Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

leftist heap posted:

Those deaths door changes are weird. I also like random inn heroes.

Agreed. Deaths door on enemies was divisive but I don't think this is the best or only solution.

For instance, with cadavers and a few other enemy types, their DBR was already 5%. So virtually all of the time this just means they need an extra hit on deaths door. For bosses like Exemplar you can still plan around it or just brute force it-but on average it's really just a more opaque equivalent of a boss having another 50hp or whatever.

Instead of changing it to tokens, they should have just developed more counters. More skills that act as 'finishers'. One idea I had was to adapt some corpse clear skills to also have this effect as a kind of 'coup de grace'

Purge (if no blind tokens present) : Also does Deathblow check on enemies on DD. Situational but helpful when you can yeet all the trash aside to get that backliner in chopping range.

Daemons Pull (if 2 power tokens) : Also Deathblow check on enemies on DD. Usually more cost effective to stun 2X with abyssal artillery in this scenario instead of a single stun+pull, this gives Daemons Pull a more unique utility as you could kill multiple targets at once and stun one.

As some simple examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Wheeew. Just beat the Act 3 boss by the skin of my teeth with Vestal/PD/Runaway/Hellion. Didn't even really expect to get to the boss, was mostly trying to beat the Shroud lair boss. Ended up winning with only the Runaway left, on death's door, and the boss dying from a small burn tick right as it was about to do its big attack again. Only took two tries! Honestly it was easier than I expected, although still kind of bullshit.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just cannot get enough of this game (DD1). My heroes are leveling out of Veteran range so I finally did the second Farmstead mission last night and it was more difficult than the few Champion dungeons I've done so far. Are the enemies randomized in Farmstead missions, or scripted at least in the first two non-Endless missions? I ran into three Unclean Giants in a row and they almost wiped my party out with treebranch after treebranch. My party of Vestal, Jester, MaA, Crusader just didn't have the burst damage or DoT to take them down very quickly, not to mention I had a hard time getting around any PROT. Battle Ballad basically saved my bacon. I love the Crusader but I find the MaA to be fairly meh. Doesn't do enough damage and his buffs and debuffs just don't seem to move the needle a whole lot. I also don't get the love for riposte, since it seems to do little damage, marks him, and only procs if he's the one targeted. I know I can combine it with Guard but it's just not clicking for me.

So far, the Champion dungeons have been extremely challenging and I practically have to take a break after each battle. I imagine this won't change, though getting some of my heroes from level 5 to 6 should. I'm finally getting over the hump money-wise and built the bank, but it feels odd to forgo heirlooms even though the Hamlet is mostly upgraded. Still need to do the stress-relief buildings though the Puppet Theater I built has more or less eliminated the need for stress reduction as I rotate parties. Sanitarium is sure getting a workout, though. I wish perming skills wasn't so drat expensive, and I also wish I knew that perming skills gets more expensive at higher levels.

Any advice for Champion dungeons outside of making sure my party comp is good for the region I'm in and I'm running the right trinkets?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Make sure your heroes have maxed skills and armor before doing champion. Accuracy is king and trinkets that increase it are always worth considering, even if they come with a +stress% modifier. The Endless Harvest mission is the true randomized one but I think the original 2 have some randomization as well.

Bleed is generally inferior in the cove and ruins, and blight is generally inferior in the warrens and Weald.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah in general you want to stay away from champion dungeons until you have the guild/blacksmith maxed out. You're at a significant handicap if you can't max out your heroes. Once you do have them with all their gear/skills maxed out though they aren't actually that much harder, the same tactics that got you through the veteran dungeons will still work.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Two collector fights in a row gently caress you game :argh:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
In 2, I've been generally going for the lair boss in my first region if the inn combat items are decent, I've got about an 80 percent success rate beating them but sometimes at high stress cost.

I know the answer differs based on lots of factors but is it a bad idea and should I just be waiting until the second region to tackle them?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

eleven extra elephants posted:

In 2, I've been generally going for the lair boss in my first region if the inn combat items are decent, I've got about an 80 percent success rate beating them but sometimes at high stress cost.

I know the answer differs based on lots of factors but is it a bad idea and should I just be waiting until the second region to tackle them?

Depends on where specifically the lair is located in the first region. If it's near the end then you might find a few things along the way that can help you, if it's the first node right out of the gate then maybe avoid it

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

eleven extra elephants posted:

IIRC there's a few concessions made to 1st region lair bosses, like the librarian having a slightly larger bookstack distribution, so no it is not necessarily a bad idea assuming you have a team that matches up with that particular lair boss decently.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I think of this in roguelike terms, better to crash a run on the literal first node possible than three zones in. If you have a team that can handle the bosses mechanics anyway.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

When I was playing a bunch, I would almost always aim to kill the lair boss in all 3 regions if possible, you wind up with an absolutely absurd amount of loot and extra skill points as a result, which lets you take more valuable/dangerous routes in later regions snowballing the whole run pretty hard. Important part is just picking up combat items to help kill the first boss and only taking ones your team comp is good against and generally swapping someone out for the bounty hunter if he shows up in the first inn. If your team has poor back reach without pulls or whatever, then probably don't mess with the librarian, but most parties should be able to take on the general with some lovely combat throwables or the harvest child. Disclaimer that I didn't use the penalty torches nor did the collector exist at the time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'd say if you can beat the first lair boss then definitely go after them in the next two regions because you'll likely snowball through and it ensures you'll get a trophy actually useful vs the chapter boss.

