Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chamale posted:

I like how some of the hero traits make them play very differently. I usually choose my party composition by picking the four with the best traits.

I still prefer DD1, but the traits and the relationship system in the sequel are both huge improvements.

Hero traits? You mean quirks or paths? Both can have amazing synergy if you get lucky. Great example: Breacher. Now people will argue Breacher is terrible for backliners. I disagree! Because every hero has a path to make Breacher viable. It's either incredibly good based on that hero already, or is good based on the particular class. Some examples:

Plague Doctor-Surgeon, stab+Bleed for nice damage, have an ally shift her back afterwards.
Occultist Aspirant, same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Panfilo posted:

Hero traits? You mean quirks or paths? Both can have amazing synergy if you get lucky. Great example: Breacher. Now people will argue Breacher is terrible for backliners. I disagree! Because every hero has a path to make Breacher viable. It's either incredibly good based on that hero already, or is good based on the particular class. Some examples:

Plague Doctor-Surgeon, stab+Bleed for nice damage, have an ally shift her back afterwards.
Occultist Aspirant, same thing.

Yes, I meant quirks. I love Breacher, it's a powerful ability and it really transforms the strategy of a campaign.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Playing around with the new heroes:

Duelist easy to learn, difficult to master. Instructice is pretty fun with the shenanigans you can pull; 3 stress is absolutely worth getting a WHOLE FREE TURN (not just free action!). Out of the deal. With lovers glove (Again! Gives speed token and auto defensive stance ) and oversprung pocket watch you have obscene action economy; feint to reverse stance then when you proc the free action you use Again! On an ally. They'll get two turns and go first next round. Even just defensive stance+riposte alone is good because kills give restoration and by killing on enemy turns you get the heal proc faster (example: enemy drops her to DD+2 Bleed she ripostes and kills them, then on her turn the heal procs saving her life). Thought about giving her Murder weapon seeing as she can riposte like crazy which could proc the execute more often.

Crusader is great though perhaps the product of power creep as he blows the Leper out of the water with a ton of overlap in function with greater versatility. Some people might feel tied to having burn teams to make the most of his kit but it's not required. His upgraded version of heal and stress heal also boost himself, really my only issue is some skills outclasing others in utility. Great damage, great sustain, always have some recourse in whatever position you're in. Aggressor+pilfered wealth gives you token steal and str tokens on kills, and I got good use on execute vs burning enemies (particularly nice in Tangle).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Seeing this thread pop back up got me to try the DLC, and I got to see something I'd never seen before when I beat the game on release:

My first ever polycule!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Who got left out?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The flagellant. lol.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

The flagellant. lol.

Seems fair enough, there are health concerns there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only amorous relationships I’ve had appear in DD2 involved either a leper or a flagellant

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I see that the leper is now immune to leperosy, which, good job devs!

I'm enjoying the changes since release, mostly.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I just started out on dd2 (finally!).

Are there any sort of pitfalls (game management wise, not in game wise) that I should be on the look out for?

I have unlocked the jester, flagellent, and the hellion.

Looking around online, it says that I should be spending candles on Inn unlocks, stage coach stuff, and trinket unlocks, along with hero advancements. I have unlocked the pet, and I have a few wagon upgrades, which are probably a waste of candles at this point, but :shrug:.

Once I have a successful run, then I start spending candles on memories. Hopefully by then I have my poo poo together and know what I'm doing.

DLC (for Roy and the other person) is worth it, when it goes on sale, yeah?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
No not really, you earn candle every run to purchase upgrades. You can't really screw anything up progression wise.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Popete posted:

No not really, you earn candle every run to purchase upgrades. You can't really screw anything up progression wise.

Any advice for shrines of reflection order?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Legit Businessman posted:

Do them based on how much candle unlocks you've had on each hero and work your way down. The skill progression isn't really linear so it's not like the last unlock is the best, it's just the last story chapter of a hero unlocks the last two skills they have. Just go for every shrine you can, typically only ch 2 and 4 of the story require you to do a puzzle mission and several of them are impossible to fail, they're just a way to advance the story. And don't feel too embarrassed to look up the solution to them - Jester's second story mission for instance isn't intuitive unless you're really paying attention.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

yeah it's not really dd1 like in that if you gently caress up there are fail states. there are definitely characters who benefit more than others from shrine unlocks, like the vestal gets a lot from shrines, but it doesn't make the biggest difference. if you're not looking up strategies, there's enough shrines to unlock pretty much everything by the time you're ending act 5

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

I just started out on dd2 (finally!).

