Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Before I go and lose a party facing the swine prince, what tactics do you need for him? I don't want major spoilers, just don't want to repeat the situation with the hag where I went into it blind with a party full of short range melee damage.

Don't hit his little buddy, at all, until the Prince is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Before I go and lose a party facing the swine prince, what tactics do you need for him? I don't want major spoilers, just don't want to repeat the situation with the hag where I went into it blind with a party full of short range melee damage.

If you have stun resist, use it.

Swine Royalty love their butler Wilburt.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dackel posted:

If you have stun resist, use it.

Hah, wilbur like wilbur the pig from charlotte's web? Nice.

Where does stun resist even come from? Trinkets?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing I haven't seen people mention: Buffs/Debuffs will stack with themselves. So if you use something that grants +20% protection twice, you'll have 40% protection rather than just refreshing the duration (I'm not sure if each stack is on a separate timer or if it gets globally refreshed with each application though). This property is one thing that makes the Jester's buffs/debuffs really effective, because they apply to everyone at once.

Positional control is really helpful in the game too. Enemies don't have a basic "move" ability, so generally if you pull a ranged guy into the front ranks, he'll be stuck there using his much lower damage melee attack. Or even better, a few tough melee enemies don't even have a ranged attack at ALL (like the big skeletons with the shield), so if you bump them to the back ranks they just sit there passing their turn until you kill enough guys in front of them to bring them up again.

I wish you could heal with items besides using food, though, since without a combat healer character it seems like you just get screwed in dungeons longer than "short". I mean a lot of characters do have some kind of healing ability, but most of them aren't particularly good for anything other than bringing yourself out of death's door for another round. Being able to build up a buffer outside of combat without camping would be very useful.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I haven't seen people mention: Buffs/Debuffs will stack with themselves. So if you use something that grants +20% protection twice, you'll have 40% protection rather than just refreshing the duration (I'm not sure if each stack is on a separate timer or if it gets globally refreshed with each application though). This property is one thing that makes the Jester's buffs/debuffs really effective, because they apply to everyone at once.

If it's anything like bleeding they are all on their own timer, as you can see bleed damage per turn go up if you stack it and then down once you stop

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tollymain posted:

is the crusader supposed to be a straight-up visual homage to oscar from dark souls because that's all i've been able to see them as

I can imagine that it is.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's sounding like I'm going to hope for more content in the longer run (there are, what, six dungeon types plus the final planned?), but as it stands I'm still pretty stoked for Tuesday.

Or maybe Thursday, depending how this week shakes out workwise.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
3rd cant come soon enough only put 15 towards the game so i have to wait for the actual release :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

2) KEEP YOUR TORCH LIT. You want to keep your torch above 75 at all times. Lower torch = you get surprised and brutalized + you suffer more stress when it happens because low torch. High torch and you surprise them and get a bunch of free attacks which help lower your stress (as you get crits etc).

This has made the biggest difference in my play. Buying tons of torches and keeping torch light level at the highest bracket religiously keeps everybody in good spirits throughout the crawl. If you let it get too dark, you start missing like crazy and your stress goes up super fast, and once you've got maximum stress bad things happen.

I downed the Swine Prince or whatever his name was without too much trouble, so I'm feeling pretty badass. Getting some much higher level quests now, afraid to try them.

Still reeling from losing my Crusader to the Hag lady boss. Not quite sure how to approach that fight other than just having high level armor and weapons so you can kill her FAAAAST. Because god drat her mechanic is brutal.

Where does stun resist even come from? Trinkets?

Yep. Trinkets can do some pretty powerful things. That building that sells them just sold me an amazing one. It cost me 6K gold, heft price, but it gives you a massive DOD bonus if you're above 75% health or below 25%. That's fantastic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there any advantage to having a low light level? Like, you have a better chance of finding treasure or you gain more exp or anything? Or is it solely a "Torches are expensive/limited" thing?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AnonSpore posted:

Is there any advantage to having a low light level? Like, you have a better chance of finding treasure or you gain more exp or anything? Or is it solely a "Torches are expensive/limited" thing?

There is. If you mouse over the torch bar it'll show you the current effects. Higher light gives a chance of scouting ahead and surprising enemies. Lower light level gives more treasures.

It seems really risky in practice. Certain trinkets or quirks can make you more effective at low light level, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lower light also boosts your chance to crit - at 0 you get a +6% bonus which is pretty huge.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Started a fresh game after some serious blundering about and misunderstanding how things work in my first game and things have been going more smoothly.

Found the Apprentice Necromancer and defeated him just by the skin of the party's teeth.

I'm a little worried that the available quests are mostly level 3 or level 5 and my characters are mostly level 1 and change. Feels like I'm going to be in for a rough time soon...