First region has the highest risk/reward second the best balance and third the best chances but marginal benefit.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I think of this in roguelike terms, better to crash a run on the literal first node possible than three zones in. If you have a team that can handle the bosses mechanics anyway.

This is true in theory but it can be frustrating to be 0-3 in first node boss attempts due to poor optimization/RNG.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Einwand posted:

When I was playing a bunch, I would almost always aim to kill the lair boss in all 3 regions if possible, you wind up with an absolutely absurd amount of loot and extra skill points as a result, which lets you take more valuable/dangerous routes in later regions snowballing the whole run pretty hard.

Yeah, I'm generally stuck in the mindset of 'more fights = more good' and attempt the same but sometimes I can't tell if i'm handicapping myself due to having to avoid other fights in the recovery period immediately after the boss. I didn't really notice stuff like the Librarian stacks being different so that's good to know, thanks all.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just had a frustrating battle with the Beguiling Siren in DD1. My party was Bounty Hunter, Houndmaster, Vestal, and Antiquarian, with the usual plan of letting the weak Antiquarian join the Siren while my Houndmaster targeted her and the Bounty Hunter killed her. Unfortunately, the Bounty Hunter contracted Vampiric Spirits during the quest, which meant his debuff resistance dropped and he became the number one target for the Beguiling Siren. I slowly whittled down the boss's health, but the Antiquarian got killed by my own Bounty Hunter. Despite holding a Martyr's Seal, she died to the very first deathblow. But thanks to my Houndmaster, we were able to kill the big Siren anyway.

I've already beaten the final boss on this Stygian playthrough, so now I'm just hunting down the remaining sidebosses.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
DD2 got a new patch a month ago
https://www.darkestdungeon.com/news/darkest-dungeon-ii-september-update-retail-release
Big changes: Enemy death blow resistance is gone. They get death armor which prevents their death at 0 but is removed by damage. Hero paths are changeable at inns. Replacement heroes can be selected at an inn instead of auto assigned previously.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I'm giving dd2 a while to grow before I go back in to finish it. I feel like it's at a pre corpses state currently.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's really good where it's at, it's an awesome game and you should play it.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Oh I have, and it is, it's just I'm 95% sure in two years they'll have made a ton of massive improvements to it.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
https://youtu.be/SZS3aQl7ByU?si=jNtpbgzTyvzRUnpn

Roy’s boys.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
They ever confirm if they’re going to do console releases? The first got them so I’m just wondering.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

unattended spaghetti posted:

They ever confirm if they’re going to do console releases? The first got them so I’m just wondering.

Redhook has promised to bring DD2 to consoles. It was said late 2023 or 2024, so next year is a good bet.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Guess I won't be seeing qol changes anytime soon.

Anyone know how long it takes infestation level to go up in dd1? I tried looking but the wiki doesn't say and all I can find is people whining about how long it took when it released and patch notes saying they shortened it.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was really hoping for a new region to be in the first DLC. Two classes and a mini-boss is ok, but nothing that's worth spending more than $5 on imo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lister posted:

I was really hoping for a new region to be in the first DLC. Two classes and a mini-boss is ok, but nothing that's worth spending more than $5 on imo.

I would want different bosses for the regions.

VVV oh God, a way to skip to the first inn would be so good...

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 9, 2023

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I would pay $30 for a fast forward button during the coach segments DLC.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Lister posted:

DD1's first DLC was pretty underwhelming too. 1 new class and 3 new enemies. im pretty sure the new enemies only showed up in her nightmare sequences too

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I also thought there would be a new region in the pipe because in EA they implied cutting one potential region to finish the characters/chapter bosses in a timely fashion.

I'm guessing desert biome, pyramids and spooky mummies! Probably next halloween.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

recently rebooted DD2, trying out different teams than what i used for sygian/grand slam. Not having a MAA hurts so much.

liking some of the changes. Feels like act 4 boss is harder than what i remember, or maybe my team just kinda sucked.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
DDII DLC is on the experimental branch. MAA got nerfed RIP. Nerfed Crush, Rampart, Retribution (riposte) cooldown increased, lost the block token. Bolster lost its weak/vuln cleanse.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I grabbed DD2 a month or two ago and finally beat all 5 acts. I was planning on going for the Grand Slam achievement to give me a reason to keep playing, but then I realized I don't actually care that much. Part of what made DD1 good to me was the attachment to your good characters where you kind of get an adrenaline rush if you are getting close to losing one, like there was a real sense of danger, and the Roguelite format got rid of that where you just start over. The runs seemed a bit long but also not very different for something that you are supposed to replay a bunch. I still enjoyed the game enough where I feel I got my moneys worth, but at least for me it feels like there are many decisions where I wonder "how did they think this was a good idea". Alt tabbing until your wagon hits something seemed like a poor game design, and probably adds 30% of the time to each run.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How's team composition variety atm? What I like about this sort of roguelikes is trying out character combinations but in DD1 I felt a bit restricted in terms of some characters being very situational. Is 2 a bit more flexible in that regard? I finished 1 a looong time ago and I don't really mind the switch to a more run-based structure, which seems to be the main criticism levied at the game?