Are there any sort of pitfalls (game management wise, not in game wise) that I should be on the look out for?

I have unlocked the jester, flagellent, and the hellion.

Looking around online, it says that I should be spending candles on Inn unlocks, stage coach stuff, and trinket unlocks, along with hero advancements. I have unlocked the pet, and I have a few wagon upgrades, which are probably a waste of candles at this point, but :shrug:.

Once I have a successful run, then I start spending candles on memories. Hopefully by then I have my poo poo together and know what I'm doing.

DLC (for Roy and the other person) is worth it, when it goes on sale, yeah?

There's no such thing as a waste or major pitfalls really, it's a run based game and you can continue to play previous acts as often as you like (you are only locked into selecting the next act the first time you complete the previous one). And you should, unlocks help a lot. The early stage coach upgrades that give +1 armor and +1 wheels are almost a necessity, get them asap; extra candle spawns can be nice too. Resourcefulness: the one that gives you extra money at the start of the run is also worth a few early points, having some spending cash really helps kickstarting a run.

For the item unlocks, pay attention to the tiers, each category has the items grouped by tiers and the category goes up in candle costs by that tier; this is the only way to tell in fact. All inn item tiers are pretty great, combat and stage coach peak early at tier 1 (the others are still good, just not as much bang for the buck). Trinkets peak mid to late, but you do want them eventually as they really bump your power.

Otherwise do Hero stuff, especially all 3 paths per Hero, cosmetics as you like. Memories and challenge flames are probably the least important as those can complicate the runs a bit (though by all means, grab them if you want them).

The DLC is 10 bucks where I'm at; worth it whenever you want the new characters I'd say.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Paths make the heroes really fun but I feel like there's a bit of power creep with them, newer heroes I feel have more balanced or dynamic paths that actually modify the skills mechanics rather just a "glass cannon" and "tank" variant. But some are really wonky.

Intermezzo: Your stress heal Bleeds allies? But in exchange echoing march procs a Bleed when the target moves. Oh and your other support skills can proc random buffs. I feel this isn't worth the tradeoff. Compare it to the other Jester paths: Soloist, which is comfortably mid; it's a glass cannon+Bleed path but also suffers with speed which is the biggest issue with it. Still, it's got good synergy with both severed finger and busking cup trinkets. Then you have Virtuouso, which trades hp for resist but also has extra speed and can randomly make heroes stress immune. Unlike the other two, this is a really good net trade.

Carcass: I see what they were going with this, but I feel that Monarch does it better. She turns winded tokens into block but it's not guaranteed and she sacrifices a lot of damage potential to be a bit more tanky. Yawp having taunt is decent and it can be OK when a pair of weakened enemies focus on a Hellion with block tokens. But you can do this better with other heroes. Berserker is kind of meh compared to other Bleed path heroes (If it Bleeds isn't as useful as harvest/slice off) and Ravager is excellent. Keep her in rank 1 and wreck havoc.

Physician: She gives up DoT damage for better support skills. Stun pen isn't as great in the sequel because you have to set it up with combo tokens. Surgeon is fine as a rank 3 stabber/healer (or if she starts with breacher lol). Alchemist is probably the best path in the game for what you get, blight is super reliable.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i really wish choosing a path would upgrade the skill tool tips too. its does it for flagellant but no one else

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Kly posted:

i really wish choosing a path would upgrade the skill tool tips too. its does it for flagellant but no one else

It does for Vestal too

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Panfilo posted:

And don't feel too embarrassed to look up the solution to them - Jester's second story mission for instance isn't intuitive unless you're really paying attention.

Thank god my actual music degree paid off here. I can see why someone who isn't familiar with music would be very confused as to what is going on.

Not me though, money well spent on my education! :v:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is there any way to figure out what a boss enemy is doing to my party without looking it up online? I just got wiped by the dreaming general and I have no idea what happened. I am playing on the steam deck so the ui is a bit hosed, but I cannot figure out what any of these stacks are that my party got strangled with.

E: to be clear, I can figure it out easily by reading about it on a wiki, but I’m curious if there is a way that I can learn what is happening from the game.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 20, 2024

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

Is there any way to figure out what a boss enemy is doing to my party without looking it up online? I just got wiped by the dreaming general and I have no idea what happened. I am playing on the steam deck so the ui is a bit hosed, but I cannot figure out what any of these stacks are that my party got strangled with.

E: to be clear, I can figure it out easily by reading about it on a wiki, but I’m curious if there is a way that I can learn what is happening from the game.

