confirmation?

Jan beat all the bosses in EA, so now all that's left is grinding all classes to 6

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zaphod42 posted:

I have yet to see a houndmaster or a arbalest in game, anybody else seen those? Probably not done yet.

Also it occurs to me that we don't have any standard wizard class. That's kinda lame. I'd love to have a black mage that's sadistic and yelling at all my other party members for how poo poo they are. :haw:
Not having a standard "I cast fireball" wizard type is a very very good thing, in my opinion.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Shlapintogan posted:

So apparently those bandit Fusiliers have had their damage dropped. Hopefully this means bandits won't blend adventurers to pieces anymore.

Thank god, they were pretty gnarly.

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a real use for the Jester or the Graverobber? I keep trying to use them but they haven't really shined like the other classes, which is a shame because i rather like them. I've tried abusing their position shifting with the Crusader's Holy Lance, but that's kinda all I can come up with. Other than that, Jester seems like a jack-of-all trades that doesn't really make an impact, and the Graverobber is a weaker Highwayman w/Blight.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dackel posted:

Apparently shift+click on a hero in roster removes him without a confirmation?

Jan beat all the bosses in EA, so now all that's left is grinding all classes to 6

I thought he hosed up on the swine boss. The big aoe is something he uses when you hit the little guy, your heroes even yell out "DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!" and when its dead he does nothing but the aoe attack. But I guess he was right and you can just abuse deaths door with aoe heal's (if your vestal doesn't get stunlocked).

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a real use for the Jester or the Graverobber? I keep trying to use them but they haven't really shined like the other classes, which is a shame because i rather like them. I've tried abusing their position shifting with the Crusader's Holy Lance, but that's kinda all I can come up with. Other than that, Jester seems like a jack-of-all trades that doesn't really make an impact, and the Graverobber is a weaker Highwayman w/Blight.

To get the most out of the jester you have to place him in the back line when fights start and use his party buff, it gives a bunch of accuracy and I think either damage or dodge, then he can use his attack to jump to the front line on his next turn. I don't think he's any good in the ruins though, undead don't bleed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, the guy killing all the bosses hit the little guy, and the boss responded by immediately critting the whole party for like 30+ damage and didn't stop after he finally killed him.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Watching that streamer from yesterday, apparently this:

is a thing. I hope its actually ingame somewhere, just... innocently. :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My Leper has Godfearing and Witness. The first means he'll only use Prayer to reduce Stress, the other...stops him from using Prayer.

I guess it's time for the Sanitarium!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

So apparently after lv3/4 you have over 100% natural Death Blow resistance. Tested this with Jan in the stream and his Vestal with 107% resistance stayed at death's door forever.

Dev tweeted that it could be a bug and they are looking into it. Is anyone else actively playing this and has reached over 100% resistance? You gain +10% per level I think and you start at 67% iirc

I don't own the game, so I can't test it myself

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Holy cow those slime monsters are the most annoying mother fuckers. Three fights of nothing but, and the last one killed my plague doctor while I was trying to get to a room that turned out to have nothing in it. :(

edit: What consequences are there for fleeing a fight? Stress from defeat? Or do you lose stuff you've collected? Chance of failure that can get you killed?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 1, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

drat, make sure you always have a shovel with you. I've never regretted buying one.

MotU posted:

This is the only game that has ever had me think "Oh man everything is going so well, I don't want to play anymore" because I know it is about to probably take a nosedive
I just finished two really good runs where the stress levels were kept well under control and none of my party members took much damage, and now I'm out of the hole and have some gold to spend. I'm going to just quit for a little bit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Adventurer perks that reduce stress damage are amazing at keeping things under control. Anyone I've taken on a dive who hasn't had one of those for the area in question has been crazy by the halfway mark, but those with them are usually in complete control throughout.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How feature complete/how much replayability does this game have in its current state? Just reading the stories its incredibly tempting to pick it up on Tuesday, but I usually exhaust a game in 1 period of playing it, and rarely ever go back, so I may want to hold off until there is more content.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there any way to see turn order ala HoMM or is it random to an extent?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megasabin posted:

How feature complete/how much replayability does this game have in its current state? Just reading the stories its incredibly tempting to pick it up on Tuesday, but I usually exhaust a game in 1 period of playing it, and rarely ever go back, so I may want to hold off until there is more content.