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 12, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Azran posted:

How's team composition variety atm? What I like about this sort of roguelikes is trying out character combinations but in DD1 I felt a bit restricted in terms of some characters being very situational. Is 2 a bit more flexible in that regard? I finished 1 a looong time ago and I don't really mind the switch to a more run-based structure, which seems to be the main criticism levied at the game?

I think so. There's 5 active skills you can use and 11 total and many heroes feel more self sustaining. Grave Robber, for instance has two self heals in the sequel. More heroes have stress heals, each hero has 3 'paths' which thematically alter their skills- for instance Highwayman has a path specializing in ranged, one in being a Frontliner, and one as a melee/token augment hero. This gives a lot of potential combinations you can set up.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Along that same line, I think the Leper is the worst champion. His inability to hit the back row really limits his utility in quite a few boss battles.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One big thing for party comp flexibility is that healing is not the mandatory thing it was in DD1. In-combat healing itself is generally less effective than the first game and you get automatic recovery outside of combat so attrition is less of a problem (it's not instant though so hitting a bunch of battles in a row can be a problem). There are still party comps that are going to be a lot easier/stronger than others so it's not a total "you can just run with whatever and make it work" thing but it's less restrictive than it used to be.

Although on the other side of things, I have seen some people complain that maybe too many party comps are viable because a common thing people tend to do is just run with the four starting heroes and never even bother unlocking any others since it turns out those four are good enough. There is a bit of a need to experiment just for the sake of experimentation, the game doesn't really push you as hard to find the "right" builds.

RVWinkle posted:

Along that same line, I think the Leper is the worst champion. His inability to hit the back row really limits his utility in quite a few boss battles.

Leper is hard to use but can be pretty drat broken if you build your party around him. Especially if you get lucky with trinkets and get that one that gives +66% crit rate if the hero is blinded - stick that on a leper and pair him with someone who can apply combo so he can ignore the miss chance and watch him poo poo out absurd damage.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 12, 2023

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Party comp is definitely more flexible, and it helps that healing happens on the road so even more damage focused teams have that and items to help them out. The restriction is more in unlocking abilities, a lot of characters are very restricted in role until they have a key ability or their full kit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

RVWinkle posted:

Nah, he's a frontline support with multiple taunts and some of the highest potential move resist in the game. Intimidate can hit any location and has a great combination of Weak+taunt letting him tank single digit damage from enemies and bosses, and can potentially also apply vulnerable and combo with the right setup. His blind gimmick is easy to work around.

Purge also does a good job offsetting his limitations, for instance vs librarian you can push book stacks behind the librarian with it which benefits all heroes since overall most of your cumulative damage is from skills that target rank 1/2.

He's got amazing synergy with Jester who can combo targets for him and help ensure he stays in rank 1.

Really I feel his limitations lie in some skills that feel too niche to be worth it 99% of the time. Ruin is too slow to build up effectively, Break is only viable on targets with multiple block tokens and Bash is nice in thory but hard to find enemies vulnerable enough to immobilize and being stuck in rank 1 but tough enough to survive longer than 1 round to justify wailing on them like this.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I'm not saying that the Leper is bad, only that he's the weakest of the available champions due to his limited attack range. There are too many bosses that require you to attack the back ranks and I tend to build my teams around the bosses I want to fight.

You can make fun gimmick builds but you usually sacrifice utility and end up getting punished because of it. For example, Monarch Lepers are a burden until you fight some cultists, except they tend to load the front ranks with evade and block tokens. In addition, if he requires a combo token to be effective, you're essentially limiting the utility of two characters because they have to use their turn to put out a combo token every time before the Lepers turn. For example, if your Jester is dedicated to putting combo tokens in the front ranks, the Leper effectively loses a turn if you need the jester to do anything else, like a stress heal.

Lepers combo well with the Jester but so does everyone so I'm not sure that's a good example. I tend to prefer using the Jester with someone who can hit the back ranks, like the highwayman.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm at the point where I only use the leper for tanking. Having to rely on tokens or getting super lucky with trinkets is just too inconsistent for me, he does do absurd damage under the right circumstances though.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Thank god they've finally introduced party comp saving, shame it took the sacrifice of MaA to get it. 🫡

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I like how some of the hero traits make them play very differently. I usually choose my party composition by picking the four with the best traits.

I still prefer DD1, but the traits and the relationship system in the sequel are both huge improvements.