Sort of? I had issues with the same boss, but it's not going to tell you loving anything about how to "solve" that fight. (which is both infuriating and how dd plays, which is at least consistent)

Start with the following - how many monsters are on the battlefield when you fight the dreaming general?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
All the bosses in the game have some sort of unique mechanic to them that the game intends for you to figure out via observation/experimentation, sometimes over a couple of different attempts/runs. The degree to which you are expected to lose, or are capable of powering through without having figured it out kinda depends. I think the Dreaming General is probably the most puzzly/most punishing until you do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think pushing one of the analog sticks down when the cursor is over an enemy gives more detail. Mouse over the taproot (the tree thing behind him) to see.

The taproot applies a special debuff to two heroes a turn. This is in two tiers, the first tier just slows them that round but the second tier completely disables them and stresses allies. If all heroes are tied up like this the boss does a nuke and resets the effect.

So long as you can target and hit the taproot with an ability (doesn't have to be damage) it mitigates the effect on one hero. This means you'll have to dedicate two heroes to targeting the taproot while the others hit the boss, making the fight a bit of a slog.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I think pushing one of the analog sticks down when the cursor is over an enemy gives more detail. Mouse over the taproot (the tree thing behind him) to see.

The taproot applies a special debuff to two heroes a turn. This is in two tiers, the first tier just slows them that round but the second tier completely disables them and stresses allies. If all heroes are tied up like this the boss does a nuke and resets the effect.

So long as you can target and hit the taproot with an ability (doesn't have to be damage) it mitigates the effect on one hero. This means you'll have to dedicate two heroes to targeting the taproot while the others hit the boss, making the fight a bit of a slog.

Talking about General specific strategies (reader beware and such):
There's a couple of abilities that can hit the taproot and the General at the same time, Occultist spaghetti and PD's plague grenade spring to mind. You can also tap the root with combat items which is a nice way of setting up extra/different actions with your heroes that turn. Both combined helps a lot in speeding up the fight and honestly I wouldn't consider doing it without as the stress buildup from a longer fight can very easily tank your run.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 20, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
MaA bellow will also affect it though it has a 1 round cooldown . In general you want the two heroes with "weaker" attacks to be the ones to target it so that the higher dmg heroes can dps down the boss if possible.

PD/Occ is definitely optimal though in lieu of that there's a few other heroes that can hit the taproot, the important thing is hitting it twice. When it gets down to around 30hp you can probably just wail on the boss at that point to wrap up the fight.

Another protip for this boss, collector shambler and a few others: the very first round is kind of a freebie for the player; many boss gimmick effects happen near or at the end of the round depending on hero speed. This gives you a round to set up things like buffs, reposition, etc.

Dreaming Generals trophy is rather mid. The utility one gives -75% trinket prices which can be OK if you find a hoarder next region with really good trinkets. The combat one perma immobilizes your party which can counter other boss shuffle effects (librarian, shambler) and doubles dmg vs corpses.

Honestly one of the better trinkets you can get from him is Reverberating Redoubt, which does 2dmg to attacker and gives you a 20% chance of free action if hit if you had 2 or less speed. This is great on tanks and the little dmg reflect will kill attackers on deaths door if they have no tokens, it also triggers independent of riposte so say a MaA will get hit, reflect 2dmg,THEN do his riposte hit good for burning through deathblow tokens on enemies.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dreaming General is the easiest stage boss IMO once you're wise to his schtick. By way of comparison, I think LIbrarian isn't that bad but is the hardest if you have the wrong team composition. Both want you to be able to hit the back row, Librarian wants you to actually damage the back row.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Librarian also has some randomness to it that can screw you. Usually you get 2 book stacks with 30hp and one with 45 hp. Since page burner does 15 dmg to a stack that gives you 7 rounds to kill him before he gets into rank 1 and goes apeshit on you. But you can sometimes have a stack with only 15hp, causing him to fry it instantly and Burning Bright you on round 1.

Any abilities that can push the books behind him make it significantly easier. He tends to page burner the stack in front of him if he can, so by pushing a stack with only 15hp left he'll start burning the next one instead, delaying when he triggers burning bright and moving him closer to you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Dreaming General is the easiest stage boss IMO once you're wise to his schtick. By way of comparison, I think LIbrarian isn't that bad but is the hardest if you have the wrong team composition. Both want you to be able to hit the back row, Librarian wants you to actually damage the back row.