Its pretty good, its got the roguelike thing going for it so if you enjoy it enough it could be immensely repayable. But its hard to say how much fun you'll have with it, you could just not like it or find it too stressful or something. :shrug:

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any way to see turn order ala HoMM or is it random to an extent?

I don't think so. They need to add a little more information IMO, like you don't know (as far as I know) when hunger is suddenly going to kick in and require food. It'd be nice to have a building bar.

I mean, turn order is random. You have a speed stat which gives you a bonus, but it changes each round for each hero/enemy. But you could still show the order after it rolls each turn... but maybe not knowing is part of the challenge.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Megasabin posted:

2 dungeons are still locked, 4 classes are not yet in EA (Houndmaster, Man-at-Arms, Merchant, Arbalest) with more being teased at. Those 4 will make it into EA at some point or another. EA is supposed to run for 6 months. That's just from what I could tell from their twitter replies

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think so. They need to add a little more information IMO, like you don't know (as far as I know) when hunger is suddenly going to kick in and require food. It'd be nice to have a building bar.

I mean, turn order is random. You have a speed stat which gives you a bonus, but it changes each round for each hero/enemy. But you could still show the order after it rolls each turn... but maybe not knowing is part of the challenge.

Hunger is supposed to be a random event, not some hidden bar that decreases. Although it's set to not go off for some time after entering a dungeon or camping.

The Initiative UI is something I can't understand not being ingame. It's really just a quality of life thing. Especially if you're bad at remembering who already went, who was stunned this turn or is going to recover from it the next turn instead, etc

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Megasabin posted:

It as about 4 dungeons with 4(ish) repeating mission types. As far as replayability goes this is totally an x-com type game where you'll probably play it a ton if you like the dungeon diving and combat and messing with party composition.

As far as feature completeness I think the only thing missing is the final dungeon and 6 of the classes. I'm 7 hours in and I'm not even comfortable enough to try another dungeon (to be fair I started over a few times after losing some key members) so for my money it's easily worth $20.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 1, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reasonably sure the dungeons themselves are merely consistent themes on randomized layouts/contents

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lotish posted:

The Adventurer perks that reduce stress damage are amazing at keeping things under control. Anyone I've taken on a dive who hasn't had one of those for the area in question has been crazy by the halfway mark, but those with them are usually in complete control throughout.

The other secret weapon for controlling stress seems to be Stun attacks. If the enemy is kept stunned, it doesn't do all the things that raise your stress, and you can sit back and rack up critical hits and use other abilities that heal your stress. The Plague Doctor's blinding attack is great for this, as is the Vestal's dazzling light and the crusader's stunning blow.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wish there was more reasoning behind when your party decides to get hungry. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes I can clear an entire (short) dungeon without a single hunger attack, and other times they seem to get hungry every time they step into a new hallway.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lotish posted:

I wish there was more reasoning behind when your party decides to get hungry. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes I can clear an entire (short) dungeon without a single hunger attack, and other times they seem to get hungry every time they step into a new hallway.

Yeah, I hate this too. I wish we just got a meter so we could just be done with it. It sucks being punished because you randomly had to expend 4 rations 3 times in a short dungeon run.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a real use for the Jester or the Graverobber?

Pair the Graverobber with a Highwayman. Highwayman Point Blank Shots for extra damage + knockback and moves back one, then Graverobber Shadow Fades stunning an enemy, gaining +20% dodge, and puts the Highwayman back in place. Repeat.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So there's no way to play this until the 3rd right? No vpn hacks, or ordering directly from a place because 30 minutes ago I never knew this game existed and now I really wanna play.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It also looks to me like Occultists pair with Bounty Hunters well, because the former can use an ability to mark a target, while the latter has a move that does double damage to marked targets. Bounty Hunters also seem to have a naturally good crit chance--or maybe mine's just great that way, because while his crowd control abilities can be hit or miss, if he starts chopping, heads roll.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

RightClickSaveAs posted:

drat, make sure you always have a shovel with you. I've never regretted buying one.