Above: The Apprentice Necromancer menaces the party with his dread grocery list and skeletal minions. He was tough, but not tougher than our bold (and paranoid and cowardly and despairing) adventurers.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 1, 2015

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
This game looks seriously amazing, can't wait to try it.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Well, I found a helpful exploit: in a medium or large dungeon set-up, if you go to the loadout menu and leave, the game apparently registers the firewood as sold back and gives the respective 500 or 1000 gold, depending on the length. Kinda killed the longevity of the game, but I still got my rear end kicked. Hope they fix this soon. So far, it's been a hell of a romp and I can't wait to see what the cove will have! Maybe some black lagoon pirates... :kraken:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm a bit confused here. Is the game semi-sandbox in that you can pick and choose what to do, upgrade the town etc etc, or is it more linear than that? I can't seem to find a particularly clear explanation for how a normal game progresses.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Positional control is really helpful in the game too. Enemies don't have a basic "move" ability, so generally if you pull a ranged guy into the front ranks, he'll be stuck there using his much lower damage melee attack. Or even better, a few tough melee enemies don't even have a ranged attack at ALL (like the big skeletons with the shield), so if you bump them to the back ranks they just sit there passing their turn until you kill enough guys in front of them to bring them up again.

This is correct. The Apprentice Necromancer did a number on me for this very reason: I should have brought some Occultists to pull him from his skeleton horde. A Leper, an Highwaymen and two vestals are not the proper party to tackle him, I'll tel you that much.
I lost my Leper in that battle, which is a shame because Lepers are pretty awesome. They have lots of self buffs, and I get the impression that given a turn of two of preparation he could become just this side of unstoppable.

I am worried that the number of low level mission grows smaller and smaller, and I fear that at one point of another I am going to have to send some greenhorns against menaces they cannot handle.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 1, 2015

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash

paradoxGentleman posted:

This is correct. The Apprentice Necromancer did a number on me for this very reason: I should have brought some Occultists to pull him from his skeleton horde. A Leper, an Highwaymen and two vestals are not the proper party to tackle him, I'll tel you that much.
I lost my Leper in that battle, which is a shame because Lepers are pretty awesome. They have lots of self buffs, and I get the impression that given a turn of two of preparation he could become just this side of unstoppable.

I am worried that the number of low level mission grows smaller and smaller, and I fear that at one point of another I am going to have to send some greenhorns against menaces they cannot handle.

You'll always have at least one Level 1 mission available.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm a bit confused here. Is the game semi-sandbox in that you can pick and choose what to do, upgrade the town etc etc, or is it more linear than that? I can't seem to find a particularly clear explanation for how a normal game progresses.

It seems pretty sandboxy. You have 4 (currently three) dungeons which you dispatch parties to to farm resources which you spend in the down to upgrade your facilities. Do enough missions in a dungeon and a boss raid opens up. I presume that once all of the bosses are dead (three per dungeon according the goal checklist you get) the final 'darkest dungeon' opens.

This is just from a few hours play though. There could be bottleneck or plot missions later on, similar to x-com.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Apple2o posted:

Ah, finally; gameplay without some autistic neckbeard superimposed over it. I will agree with you that they should probably tone the announcer down, like only a % chance for to say stuff instead of it just going off all the time. I skipped to like 20m in and the fight starts with his whole party eating a blanket shot crit; dudes got bad luck!
That next fight was even better. Main highlight being his frontliner refusing to be healed and pretty much starting a downward spiral of misery for the party. :allears:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Hey, whoever said to burn books? Thanks, I just got an event from that which gave my Leper 100 loving stress. Immediately after camping, where I used half of my actions to get his stress down to 0.

Through relentless abuse of stress-relief combat abilities (Bard's Inspirational Tune and Leper's shield-icon ability) I was able to get it back down to zero before I left the dungeon, but I had to make one fight go 10 rounds and another go 8 to do it.

What I'm saying is: Don't burn books.

Edit: Afterwards, my Jester got the trait 'Hatred of Humanity'... which is apparently positive? I love this game.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 1, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Hey, whoever said to burn books? Thanks, I just got an event from that which gave my Leper 100 loving stress. Immediately after camping, where I used half of my actions to get his stress down to 0.

Through relentless abuse of stress-relief combat abilities (Bard's Inspirational Tune and Leper's shield-icon ability) I was able to get it back down to zero before I left the dungeon, but I had to make one fight go 10 rounds and another go 8 to do it.

But why else would the option be there! There must be something good involved.

Think Giant Alien Spiders in FTL! What could possibly go wrong?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Edit: Afterwards, my Jester got the trait 'Hatred of Humanity'... which is apparently positive? I love this game.

No no no, don't burn the books. Burn the piles of parchments. Free disability removal, but they're quite rare.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SO, uh.