This is kind of true for all the bosses really - some of them are absolute nightmares with the wrong team comp but total pushovers for others. Some team comps can clear all of them without problems at all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hardest boss for me is the Child (after the Obsession, ofc).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Harvest child if you can keep him out of rank 1 is not nearly as bad. He can only use his nuke in that position. If you have any nets you can immobilize a meat dish in rank 1 which I think prevents him from moving forward (you can also immobilize him but the dish might be easier). Similarly, if you can immobilize your rank 1 hero it prevents others from getting in rank 1 and wasting their action /losing max hp.

This is an interesting example of how the general trophy can be extremely helpful; with it only the rank 1 hero will have to deal with the hunger effect. And unlike librarian he's not even immune to his regions 'element' so an Alchemist PD can still blight him fairly consistently in addition to other DoT types. He's also one of the few bosses that completely lacks a full party cleave, so the rank 3/4 heros usually avoid the worst of his kit.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Harvest child can be debuffed and nuked. I fair better against him/her. Very predictable outside of the hunger mechanic. Dreaming general is my worst because it's so long. It's designed to punish comps without heavy dots or consistent back row damage. Even the leviathan isn't that bad to me compared to general.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

temple posted:

Harvest child can be debuffed and nuked. I fair better against him/her. Very predictable outside of the hunger mechanic. Dreaming general is my worst because it's so long. It's designed to punish comps without heavy dots or consistent back row damage. Even the leviathan isn't that bad to me compared to general.

You don't need back row damage, just affect, preferably a cleave but any item or debuff can also work. If you can control the root the main other thing you really need is stress healing, because it is the stress that will gently caress you up the most--even if you win the fight you might just have a tanked run because of the stress and effects on affinity. You're right about the dots but then than can be said of any major enemy in this game, dot damage is kinda bonkers.

Funny thing about the Harvest Child: You can blind the meat to make it roll to miss, and which meat affects which ranks is consistent (though I do always forget which is which).

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Samovar posted:

Hardest boss for me is the Child (after the Obsession, ofc).

The obsession boss is a goddamn nightmare unless you know exactly what to do in the fight. He killed my party like 5 times before I looked up how to do it which I would have never figured out on my own.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

IIRC you don't have to actually hurt the taproot in the Sleeping General fight to get it to release someone, even combat items like blinding grenades work.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

General's design annoys me, the whole fight is too you know it or you don't. A little variability would be nice, since once you know the mechanic it's a really boring fight where you know you'll win (unless bad crits happen) and you're just slowly seeing how bad the stress is coming from it.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Field Mousepad posted:

The obsession boss is a goddamn nightmare unless you know exactly what to do in the fight. He killed my party like 5 times before I looked up how to do it which I would have never figured out on my own.

They've changed how it works multiple times now. The original version was incredibly lovely.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Came back to the game after a long hiatus, I really like all the changes they've made to their systems. Big fan of replacing death resist with death counters and removing the turn limits on enemy encounters. Destroyed bosses 2 and 3 first try with the same team comp (PD, GR, Flagellant, Hellion), alas my hellion did not survive that last encounter: 10 turns on full blast, eating 75+ dmg per round during phase 2... I can't even complain, Boudica is a loving champ. :unsmith:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah Hellion is a lot of fun in the sequel. She gets bonus dmg when her health is low, and her heal is an unusual heal over time. Toe To Toe has great action economy, giving you a bit of damage, self immobilize, and taunt all in one.

While it's nerfed from before, you can still unload some pretty good numbers with Howling End.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I like the new patch with Highwayman and Grave Robber rebalance. At first it looked like a major nerf to Sharpshot Highwayman but the new Double Tap mechanic is pretty interesting. Moving grapeshot to the back row kinda sucks though.

The Grave Robber's skills are more interesting now but taking a turn to move into stealth usually doesn't fit into my play style as I prefer to kill things fast. I basically play this class with the cultist pet hoping that I find that 50% stealth trinket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

RVWinkle posted:

I like the new patch with Highwayman and Grave Robber rebalance. At first it looked like a major nerf to Sharpshot Highwayman but the new Double Tap mechanic is pretty interesting. Moving grapeshot to the back row kinda sucks though.

The Grave Robber's skills are more interesting now but taking a turn to move into stealth usually doesn't fit into my play style as I prefer to kill things fast. I basically play this class with the cultist pet hoping that I find that 50% stealth trinket.

I really wish there was just a better way in game to communicate the changes that these style of kit changes bring. It's not enough to simply list the skills changed with no further insight into how they are being changed.

Now that I've beaten the game, what is left to do? Challenge runs with the different Blue Torches? Try to get a grand slam going? By the by, what is the best team to tackle a grand slam? PD/Jester/Hwm/MAA?