I've sure as hell regretted not buying two though. Shovels, food, and torches: the rest is gravy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Lotish posted:

It also looks to me like Occultists pair with Bounty Hunters well, because the former can use an ability to mark a target, while the latter has a move that does double damage to marked targets. Bounty Hunters also seem to have a naturally good crit chance--or maybe mine's just great that way, because while his crowd control abilities can be hit or miss, if he starts chopping, heads roll.

Bounty Hunter, Hellion and Occultist made up a great team for me. Stick anything you want in the last slot and it will do fine. Vestal for extra healing, Doctor for CC, Jester for some buffs or stress relief. My Bounty Hunter and Hellion were mowing things down and the Occultists Heals + Pulling did a ton to mitigate damage

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Can people give me some advice on how to mitigate stress damage? I've got people going bugfuck insane all the time, and I can't figure out how to mitigate the damage.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

maniacripper posted:

So there's no way to play this until the 3rd right? No vpn hacks, or ordering directly from a place because 30 minutes ago I never knew this game existed and now I really wanna play.

It's only available for backers and content creators atm. Early Access for everyone else isn't that far off though.

I really wish I backed this game :( I always decide not to back games. Hindsight...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You could hang out in streams where they're doing key giveaways!

Or I guess you could make friends with someone who backed it and got an extra key or two for it.

That's the best I have, sorry.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can people give me some advice on how to mitigate stress damage? I've got people going bugfuck insane all the time, and I can't figure out how to mitigate the damage.

-stress damage traits/buffs/equipment, crits, kill them before they kill you (ikr...), if unable try stunning instead, get good at DOD

It gets easier once you get higher ranks from what I can tell. I should really stop watching streams of this, I'm going to spoil the game for me

odiv posted:

You could hang out in streams where they're doing key giveaways!

Or I guess you could make friends with someone who backed it and got an extra key or two for it.

That's the best I have, sorry.

Been watching streams all day, but I prefer to do the quiet/actual gameplay ones and not the super hype ones that advertise key giveaways in title

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's some good combos really. Two Crusaders with Holy Lance at the front will let you wax ranged assholes incredibly fast (have the one in back lance, moving him to the front, then the next one follows up with the same) when paired with an Occultist or Plague Doctor with the appropriate skills while giving you two tanky dudes to suck up hits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lotish posted:

My Leper has Godfearing and Witness. The first means he'll only use Prayer to reduce Stress, the other...stops him from using Prayer.

I guess it's time for the Sanitarium!

That's when I just dismiss the buggers, at least if they're still level 1.

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's been working for me is a few things:

1) empahasize stuns, so that the opponent doesn't have a chance to do things that raise your stress. Plague Doctor's blinding gas attack is very good for this, as is the Vestal's dazzlign light and the Crusader's stunning blow.

2) KEEP YOUR TORCH LIT. You want to keep your torch above 75 at all times. Lower torch = you get surprised and brutalized + you suffer more stress when it happens because low torch. High torch and you surprise them and get a bunch of free attacks which help lower your stress (as you get crits etc).

3) If (when) despite all that your guys go over the line and snap and get a bunch of negative quirks, don't be afraid to ditch them, especially at low levels. It's not worth sending a level 1 crusader to the sanitarium; dismiss and replace him with a new recruit. Improve your adventurer wagon so that you get a good selection of newbies and can churn for good ones.

EDIT:

Before I go and lose a party facing the swine prince, what tactics do you need for him? I don't want major spoilers, just don't want to repeat the situation with the hag where I went into it blind with a party full of short range melee damage.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the crusader supposed to be a straight-up visual homage to oscar from dark souls because that's all i've been able to see them as

e: like i'm 100% ok with that, i'm just curious if it is intentional

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 1, 2015