This game doesn't gently caress around.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Nope, and I love it.

I kickstarted this and finally got a chance to play a couple hours today. Had a few really close calls, only lost one party member so far. The characterization of the different party members is fantastic and really fits the atmosphere of the overall game world.

My favorite thing so far was during a room battle with some really tough enemy humans they landed a crit on a party member, pushing my Vestal's sanity to the brink... and she called on her faith and inspired the rest of the party, finding courage in the damnable ruins. My next two characters scored solid hits and swung the battle strongly into my favor from what could've been half a party wipe or worse.

What a fantastic game.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

No no no, don't burn the books. Burn the piles of parchments. Free disability removal, but they're quite rare.

I don't know that, I've been reading the parchments for the maps and free scouting from them. Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed that occasionally you can't find a trap to disarm despite it having been scouted on the map? I'm not sure whether to call it a bug or just another stress inducing aspect.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I definitely lost my highwayman during the tutorial and haven't found another yet, while my Crusader was maxed out on stress and on death's door. It was pretty fantastic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Unwise_Cashew posted:

I don't know that, I've been reading the parchments for the maps and free scouting from them. Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed that occasionally you can't find a trap to disarm despite it having been scouted on the map? I'm not sure whether to call it a bug or just another stress inducing aspect.

I've only ever gotten bad events from reading books and interacting with most things. Altars are an exception and will often give you stuff like a 20% damage buff, but piles of books or occult scrawlings I leave the gently caress alone.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so every stream I've watched, they walk into two rooms and are at 100 stress

how are you supposed to get through these dungeons below 100 stress?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Are they letting their torches go down or are they bringing the heroes in at high stress levels already?

Or are they just getting unlucky in fights?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

I'm about 9 weeks into my new game and have not had anyone hit 100 Stress yet. They are either getting extremely unlucky, playing for the first time, or just plain bad.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's a few enemy types that will raise stress with their primary attack. Once one party member is at 100 (after 2-3 rounds if you're moderately unlucky) it quickly panic spirals.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Eonwe posted:

Take 8 torches for a short dungeon and 12+ for the longer ones. Never let the light go below two bars. Always focus fire on enemies with stress-inflicting attacks above anything else. Female cultists and skeleton courtiers are your worst enemy.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MotU posted:

I'm about 9 weeks into my new game and have not had anyone hit 100 Stress yet. They are either getting extremely unlucky, playing for the first time, or just plain bad.

My guess is they don't invest enough into stress relief because they keep pushing their "main party" to the limits. The game gives you enough lv1 missions for a reason

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I've only ever gotten bad events from reading books and interacting with most things. Altars are an exception and will often give you stuff like a 20% damage buff, but piles of books or occult scrawlings I leave the gently caress alone.

I'd agree that the books/bookshelves are universally bad, but i've picked up Hatred for Humanity twice off the occult scrawlings in the Warrens which in my mind balances out the sanity cost.

Eonwe posted:

If they're going in already stressed they're pretty much screwing themselves. Also, they may not be bringing shovels, hand digging through rubble is around 20 stress and some torchlight, which is all bad news.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MotU posted:

I've had, after an hour and a half, not had a single successful expedition. I have yet to get more than 3-4 fights in without a string of crits, quirks, and death's door bringing a large part of my party up to 100 stress. That stuff feeds on itself like whoa.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

S.J. posted:

I've had, after an hour and a half, not had a single successful expedition. I have yet to get more than 3-4 fights in without a string of crits, quirks, and death's door bringing a large part of my party up to 100 stress. That stuff feeds on itself like whoa.

Are you constantly refreshing torches and using Stuns against the enemy? My first game I had like 8 guys at 100 stress after 3 weeks but once I realized what the troublesome enemies were (Skeleton Courtiers, Female Cultists, Anything with a Bow or Gun while in the back row) and that high torchlight is necessary for the early game it was a lot smoother sailing. Also that Leper/Hellion/whatever/Occultist is an awesome combo.

If you have traits that give you +Stress Damage, especially ones that are for an entire dungeon, it is worth the trip to the Sanitorium if you are using that dude long term. +20% from everything in a dungeon is huge

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Good news! Bandits with the rifle (those bastards that can fire a broadside at all your party) have been adjusted, according to the dev twitter.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

ZeusJupitar posted:

Take 8 torches for a short dungeon and 12+ for the longer ones. Never let the light go below two bars. Always focus fire on enemies with stress-inflicting attacks above anything else. Female cultists and skeleton courtiers are your worst enemy.

Isn't there some thing about letting your light levels tank for big loot though? Everyone spamming torches might just be fun-hating babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have the feeling the best use for low light levels is disposable newbie missions while you're getting your long-term people up to strength after bad runs of luck